PDA

View Full Version : Volley Drills

Wtitanium
05-24-2006, 04:47 PM
What short court games do you use to improve volleys? Also, it would be best if the are not like one sided games, like where one person improves and one person just helps, because my partner needs to work on his also.

Lindros13
05-24-2006, 06:21 PM
How about both of you standing at the service line, and keep a volley going back and forth. If you occasionally let the ball bounce, no big deal, but practice controlled volleys to each other and see how long you can keep it going. You could take a step or two in if that helps make it easier, it depends upon how hard and deep you can each volley in a controlled manner.

I like to warm up doing this before hitting on most days, but I actually like to let the ball bounce and just take small controlled hits to each other for a little while before switching to the volley exercise described above.

Ken B.
05-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Rent a ball machine at the court and just have some heaters come after you. And both of you can benefit from it, just split the ball machine rental ;)

Bungalo Bill
05-24-2006, 07:44 PM
What short court games do you use to improve volleys? Also, it would be best if the are not like one sided games, like where one person improves and one person just helps, because my partner needs to work on his also.

The Micheal Chang drill is oneof the best to develop your legs, wind, and volleying.

kevhen
05-25-2006, 05:16 AM
Monday we did some volley drills and started about 5 feet off the net and tried to volley 20 in a row under control. Then we backed up another step and hit quick, low vollies for awhile and then moved back to the service court line where we could hit aggressively and could move in behind a good volley but at your own risk. Hitting all these vollies on Monday paid off for my doubles matches Tuesday and last night as I didn't miss very many and the two 3.5 level guys really enjoyed these drills. We also did a second serve and volley drill with a partner at net. We only had 3 of us so we assumed the ghost player always hit winners so we tried to stay away from him.

ramseszerg
05-25-2006, 06:16 AM
The Micheal Chang drill is oneof the best to develop your legs, wind, and volleying.

What is this Micheal Chang drill? Thanks.

Wtitanium
05-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Rent a ball machine at the court and just have some heaters come after you. And both of you can benefit from it, just split the ball machine rental ;)

My hitting partner actually has a ball machine... and we are going to hit in about 5 minutes, but he doesn't want to bring it today. Rats.

papa
05-25-2006, 03:44 PM
How about both of you standing at the service line, and keep a volley going back and forth. If you occasionally let the ball bounce, no big deal, but practice controlled volleys to each other and see how long you can keep it going. You could take a step or two in if that helps make it easier, it depends upon how hard and deep you can each volley in a controlled manner.

I like to warm up doing this before hitting on most days, but I actually like to let the ball bounce and just take small controlled hits to each other for a little while before switching to the volley exercise described above.

Actually, a little of both is good - gets one thinking "ball" -- watch for seams & trademark.

papa
05-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Monday we did some volley drills and started about 5 feet off the net and tried to volley 20 in a row under control. Then we backed up another step and hit quick, low vollies for awhile and then moved back to the service court line where we could hit aggressively and could move in behind a good volley but at your own risk. Hitting all these vollies on Monday paid off for my doubles matches Tuesday and last night as I didn't miss very many and the two 3.5 level guys really enjoyed these drills. We also did a second serve and volley drill with a partner at net. We only had 3 of us so we assumed the ghost player always hit winners so we tried to stay away from him.

Yeah, but I'd start a little further back (like at the serviceline) and on each volley close a little - even if its an inch or so because it get you thinking "forward".

Bungalo Bill
05-25-2006, 07:51 PM
What is this Micheal Chang drill? Thanks.

A person has a basket of balls and feeds these balls from near service line inside the service box near or on the middle.

You stand in the 1st volley position in the middle of the court and he feeds you balls that barely clear the net or are beginning its decent as it passes over the net (they aren't hit hard). You are not allowed to touch your racquet against the ground to "pickup" low balls, you must hit all balls cleanly.

The person feeding the balls hits balls to your backhand and forehand side. He works you footwork and your ability to recover for the next ball and always stretches you a bit more on each ball fed as he alternates.

After about 12 balls, he lobs one toward the service line which makes you move back to field it, then pumps you about five more balls for volleys - then break. You are allowed to rest for 45 seconds if really out of shape and it gets shorter if you are in shape.

You do this for 15 minutes. You are to use your legs for the low ones and sort of squat as you move to field your volleys.

wyutani
05-25-2006, 07:59 PM
guys, i practice volleys by playing badminton. it helps you develope your sense of awareness...

Wtitanium
05-26-2006, 03:28 PM
I have been playing badminton lately, but I haven't noticed much improvement in my volleys. I have only been playing since last Sunday though.

Bungalo Bill
05-26-2006, 03:54 PM
guys, i practice volleys by playing badminton. it helps you develope your sense of awareness...

dats a good way to do it mate.

papa
05-26-2006, 04:12 PM
A person has a basket of balls and feeds these balls from near service line inside the service box near or on the middle.

You stand in the 1st volley position in the middle of the court and he feeds you balls that barely clear the net or are beginning its decent as it passes over the net (they aren't hit hard). You are not allowed to touch your racquet against the ground to "pickup" low balls, you must hit all balls cleanly.

The person feeding the balls hits balls to your backhand and forehand side. He works you footwork and your ability to recover for the next ball and always stretches you a bit more on each ball fed as he alternates.

After about 12 balls, he lobs one toward the service line which makes you move back to field it, then pumps you about five more balls for volleys - then break. You are allowed to rest for 45 seconds if really out of shape and it gets shorter if you are in shape.

You do this for 15 minutes. You are to use your legs for the low ones and sort of squat as you move to field your volleys.

Bet you legs know they've had a workout after a few session of this. Even if you hit quick vollies for 45 seconds and then have a couple of minutes before another round you feel it.

Bungalo Bill
05-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Bet you legs know they've had a workout after a few session of this. Even if you hit quick vollies for 45 seconds and then have a couple of minutes before another round you feel it.

If done right, IT IS A KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!

ramseszerg
05-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Sry Im an idiot. So the player bends low for volleying up, and doesnt have to go back to the service line between shots right?

Bungalo Bill
05-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Sry Im an idiot. So the player bends low for volleying up, and doesnt have to go back to the service line between shots right?

No, you are not moving back, you are moving more lateral to defend the feed. You must volley back all balls fed moving laterally and sometimes foward for the ones that go over the net but are landing shorter.

Basically, you are doing a lot of 45 degree, side, and forward lunges. It is a rapid feed drill so you won't be stopping. If you have to field a low ball, you can not use the ground to bounce your racquet to volley the low ball. You must get there in time. Remember there is also a lob thrown up over your head but it still is reachable for a good overhead.