PDA

View Full Version : Can this be Hingis's year to win elusive French title? Other contenders......

federerhoogenbandfan
05-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Could this be Hingis's year to win the French Open? I think it is a fair possability. There are 6 women with reasonable chances to win the French this year in my mind-Venus Williams, Martina Hingis, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters, Amelie Mauresmo, and Nadia Petrova, actually I was listing them in random order just now, but possably in this order as well all things considered.

Winning a tier 1 title right before the French, with alot of top players in the draw, will do alot for Hingis's confidence. Her win over Venus in the semis, after losing to her a couple weeks prior to that also will be a big boost for her.

Mauresmo should probably win the French this year if she plays to her full potential. Her heavy topspin shots are more effective on clay then any other surface, they were too much for the others, with the possable exception of Clijsters who was the only one to give her a tough match there, at the Australian Open this year. She has alot more confidence now that she knows how to win a slam, she seems to believe in herself alot more now. Still I could see her choking under the pressure of the French and you know this year the French public will fully expect her to win the title as World #1 and winning the last two biggest events(year-end last year, Aus Open this year), and also while her results have been very good since her Australian Open title, she hasnt exactly established herself as dominant either, no women is currently dominant on tour, or on clay, and the current World #1 Mauresmo is no exception.

Venus Williams can certainly win the French. I am quite surprised she hasnt, she actually is quite a bit better a clay court player then alot of people credit her for being. She has won alot of tier 1 and tier 2 titles on clay in her career and beaten all the top women on the surface multiple times. She seems to be in pretty good form since her return. While the slower clay difuses the power of alot of power-hitting women, she is one of the women who has so much power when she is in form that her shots penetrate right through the clay. Her incredable movement, even on the clay where she has a reasonable grasp on sliding and the footing, her reach, and her athletic ability, are all assets on clay. Still she hasnt had as many touraments as some of the other women, has not won one yet, and as said earlier has underachieved at the French, her lone final in 2002 where she lost to Serena is her only time past the quarters there so far.

Petrova I pick as a contender since she is red hot this year with 4 titles, and has been a semi-finalist at the French twice in the past, before she had even won a WTA title she made those two semis at the French in fact.

Henin-Hardenne is probably the Worlds best clay courter player of the current women when she is healthy enough for a substained period of time to train at full intensity, and play with full confidence and readiness for reach event. Although she has had a good year, she still is not back to the Henin of 2003-early 2004 though. I would not be at all surprised to see her defend her title, but she is far from a gimme pick.

Clijsters has always been one of the best clay courters, and like Mauresmo has the confidence of knowing she can win a slam title now, if she gets out of her own way, something she has trouble doing a couple of years she was a potential winner of the French(and a few other slams to boot)she could be the Champion in the end as well.

Still it looks wide open to me, atleast these 6 women all are right there with a chance and I would love to see Hingis finally win the French Open after so many close calls in her first career.

Andy Hewitt
05-24-2006, 03:54 PM
JHH will probably just retire again and she'll win it!

Warriorroger
05-25-2006, 12:57 AM
Steffi Graf should enter the tournament, she is Hingis's achilles.

bribeiro
05-25-2006, 02:53 AM
Steffi Graf should enter the tournament, she is Hingis's achilles.

Then seles should enter too, she is grafs achilles

Michael Haller
05-25-2006, 04:40 AM
Then seles should enter too, she is grafs achilles

And that is why Seles - while being #1 - lost 5 of 7 matches against Graf?:roll: :roll:

You are a newbie to tennis right?
Nothing wrong with that.
Bt check tennis history first before you embarrass yourself like this.