PDA

View Full Version : How far can I get?

blablabla
05-25-2006, 01:23 AM
Ok, well here's a little background on my tennis abilities: I started playing when i was 8, and I played for about 2 years until i was 10. People told me I have a lot of natural talent, but I stopped playing the game (maybe played 2x/year) until I was 13. I started back up, and was surprised to find my game hadn't gone downhill too much. I lacked consistency, but my shots were there. I fooled around with tennis for the next 2 years, not taking it very seriously..Didn't go out for the team freshman year because I had other priorities at the time. Made varsity sophomore year, and played dubs the whole year, getting a decent record. I was about high 4.0-4.5 during this time(self rated but not over rated as most people would do-im honest to my abilities)

Actually, I started taking tennis seriously and spent a lot of time training after that season was over. That summer, i traveled a lot and did not play as much. I resumed in the winter, and this year shared the #1 singles spot with a frined of mine. My record was somewhere in the .500 range (SoCal south coast league), but I lost a lot of matches due to focus/concentration problems that I should have won. I feel like I'm a lot stronger mentally now. Right now, I'm about in th 5.5 ranking, maybe mid 5.0 when playing badly, and when i'm on, i can stay with 6.0 players quite well. I have a strong serve (never got it clocked, but people say 120+), strong, fairly consistent groundstrokes, and decent volleys. My only problem is beating myself. My question to you is: If i can get it together mentally, and be willing to stay in a rally and play percentage tennis, while improving my consistency, is it possible I can play D1 tennis, maybe even futures if I improve enough? I improved from mid 4.0-about 5.5 in a year, so I believe I can do it.

I'm just looking for some realistic opinions of what I can do. I am willing to put in 4+ hours of training a day this summer on the ball machine, hititng, etc..How good do you have to be to get looked at by schools?

35ft6
05-25-2006, 05:09 AM
Depends what school you're talking about. Stanford? No way.

What's your ranking? If you can occasionally hang with 6.0 players than your ranking must be decent.

kevhen
05-25-2006, 06:56 AM
4.0 to 5.5 in a year? That is a huge jump. D1 players are 5.5. What is the rating of the higher rated player you have beaten?

blablabla
05-25-2006, 01:08 PM
4.0 to 5.5 in a year? That is a huge jump. D1 players are 5.5. What is the rating of the higher rated player you have beaten?

Well i'm gonna start playing a lot more tournaments this summer, as I didn't have the chance to do so really during the season. I'd say I hover in the top 100-200 maybe..i haven't really played against the higher ranked juniors much, but I will this summer. D1 players are 6.0-6.5 actually. The guy who I practice with a lot, who is right around 6.0, if i focus the entire set, can hang with him 6-3, maybe 6-4 if I play well...But it really depends, my rating can be anywhere as good as 6.0 on a given day, 0r 5.0 if I play crappy. That's the discrepancy i need to fix before I can compete at these higher levels..

serveitup911
05-25-2006, 01:13 PM
You need to start playing a lot of tournaments to have colleges be interested in you. Can you tell us the results of any tournament you played in and what kind of rankings the people you played had?

serveitup911
05-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Blabla, I don't see how you can give yourself a rating. Juniors can't play in NTRP tournaments, and tournament results are the only accurate way to figure out a rating. Practice sets are not an accurate gauge.

Do you have any kind of junior ranking?

blablabla
05-25-2006, 01:23 PM
like I said, the only tournamnet I had a chance to play in was one out in Palm Springs, and here's the result for it:

http://tournaments.usta.com/Tournaments/Rankings/PlayerRecords.aspx?id=217748&p=820

My friend who I play with on the team actually beat the guy i lost to mainly because i couldnt play in the 50 mph gusts of wind and moonball crap he was playing..but whatever..next one i might play is next weekend and i'm gonna play a few in june as well..

btw, im only rating myself based on what the 6.0 guy i play with says he plays like, and based on what the ntrp site says..so maybe it is inaccurate..Im not sure

GRANITECHIEF
05-25-2006, 01:35 PM
So what DI college did your 6.0 friend play on? Or is he older and used to play Futures/Satellites/Challengers? If he truly is a 6.0, most likely he would have done one or the other or both.

serveitup911
05-25-2006, 01:43 PM
EDIT: Oops, never mind what I said here. I thought that list was for national rank, but it was for Southern Cal rank.

OK, do not take this the wrong way, but you are definitely not above 4.5 rating.

You will have to improve a huge amount to play DI tennis, but I'm not saying that it isn't possible.

kevhen
05-25-2006, 01:58 PM
You have to be a D1 player ranked in the top 75 in the nation to be rated 6.0. Not many people in the US have 6.0 ratings.

blablabla
05-25-2006, 03:28 PM
You have to be a D1 player ranked in the top 75 in the nation to be rated 6.0. Not many people in the US have 6.0 ratings.

Oh well im sorry then i screwed up..The way the ntrp system words it, it seems like 5.5 is where i'm at..but guess not..well in that case the guy is about 5.0-5.5 rating..im about 4.5..but I want to work hard to get to about 5.5 by the end of next summer if I can..

The way the NTRP ranking is worded makes it seem too easy for that ranking..I was actually skeptical myself..but now I got it cleared up..

Pomeranian
05-25-2006, 05:29 PM
We don't know anything about how your game looks like or exactly how much you are improving. The best determiner of how far you can get is yourself. Improve as much as you can but don't be disappointed if your goal is not met, just enjoy the ride.

c_zimma
05-25-2006, 07:05 PM
Yeah, if you improved that rapidly, probably expect to slow down. Once you get to a 4.5-5.0, improvement starts to drag. If you shared your #1 spot, you really need to work to get where you want to be.

insideoutAce
05-25-2006, 08:38 PM
im a 4.5 s/v

i plan on walking onto the ucsd tennis tryouts
d3 team.. 18th in the nation, i believe

any thoughts?