PDA

View Full Version : Paradox of SW forehand for me

jb193
05-25-2006, 06:53 AM
I often find myself in this situation. While using the semi-western forehand, I can usually hit it hard and with nice topspin. Against, lesser opponents, namely those that have weaker forehands, I find myself hitting a sitter just a tad bit inside the baseline following an advantageous baseline exchange. Not necessarily a "short ball" but one where theoretically, I have the upper hand. This is when I have difficulty. I can usually direct the ball with "marginal" to "OK" accuracy and I can definitely hit it hard. However, because I hit it with pace, and a little natural topspin, it allows the returner to just stick their racquet out and get up under it allowing them to hit the most beautiful of lobs back at me or returning it with pace that I have generated. This is very frustrating to me. I feel as if I am doing all the work, putting pressure on myself to place this hard hit shot, and all they do is stick a racquet out. Alright, I know the answer is to simply get better with control and power, but, in the meantime, since I am just a mere mortal at tennis, what should be my mindset here be? Treat the medium ball as not an offensive shot and accept the fact this particular shot for someone like me is almost disadvantageous? I am just curious to hear other's thoughts on this.........

habib
05-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Scream, "DON'T YOU DARE JUST STICK YOUR RACQUET OUT," each time you hit a nice forehand.

unsung
05-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Scream, "DON'T YOU DARE JUST STICK YOUR RACQUET OUT," each time you hit a nice forehand.

hilarious :lol: :lol:

Ripper
05-25-2006, 11:06 AM
I often find myself in this situation. While using the semi-western forehand, I can usually hit it hard and with nice topspin. Against, lesser opponents, namely those that have weaker forehands, I find myself hitting a sitter just a tad bit inside the baseline following an advantageous baseline exchange. Not necessarily a "short ball" but one where theoretically, I have the upper hand. This is when I have difficulty. I can usually direct the ball with "marginal" to "OK" accuracy and I can definitely hit it hard. However, because I hit it with pace, and a little natural topspin, it allows the returner to just stick their racquet out and get up under it allowing them to hit the most beautiful of lobs back at me or returning it with pace that I have generated. This is very frustrating to me. I feel as if I am doing all the work, putting pressure on myself to place this hard hit shot, and all they do is stick a racquet out. Alright, I know the answer is to simply get better with control and power, but, in the meantime, since I am just a mere mortal at tennis, what should be my mindset here be? Treat the medium ball as not an offensive shot and accept the fact this particular shot for someone like me is almost disadvantageous? I am just curious to hear other's thoughts on this.........

I'd say, when playing people without much pace, reserve you're hardest hitting for when you're sure it's going to be a clean winner or, at least, a hit that'll, surely, produce an enforced error.

jb193
05-25-2006, 12:16 PM
I'd say, when playing people without much pace, reserve you're hardest hitting for when you're sure it's going to be a clean winner or, at least, a hit that'll, surely, produce an enforced error.

Thanks, that sounds like a good approach...........

jb193
05-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Posted by Habib

Well, you can make jokes about this all you want, but this problem is becoming a bit serious. When people just start sticking their racquets out whenever they they want, you will quit laughing, I assure you.......

looseswing
05-25-2006, 04:14 PM
I would say if it is that easy for them to stick their racquets out you are not putting to the sides well enough.

habib
05-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Posted by Habib

Well, you can make jokes about this all you want, but this problem is becoming a bit serious. When people just start sticking their racquets out whenever they they want, you will quit laughing, I assure you.......
Heh, well, first of all, if they are returning your hard shots with lobs, start hitting the ball deep but without the pace, maybe even loop it in. If they are returning it to you with pace, rest assured they aren't simply "sticking their racquets out," and you're going to have to either take their time away or start giving them less pace to work with until you get a clear opening, as suggested already.

Pomeranian
05-25-2006, 05:22 PM
There's a lot of things you can do against someone who just sticks their racquet out. Do they do this all the time or only when you hit hard shots? Inability to generate pace is easy to expose. You can give them no pace to work with, slice to them, hit softer. You have two goals, and they are the only ways to win points in tennis for the most part. You can be more consistant than them, how you choose to do so, meaning wait for errors. Or you can take advantage and force errors and hit winners. The latter is harder to execute.

If you do choose to go for the more agressive choice, taking the net is a good idea. A simple plan you can do is to hit an agressive shot like you were doing before to their weaker side, then finish the weak reply. Find a way to finish points, at least finish more points than you lose.

For the the counterpuncher tactic, you can take a lot of pace off your swing. Just keep it deep, maybe you'll even get them to hit more agressively and make errors. The goal is to be more consistant and wait for them to make errors. Be patient.

Roddick The Beast
05-25-2006, 06:24 PM
Posted by Habib

Well, you can make jokes about this all you want, but this problem is becoming a bit serious. When people just start sticking their racquets out whenever they they want, you will quit laughing, I assure you.......you CAN always "quit". :mrgreen: