PDA

View Full Version : Should Marat ditch his Prestige?

Golden Retriever
05-24-2006, 10:41 AM
I think he could benefit from getting something with a bigger head than his Prestige. He looks really awkward hitting a 2HBH with his prestige. It looks like he is holding a pingpong paddle or something. He probably could use more topspin and improve his consistency from the bigger head. His style has Midplus written all over it.

mistapooh
05-24-2006, 10:44 AM
I think he's just in a slump =/. I saw the match when he beat Sampras with it and the bombing serve and dtl bh which he is famous for was just godly.

Golden Retriever
05-24-2006, 10:49 AM
I think he's just in a slump =/. I saw the match when he beat Sampras with it and the bombing serve and dtl bh which he is famous for was just godly.

He is now 6 yrs older and I find his groundstrokes lack the sting that was once there. Also, too many balls land short. He should be using the Radical. On him an OS would look like a Mid anyways.

aramis
05-24-2006, 11:28 AM
He is now 6 yrs older and I find his groundstrokes lack the sting that was once there. Also, too many balls land short. He should be using the Radical. On him an OS would look like a Mid anyways.
What about last year when he beat Fed at the Aus?
Wasn't he "old" then too?

Tchocky
05-24-2006, 11:32 AM
I think he should ditch his brain before he makes any equipment changes.

LowProfile
05-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Gasp! The Prestige Classic too demanding for Marat Safin?

Then of course it should be removed from the TW site. If Marat Safin cannot play effectively with that model, then god knows what it'll do to the game of the customers of TW.

Anyways my point is that if the PC is too demanding for a talent like Safin, then how on earth is it such a popular and venerated racquet? If his game spells midplus, then the PC should only be useable by a tiny fraction of the ATP professionals.

panic
05-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Tchocky is quite right in this one. Bigger head won't help him.

Grimjack
05-24-2006, 12:33 PM
He looks really awkward hitting a 2HBH with his prestige.

You can not possibly have ever seen Marat Safin hit a backhand.

The tiger does not look awkward hunting the antelope, Nureyev did not look awkward executing a tour en l'air, Jordan did not look awkward driving the lane, and Safin does not look awkward hitting a 2HBH. These are simple and unerring aesthetic truths of the physical universe. The man's backhand, while it may not help him to keep his head on straight, and may be prone to stretches of inconsistency, is anything but awkward.

You, sir, are a philistine.

On him an OS would look like a Mid anyways.

It's a sport; not a fashion show. The ball remains one size, the mechanics remain the same. You don't change gear as a professional because somebody thinks you'd look fresher if your racquet were more in proportion with your body.

You should probably just stick to following Nadal. Not only does he use a bigger racquet, but he also dresses to impress blokes.

arosen
05-24-2006, 09:04 PM
I think he could benefit from getting something with a bigger head than his Prestige. He looks really awkward hitting a 2HBH with his prestige. It looks like he is holding a pingpong paddle or something. He probably could use more topspin and improve his consistency from the bigger head. His style has Midplus written all over it.

Sometimes the ignorance of people posting on this board is so absurd it's funny. With his backhand Safin overpowered Federer at AO, Agassi at Masters, Sampras at USO. To question Safin's backhand is as moronic as questioning Nadal's forehand. What next, Sampras's serve looks too slow on a wind-up?

Vlad
05-24-2006, 09:34 PM
I am sure Marat's bh will look much prettier all of the sudden when he starts winning matches again..

superman1
05-24-2006, 09:39 PM
He's had some bad losses but he's also had some good wins. The most recent stuff I've seen of him was against Davydenko on hardcourts somewhere, maybe Nasdaq. He was hitting the ball harder from both sides than I've ever seen anyone consistently hit. Just imagine Skeletor struggling to return everything nice and flat right back to Safin, and then Safin ripping it right back. I think the racquet is fine.

serveitup911
05-24-2006, 09:41 PM
The racket is perfect for him. He has been using it for years. His backhand is one of the best on the tour; it is almost as good as mine. He is a large and muscular physical specimen, so the racket looks small compared to him.

MTChong
05-24-2006, 10:51 PM
The racket is perfect for him. He has been using it for years. His backhand is one of the best on the tour; it is almost as good as mine. He is a large and muscular physical specimen, so the racket looks small compared to him.

Haha, nice.

Yeah, be realistic man; his backhand is superb.

brownbearfalling
05-24-2006, 10:56 PM
\He looks really awkward hitting a 2HBH with his prestige. It looks like he is holding a pingpong paddle or something.
Sorry, I'd have to say I disagree as well. But imagine what he'd look like hitting with a 6.0 85.
________
Vaaapp vaporizer (http://essentialvaaappvaporizer.com)

TENNIS_IS_FUN
05-24-2006, 11:30 PM

whoa whoa whoa...marat is godly with the midsize prestige raquet...did you see his match w/ federer at the AO? That was godliness level right there....and you say he looks akward while hes hitting his 2 handed backhand? In my opinion, he has the nicest looking 2 hander in the game....perfect weight distribution.

pound cat
05-25-2006, 06:35 AM
Once again a player has taken advice from posters here, and Marat has switched rackets. And clothing sponsors. Here he is with his famous 2 handed bh.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/57607730.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=780858ABC91EC2141AB8080CDC8DAD22

Duzza
05-25-2006, 06:44 AM
link doesnt work....

Gugafan_Redux
05-25-2006, 06:50 AM
The tiger does not look awkward hunting the antelope, Nureyev did not look awkward executing a tour en l'air, Jordan did not look awkward driving the lane, and Safin does not look awkward hitting a 2HBH. These are simple and unerring aesthetic truths of the physical universe. The man's backhand, while it may not help him to keep his head on straight, and may be prone to stretches of inconsistency, is anything but awkward.

http://www.bobandaj.info/wp-content/applause.gif

Thanks, Grimjack. My faith is restored. I can tolerate another hundred or two hundred moronic threads now, until I find another nugget of persepective and humor! :D

omigod
05-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Tennis history is not littered with examples that switching racquets improved a pro's game. Its all skills dude!

johnkidd
05-25-2006, 09:52 AM
If anything it's his Forehand that goes through spells not his backhand. I'm not supporting a racket change, but with Marat changing something up (we know it won't be his lifestyle) might not hurt things.

BabolatFan
05-25-2006, 09:57 AM
For the sake of change, I wanna see him use a different racquet like Yonex or Babolat. To spark up attention and talk, why not Yonex RS001, no?

Vlad
05-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Once again a player has taken advice from posters here, and Marat has switched rackets. And clothing sponsors. Here he is with his famous 2 handed bh.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/57607730.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=780858ABC91EC2141AB8080CDC8DAD22

HAHA!!

yonex90
05-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Its funny when we use our own games to compare to the pros. They don't NEED any type of racquet. They play with the same racquet so they don't have to constantly adjust their games. They don't NEED and oversize or a midplus. Marat Safin could destroy us all with a wooden racquet with an 80 inch head.

BabolatFan
05-25-2006, 12:50 PM
Its funny when we use our own games to compare to the pros. They don't NEED any type of racquet. They play with the same racquet so they don't have to constantly adjust their games. They don't NEED and oversize or a midplus. Marat Safin could destroy us all with a wooden racquet with an 80 inch head.

Thank yor your gravy contribution in response to the threat title...:rolleyes:

rounick
05-25-2006, 07:39 PM
You can not possibly have ever seen Marat Safin hit a backhand.

It's a sport; not a fashion show. The ball remains one size, the mechanics remain the same. You don't change gear as a professional because somebody thinks you'd look fresher if your racquet were more in proportion with your body.

You should probably just stick to following Nadal. Not only does he use a bigger racquet, but he also dresses to impress blokes.

This is what I'm talking about.
Reading stuff like that makes me feel less alone!
For people like us,it's all about beauty and love of the game.
How could you not be a Marat fan?..

ibemadskillzz
05-25-2006, 07:51 PM
go tell a pro that they should change racquets, I want to see what they would say. you don't think they are using something that gives them optimum performance,? you dumb fool.

Golden Retriever
05-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Ok, I got the message loud and clear. Now excuse me while I get a new login name. Better yet, a new sport.

sandiegotennisboy
05-25-2006, 10:22 PM
marat is too busy drinking and humping his eurotrash groupies to care about reviving his career or fixing a stroke or getting a new stick for that matter.

DX_Psycho
05-26-2006, 01:50 AM
he doesn't need a new head size he needs a new head. mental case there.

omigod
05-26-2006, 03:57 AM
While changing racquets (headsizes etc.) may help a casual tennis hack, it loses its effect as you become more accomplished in the game.

Knowing what the ball feels like with your trusty racquet/string/string tension/(even paint) becomes your priority.

Plus it is still a myth that changing to racquet X improves gameplay.

Anyway, you'd think Safin is pretty happy with his racquet he used to win the US and the Aussie Open. May be he is just aint what he used to be :neutral:

Galactus
05-26-2006, 04:05 AM
Brilliant thread.

Almost as brilliant as the one started a month or two ago by someone suggesting that a 7-time Slam winner and 'pound-4-pound' best tennis player ever should switch from his Wilson nCode nTour90 to a larger-framed racquet.

Astounding stupidity.

pound cat
05-26-2006, 05:31 AM
Brilliant thread.

Almost as brilliant as the one started a month or two ago by someone suggesting that a 7-time Slam winner and 'pound-4-pound' best tennis player ever should switch from his Wilson nCode nTour90 to a larger-framed racquet.

Astounding stupidity.

Oh well, at least it gives you an opportunity to insult another poster.

brucie
05-26-2006, 05:33 AM
Marats snapped enough of them so he cant like them too much so I say yes to change!

johnkidd
05-26-2006, 06:28 AM
How is tossing out the idea that Safin switch sticks grounds for ridicule? Suggesting Federer do it yes, Marat? Thats another story. People keep going back to his Australian Open win. Folks that was almost a year and a half ago, and hasn't done much since. Maybe his run there was more indicative of a Bagdhatis or Johansson type run then the return of Marat to fulfill his destiny. I'll concede the injury last summer, but his results before the injury weren't that great. He had an awesome chance to go far in last years French Open and let that slip.

The fact that he has had wrist surgery, a slightly less demanding racket isn't that far fetched of a consideration.

Gugafan_Redux
05-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Ok, I got the message loud and clear. Now excuse me while I get a new login name. Better yet, a new sport.

Okay, there's been some harsh reactions here, some perhaps too strong. Don't take it personally, Golden Retriever. And if you're gonna change sports over it, that's taking it a bit far.

But apparently you hit a sore spot. Personally, I applauded Grimjack's response because Marat's BH is one of the most beautiful, fluid, and punishing shots out there. Most tennis fans, even those who can't get behind him because of his inconsistency and so-called wasted talent, can agree that this stroke is devastating and sublime. Practically (in terms of effectiveness) and aesthetically, it's a thunderous stroke. And in light of his mental fragility, and the fact that his forehand can go wonky, you could argue that Marat's BH is the foundation of his game. A game that won him Slam title over the indomitable and in-form Roger Federer on hard courts (the 2005 Oz).

Of all the current pros and all their strokes, Marat's Safin's BH is one that does not look awkward or need to be tinkered with. And for that reason, you got some sharp retorts.

http://av.tennis-warehouse.com/ppgal/MSAFIN/MSAFIN2005-001.jpg

Galactus
05-26-2006, 09:00 AM
Oh well, at least it gives you an opportunity to insult another poster.
Exactly.
It's like kicking a cripple...
:mrgreen:

Golden Retriever
05-26-2006, 10:28 AM
How is tossing out the idea that Safin switch sticks grounds for ridicule? Suggesting Federer do it yes, Marat? Thats another story. People keep going back to his Australian Open win. Folks that was almost a year and a half ago, and hasn't done much since. Maybe his run there was more indicative of a Bagdhatis or Johansson type run then the return of Marat to fulfill his destiny. I'll concede the injury last summer, but his results before the injury weren't that great. He had an awesome chance to go far in last years French Open and let that slip.

The fact that he has had wrist surgery, a slightly less demanding racket isn't that far fetched of a consideration.

Thanks for the support but I don't think the pain is ever going away. The damage is done, my subconscious has been scarred permanently. I will never look at this world the same way ever again. I have been hearing this voice in my head ever since I started this threat. OMG, I am hearing this voice in my head again.........................

Rabbit
05-26-2006, 10:48 AM
I think Marat should keep his Prestige and take up poker.

Gugafan_Redux
05-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the support but I don't think the pain is ever going away. The damage is done, my subconscious has been scarred permanently. I will never look at this world the same way ever again. I have been hearing this voice in my head ever since I started this threat. OMG, I am hearing this voice in my head again.........................

Threat vs. thread...

Maybe your subconscious is at work here.

monologuist
05-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Safin is probably one of the only players on tour that actually does justice to the Prestige mid. It is the perfect racquet for him; he is one of the cleanest ballstrikers ever, and generates so much natural power on his own that he can actually keep the ball deep all day long with that thing. Plus he hits the ball pretty flat and that racquet is perfect for maintaining the ultimate precision on such shots. The last thing he would ever need would be a racquet that gave him more power or a larger sweetspot.

Return_Ace
05-26-2006, 06:10 PM

e

m

o

?

;)

War, Safin!
09-17-2006, 03:32 AM
Terrible thread, even worse opening post.
If you don't know why, then you can't know much about tennis.

cmb
09-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Maybe hewitt needs a larger head size...not marat

donnyz89
09-17-2006, 01:01 PM
wow, I love safin's backhand... he needs mental training, not equipment change. his shots are there, hes got power, depth, just need some consistancy, not shotwise but mentally wise.