PDA

View Full Version : scud serve, BURNING!

wyutani
05-24-2006, 03:46 PM
anyone knows how to perform a scud serve? is it a kick serve? i guess if my own countrymen can do it, so can I. any idea mate'? :mrgreen:

nViATi
05-24-2006, 04:02 PM
SCUD = Mark Philloupousis'(Yeah, O slaughtered his name) nickname.
SCUD Serve = Mark Philloupousis' serve. Probably used to refer to his fast flat serve.

wyutani
05-24-2006, 04:04 PM
SCUD = Mark Philloupousis'(Yeah, O slaughtered his name) nickname.
SCUD Serve = Mark Philloupousis' serve. Probably used to refer to his fast flat serve.

so its a "flat" serve? no twisting like sampras? geez~ thanks mate'...:mrgreen:

pached
05-24-2006, 04:32 PM
I think he's talking about the serve that a character from Prince of Tennis uses, considering that the title says "BURNING" in it (from PoT as well).

xtremerunnerars
05-24-2006, 04:51 PM
choutarou ootori hits the scud serve, and taka-san says burning, though in one episode eiji says it, and i think kabaji might say it once?

Anyways, i'm not too sure how to hit one, as he's only a junior high student yet he serves 200 km/hr. Though, apparently having only one foot on the ground and kicking up some kind of dust helps

:-p

siber222000
05-24-2006, 07:00 PM
choutarou ootori hits the scud serve, and taka-san says burning, though in one episode eiji says it, and i think kabaji might say it once?

Anyways, i'm not too sure how to hit one, as he's only a junior high student yet he serves 200 km/hr. Though, apparently having only one foot on the ground and kicking up some kind of dust helps

:-p
kabaji doesn't say it ;)

Roddick The Beast
05-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Scud serve = Andy Roddick missile :mrgreen: Yes, the co-record-holder himself.

Bungalo Bill
05-24-2006, 08:06 PM
anyone knows how to perform a scud serve? is it a kick serve? i guess if my own countrymen can do it, so can I. any idea mate'? :mrgreen:

MP's serve was a dandy. Here are some of the highlights of how he explode into the ball:

1. Pinpoint stance: Mark would bring the back foot up for the pinpoint stance and balanced himself on his toes. His toes provided the perfect spring to launch himself into the ball.

2. Great extension in the hip forcing an angled knee bend that supported his up and outward movement up and into the ball.

3. Mark would also rock back on his back foot to prepare his toss and the pinpoint stance. Mark really pronounced this rock back on his back foot as if he was building momentum, which he was.

4. As he tossed, he resembled much of Sampras toss in the beginning until the ball was being released. Then both arms would go up high making a U shape between his racquet and his tossing arm with the bottom of the U being his shoulders. Both arms would be high in the air.

5. As he brought his back foot into the pinpoint, his hip went out a tad which forced down pressure on his front thigh muscles, with a good solid knee bend.

6. Mark's long arms, shoulder rotation, and tremendous arm flexibility/relaxation created tremendous torque, I mean tremendous.

7. He was an expert at braking the shoulders by bringing in his non-dominant arm INTO his body.

8. This along with solid rotation and his use of kinetic energy allowed a loose shoulder, a deep "backscratch" racquet position and a soon to accelerate hitting arm to simply catapult upwards to the ball.

9. Mark had a strong extension into the ball and the rest sounded like a Canon went off!

Mark has a lot of continuous movement in his serve and with him being able to stay loose and use his long arms, he hit SCUD missles.

Also, Mark used a Continental grip for his serves so the spins he put on the ball were similar amongst pros.
Hope that helped a little. He is one of my favorite servers. :)

Roddick The Beast
05-24-2006, 08:09 PM
MP's serve was a dandy. Here are some of the highlights of how he explode into the ball:

1. Pinpoint stance: Mark would bring the back foot up for the pinpoint stance and balanced himself on his toes. His toes provided the perfect spring to launch himself into the ball.

2. Great extension in the hip forcing and angled knee bend that supported his up and outward movement into the ball.

3. Mark would also raock back on his back foot to prepae his toss and the pinpoint stance. Mark really pronounced his rock back on his back foot as if he was building momentum which he was.

4. As he tossed, he resembled much of Sampras toss until the ball was near was released. Then both arms would go up high making a U shape between his racquet and his tossing arm with the bottom of the U being his shoulders. With the rocking to the back foot and this move, I believe Mark was generating a huge storage of pure energy. Both arms would be high in the air.

5. As he brought his back foot in to the pinpoint, his hip went out a tad which forced down pressure on his front thigh muscles, with a good solid knee bend.

6. Mark's long arms, shoulder rotation, and tremendous arm flexibility and relaxation created tremendous torque, I mean tremendous.

7. He was an expert at braking the shoulders by bringing in his non-dominant arm INTO his body.

8. This along with solid rotation and use of kinetic energy allowed a loose shoulder, a deep "backscratch" and a soon to accelerate hitting arm to simply takeoff upwards to the ball.

9. Mark had a strong extension into the ball and the rest sounded like a Canon went off!

Mark has a lot of continuous movement in his serve and with him being able to stay loose and use his long arms, he hit SCUD missles.

Also, Mark used a Continental grip for his serves so the spins he put on the ball were similar amongst pros.
Hope that helped a little. He is one of my favorite servers. :):shock:

:)

Andres
05-24-2006, 08:48 PM
What I like about Mark is he virtually has two flat first serves. It's been a while I don't see him with a topspin serve, lol !

Actually, it's been a while I don't see him playing... where is him? I miss him :cry:

He had a cannon in his arm :D

wyutani
05-24-2006, 08:50 PM
What I like about Mark is he virtually has two flat first serves. It's been a while I don't see him with a topspin serve, lol !

Actually, it's been a while I don't see him playing... where is him? I miss him :cry:

but actually mate', mark is famous for having the same speed and power for both his serve and groundstroke...

Bungalo Bill
05-24-2006, 08:52 PM

Guys, Mark could hit em' all. His claim to fame was his rocket 1st serve. But he had top, twist, and slice.

Andres
05-24-2006, 08:59 PM
but actually mate', mark is famous for having the same speed and power for both his serve and groundstroke...
Don't say this idiotic things. You posted this question, and you didn't even know who Philippoussis was...

And no, he can't hit a 140 mph forehand, nor a 140 mph backhand. And yes, his strokes were really powerful, but don't exaggerate.

Roddick The Beast
05-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Don't say this idiotic things. You posted this question, and you didn't even know who Philippoussis was...

And no, he can't hit a 140 mph forehand, nor a 140 mph backhand. And yes, his strokes were really powerful, but don't exaggerate.Haha, someone used Google! :mrgreen:

Andres
05-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Haha, someone used Google! :mrgreen:
Or even worse, Wikipedia :mrgreen:

wyutani
05-24-2006, 09:02 PM

And no, he can't hit a 140 mph forehand, nor a 140 mph backhand. And yes, his strokes were really powerful, but don't exaggerate.

Philippoussis' style of play is to hit every shot hard, and this accomplished by his amazing natural ability. Many players hit serves hard, but only Mark Philippoussis can hit a groundstroke at the same speed, earning the nickname Scud. He is widely regarded as the hardest hitter in the history of the game, next to Lew Hoad.

go here ---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Philippoussis

Roddick The Beast
05-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Or even worse, Wikipedia :mrgreen:Haha, I actually got that! . . . cause their source is so unreliable since anyone can just edit articles! :)

Roddick The Beast
05-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Philippoussis' style of play is to hit every shot hard, and this accomplished by his amazing natural ability. Many players hit serves hard, but only Mark Philippoussis can hit a groundstroke at the same speed, earning the nickname Scud. He is widely regarded as the hardest hitter in the history of the game, next to Lew Hoad.

go here ---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_PhilippoussisReallyROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Wikipedia"! Andres was sooo right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHhhahaa!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Andres
05-24-2006, 09:12 PM
I am the Angel, Roddick.
I know the unknown, and see the unseen ;)

Specially when talking about wyutani ;)

wyutani
05-24-2006, 09:14 PM
I am the Angel, Roddick.
I know the unknown, and see the unseen ;)

Specially when talking about wyutani ;)

ok, i admit, you caught me there...;)