PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan Tennis Clubs

paul bunyan's mistress
05-24-2006, 01:19 PM
I'm going to be working in Manhattan for the summer and was hoping to fine tune my game. I played tennis in high school, but it's been 6 years since I've hit a ball. I definitely have not reached my peak as a player (right now, I'm probably between 3.0 and 3.5), and wanted to know if anyone's had experience with any of the particular coaches/clubs/clinics in Manhattan. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

-- PBM

BeachTennis
05-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Check out my friend KOKO at http://www.tennisnyc.com

They have all kinds of people playing tennis in nyc!

Roforot
05-24-2006, 05:01 PM
http://www.tennisnyc.com/rezaadeli22.jpg

"Reza Adeli (photo above) said smiling after doing drills/evaluation prior to playing with other league members. Reza underestimates his game, "I am a beginner!" but in reality, he is actually an intermediate player. "It's mental for me," he said. "Many times during match games, I will be up 5-0, then I would lose the set!"

If you want to toughen up, get rid of the fru-fru dog :)

In seriousness, looking at that site makes me homesick, but on the other hand I like not having to get up at 0530 to make reservations!

GuyClinch
05-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Well..

As a guy who grew up in the suburbs of boston - NYC is a bit shocking. Tennis courts are either tricky to come by (in prime time) or very expensive. Coaching is very expensive. I am taking a few private lessons in CP and at 50 - 60 dollars its a "bargain."

We need to know more. Where do you live in the city? How much time do you have to dedicate to tennis? What is your budget? How far are you willing to travel?

Some of the obvious places in the city - public courts like Central Park and the courts along the west side. Cheap but you will have to wait and can play for ONE HOUR. That's a shocker.

There are private indoor and outdoor places but of course they cost good money. Real estate is so expensive in Manhattan that even at 60 dollars in hour clubs are closing. It's not worth it to have tennis courts in the city.

Then we have places barely outside the city - Tennisport, Randall's island, USTA tennis center and so on. But IMHO the pain in the *ss ratio to get a court in and around the city makes really improving your game here a real hassle.

I realize other people might call me lazy and disagree but back in good old USA you can find a court and just play 5 hours with a friend. That's a way to really get better, IMHO.

Actually pretty much the whole time I have lived here I have been kicking myself for not playing more when I lived outside the city...

Pete

35ft6
05-25-2006, 04:00 AM
Tennis isn't that expensive in NYC if you just buy the public court pass. Just go on Craigslist and find people to play with. I think the pass is $50 or so. It's probably gone up since I last bought one. The best hard courts on Manhattan are up by Columbia's campus, and Central Park has pretty good clay courts.

schaef
05-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Indoor court time in NYC is expensive and hard to come by if you work "normal" 9-5ish hours.

My favorite indoor courts on Roosevelt Islands are truthfully only OK, with pay as you play prices being steep and membership options only offering a little more value.

NYC Parks and Recreation is the best deal. $100 now allows you to play on any outdoor court for 1 hour (this includes Central Park clay courts, West Side red clay courts and Flushing Meadow US Open Courts). But as others have said you need to show up early to reserve the court time and it is good for only 1 hour.

If you have a car, the most economical option (1/2 the NYC price for court time and reservations) I found is in NJ. Getting out there and back isn't as bad as you'd expect. If you live downtown in NYC, it is pretty much a wash in terms of driving out to NJ and getting up to Central Park.

If you give more details on where you are going to be living, what your schedule is like, what your budget is and what your transportation options are, then I can give you more specific advise.

paul bunyan's mistress
05-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the responses. I basically work M-F 9-6 in Midtown, live in Noho, and don't have a car. Cost isn't a totally debilitating factor, but I would like to keep cost down. So, I'd be willing to shell out $100 for a one-hour lesson or $40-50 for an hour of court time, although I find it hard to believe that any coach out there is good enough to warrant $100+/hr rates. Does anyone have experience with the tennis league at http://www.tennisnyc.com?

schaef: Is the $100 pass through NYC Parks and Recreation that you mentioned the same thing as the pass available at ******* Sports that allows you to play throughout the summer at the FDR courts?

PBM

BeachTennis
05-25-2006, 03:26 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/beachtennis/Img15.jpg

35ft6
05-25-2006, 05:38 PM
schaef: Is the $100 pass through NYC Parks and Recreation that you mentioned the same thing as the pass available at ******* Sports that allows you to play throughout the summer at the FDR courts?

PBM Yeah, probably. There are ways to get around the 1 hour thing. First off, most places don't care if you play two hours so long as you're not depriving somebody. At places where they DO care, like Central Park, just wait another hour, then go back on, or walk over to another site.

rasajadad
05-26-2006, 02:53 PM
You could hop a train out of Grand Central on the Hudson line. There's a stop before Tarrytown where there's a tennis club (Outdoors in summer, bubbled in winter). I can't remember the name right this sec., but some great players used to be there.

BeachTennis
05-26-2006, 02:57 PM
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/beachtennis/Img15.jpg

This is a must for any tennis player in the city !!

Send KoKo at www.tennisnyc.com a note and tell her Erik from Myrtle Beach said you would find them a game!!

I went to visit and played 5 hours in a row!!

Just have to be on the court and hear the bell ring and see the changing of the gaurd.

Every time I went to get off the court there was some one asking me to hit with them!

A must for any tennis player visiting NYC!

35ft6
05-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Central Park is a great place to be during Wimbledon. They don't have a big TV but a lot of the regulars, great NYC folks, most of them "older," like to sit around and make random comments. They really love tennis, and some of their coaching tips to the players on the set are pretty funny. Sort of reminds me of The Simpsons episode where major league ball players are employed as ringers for the nuclear power plant company team. Canseco or somebody hits a homerun, to which Burns brags "I told him to do that" as if his brilliant coaching was the primary cause.

Roddick The Beast
05-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Central Park is a great place to be during Wimbledon. They don't have a big TV but a lot of the regulars, great NYC folks, most of them "older," like to sit around and make random comments. They really love tennis, and some of their coaching tips to the players on the set are pretty funny. Sort of reminds me of The Simpsons episode where major league ball players are employed as ringers for the nuclear power plant company team. Canseco or somebody hits a homerun, to which Burns brags "I told him to do that" as if his brilliant coaching was the primary cause.*nods* You're an idiot! You totally went off-topic in that post, with the Simpsons episode, arsewipe! :mrgreen: <<end of test #7>>