PDA

View Full Version : Federer Advises Murray

BaseLineBash
05-24-2006, 10:35 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/othersports.html?in_article_id=387500&in_page_id=1781

Roger- "I definitely had milestone moments. Beating Sampras at Wimbledon gave me confidence but in the end it hurt me a bit, too, because every time things didn't work out, I said: 'Hey, play like you did against Sampras'. Yeah, right."

Roger-"I had to do the work and then the results came. I think Murray's going in the same direction as I did."

superman1
05-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Good advice. And the guys that think Federer is better than Sampras because he beat him in one match will probably not like to hear that Federer considers it one of his best played matches.

David L
05-25-2006, 04:10 AM
Good advice. And the guys that think Federer is better than Sampras because he beat him in one match will probably not like to hear that Federer considers it one of his best played matches.

Where does he say that?

Gugafan_Redux
05-25-2006, 05:55 AM
Innocent tennis fan: Hey, did you hear Keith Richards fell out of a cocoanut tree in Fiji?

Rabid Sampras Fanatic: Yeah, well, there's no way Federer is better than Sampras. No way!

Innocent tennis fan: What? I didn't say --

Rabid Sampras Fanatic: Cuz Federer himself doesn't believe it! So it can't be!

Innocent tennis fan: Okay, if you say so.

Rabis Sampras Fanatic: Anybody else around here talking about stuff?

Innocent poster: Andy Murray --

Rabid Sampras Fanatic: Sampras Rulez! Sampras Rulez!

jhhachamp
05-25-2006, 06:37 AM
Where does he say that?

He was quoted as saying that he would say to himself "just play like you did against sampras" when he was playing bad. This implies that he feels like he played very well in that match if he would want to play like that again, you see?

Grimjack
05-25-2006, 06:52 AM
He was quoted as saying that he would say to himself "just play like you did against sampras" when he was playing bad. This implies that he feels like he played very well in that match if he would want to play like that again, you see?

You're mixing your tenses. "He would say to himself" is past tense. Talks about his developmental years -- an era by the way when NOBODY thought he was legitimately a better player than Sampras...yet.

"This implies that he feels," is present tense. States that he obviously still feels this way and that he intends his comments to be in any way relevant to the 2006 state of affairs.

Context, people. Context. He's explaining to a promising but developing player a helpful mindset he cultivated when he was a promising but developing player himself. Nothing more.

splink779
05-25-2006, 07:45 AM
Innocent tennis fan: Hey, did you hear Keith Richards fell out of a cocoanut tree in Fiji?

Rabid Sampras Fanatic: Yeah, well, there's no way Federer is better than Sampras. No way!

Hilarious!

AAAA
05-25-2006, 08:02 AM

echo that!

David L
05-25-2006, 08:13 AM

Grimjack explains what I was, somewhat facetiously, alluding to.

You're mixing your tenses. "He would say to himself" is past tense. Talks about his developmental years -- an era by the way when NOBODY thought he was legitimately a better player than Sampras...yet.

"This implies that he feels," is present tense. States that he obviously still feels this way and that he intends his comments to be in any way relevant to the 2006 state of affairs.

Context, people. Context. He's explaining to a promising but developing player a helpful mindset he cultivated when he was a promising but developing player himself. Nothing more.

Federer obviously played well against Sampras, but he was only a shadow of the player in 2001 that he is now. In the context of those formative years, that was one of his better performances in the 2001 and 2002 seasons. 5 years and 7 Grand Slams later, the Federer of today would beat that Federer comfortably in straight sets. Over the years, I have seen countless performances by him that eclipse anything he did in that match. Just take the 2003 Wimbledon semi against Roddick and the 2004 US Open final against Hewitt as two examples. Federer was talking about his mindset back in 2001-2002, not now.