View Full Version : Good article on Federer, again

MaxT
05-24-2006, 07:18 AM
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/bfd5b860-e779-11da-9046-0000779e2340.html

Ripper
05-24-2006, 08:58 AM

Starts like this:

Roger Federer has a touch of Roman emperor about him. Itís that Roman nose, the statuesque torso, the fixed regal gaze, the headband doubling as a laurel wreath, but also the thought he gives to his place in history.

"I am the best player of this generation..."

Hopefully, that'll make people curious enough to, actually, read it, lol.

Fatmike
05-24-2006, 09:04 AM
Starts like this:

Roger Federer has a touch of Roman emperor about him. Itís that Roman nose, the statuesque torso, the fixed regal gaze, the headband doubling as a laurel wreath, but also the thought he gives to his place in history.

"I am the best player of this generation..."

Hopefully, that'll make people curious enough to, actually, read it, lol.

You know, when you see movies critics on the advertising of a movie, you actually see something like :" best movie of the year " and it is signed by a famous movie criticer.

When you go and read the complete critic, you often see something like: "what could have been the best movie of the year is actually crap"

now, about that Roger article:

"Roger Federer has a touch of Roman emperor about him. Itís that Roman nose, the statuesque torso, the fixed regal gaze, the headband doubling as a laurel wreath, but also the thought he gives to his place in history.

ďI am the best player of this generation, but as for my position in the history of the game, I am not even near the best,Ē he mused after pocketing his latest US Open. The scroll of victories on his triumphal arch is still too short."

fastdunn
05-24-2006, 10:24 AM

It did not sound like something from someone with ample tennis knowledge.
It sounded like talking about tennis history without knowling much about it.
Very casual viewer's standpoint.

Simon Kuper, the author of the article, seems to write about all sports
but mostly about football in Financial Times.
I wouldn't call it as bad article but somewhat shallow and sometimes
has not really right assessments on various things.

Ripper
05-24-2006, 10:47 AM
You know, when you see movies critics on the advertising of a movie, you actually see something like :" best movie of the year " and it is signed by a famous movie criticer.

When you go and read the complete critic, you often see something like: "what could have been the best movie of the year is actually crap"

now, about that Roger article:

"Roger Federer has a touch of Roman emperor about him. It’s that Roman nose, the statuesque torso, the fixed regal gaze, the headband doubling as a laurel wreath, but also the thought he gives to his place in history.

“I am the best player of this generation, but as for my position in the history of the game, I am not even near the best,” he mused after pocketing his latest US Open. The scroll of victories on his triumphal arch is still too short."

Exactly. The idea was to get you curious (which I did ;) ). "I am the best player of this generation..." is not the same as "I am the best player of this generation, but as for my position in the history of the game, I am not even near the best" :)

bdawg
05-24-2006, 10:55 AM
this article is full of BS. IT would have gotten a C or C+ in any university english class.

MaxT
05-24-2006, 11:29 AM
This in the article should provoke certain people.

I like it, not your typical boring ones.

Fatmike
05-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Exactly. The idea was to get you curious (which I did ;) ). "I am the best player of this generation..." is not the same as "I am the best player of this generation, but as for my position in the history of the game, I am not even near the best" :)

Curious I was.....

AAAA
05-24-2006, 02:22 PM
“It’s even tough for me now to do the commentary at the French,” McEnroe writes. “I’ll often have one or two days when I literally feel sick to my stomach at just being there and thinking about that match.” Winning Paris “would have given me that final, complete thing that I don’t have now – a legitimate claim as possibly the greatest player of all time.”

complete.....legitimate.....sick to the stomach....