PDA

View Full Version : Grip question

Juggurnaut
05-24-2006, 03:11 PM
I just got back from 3 hours at the courts working on various things (and showing off the guns ;) ), and while working on my forehand, I tried another grip. Now forgive me for my ignorance of terms, but I don't know the slightest thing about the different grips. I usually hold the racquet so the side of the grip is in the crook between my thumb and pointer finger. I found that in my swing, the face would be slightly open by the time I made contact with the ball, so I rotated the racquet a little to the left in my hand. Now, the knuckle of my thumb was on the side of the handle. I got some amazing shots, fast and right over the net like this. However, I also often had shots that went straight into the ground a few feet in front of me. Also, it just felt unnatural and uncomfortable on my swings.

So, what kind of grip is this? The ones I know of are:

- Continental
- Western
- Semi-Western
- Eastern

wyutani
05-24-2006, 03:20 PM
hello, hello. go to link below. it will explain everything. ur lucky, you caught me at the right time. enjoy~ :mrgreen:

http://tennis.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=&tier=4&id=E0E25DFF246E45A4A9D6F005280C53F2

g'day mate'...

Juggurnaut
05-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the reply Wyutani, that article was great. Turns out the grip that I usually use and that feels most natural is the Eastern, and the one I tried today was the Semi-Western.

Does anyone here use a SW grip? If so, how long did it take you to get used to it?

wyutani
05-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the reply Wyutani, that article was great. Turns out the grip that I usually use and that feels most natural is the Eastern, and the one I tried today was the Semi-Western.

Does anyone here use a SW grip? If so, how long did it take you to get used to it?

actually, the grip doesnt need to feel natural. if its un-natural, just practice using it. for example, i used to use the eastern forehand for a year till i start using the western grip. took me a month to be comfortable wif that grip, same case for my backhand which i used the extreme eastern, that actually took twice as long to learn my western forehand grip...

now, from my grips, you realise im a clay couter eh? geez~ i never played in hard-court before...just clay...:mrgreen:

Juggurnaut
05-24-2006, 04:09 PM
actually, the grip doesnt need to feel natural. if its un-natural, just practice using it. for example, i used to use the eastern forehand for a year till i start using the western grip. took me a month to be comfortable wif that grip, same case for my backhand which i used the extreme eastern, that actually took twice as long to learn my western forehand grip...

now, from my grips, you realise im a clay couter eh? geez~ i never played in hard-court before...just clay...:mrgreen:

I've actually never set foot on a clay court, there are none around here to my knowledge. I'd like to try one though, seems like a more faast paced game with the sliding and all. Thanks again for the help, it's good to know that things can take a while to get used to and still be effective. I'll go down and practice it a few hours each day and see how it turns out!