PDA

View Full Version : counterpunchers, height and head size

mr_spaz104
05-25-2006, 09:50 AM
if you are a counterpuncher and are roughly 5'7, would a 90 head size be appropriate or would a 98 be a better head size?

most of the balls that i hit land closer to the service line than the baseline. ppl say that this is good for a counterpuncher, because you want to play it safe but would a bigger head have any effect on the depth of the ball? (i just want to clarify things)

also, do any other counterpunchers on the boards like to give any tips? anything will help.

i'm the only counterpuncher on the team. everyone else is a baseline-hugging aggressive baseliner and they say that a counterpuncher isn't a great playing style if you want to win games, despite the fact that i cause them to self-destruct because they try to blast winners but i return it.

thanks in advanced

Jonny S&V
05-25-2006, 09:55 AM
I'd go 98 but I'm a S&V (see name). You will want to hit your shots deeper unless you have terrific passing shots or the players in your area hate the net.

Ash Doyle
05-25-2006, 10:05 AM
I don't care what style you play, groundstrokes that land closer to the baseline will be more advantageous to you.

mr_spaz104
05-25-2006, 10:12 AM
heh. i guess i should've phrased that better. most of my shots land in b/w the baseline and the service line. they don't hit the service line or are completely close to it. they're still deep, but if you half the distance b/w the baseline and the service line, they land closer to the half near the service line.

thanks for the advice - keep it deeper, aim for the half closer to the baseline

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-25-2006, 10:59 AM
if you are a counterpuncher and are roughly 5'7, would a 90 head size be appropriate or would a 98 be a better head size?

most of the balls that i hit land closer to the service line than the baseline. ppl say that this is good for a counterpuncher, because you want to play it safe but would a bigger head have any effect on the depth of the ball? (i just want to clarify things)

also, do any other counterpunchers on the boards like to give any tips? anything will help.

i'm the only counterpuncher on the team. everyone else is a baseline-hugging aggressive baseliner and they say that a counterpuncher isn't a great playing style if you want to win games, despite the fact that i cause them to self-destruct because they try to blast winners but i return it.

thanks in advancedI'd say keep using the racquet if you're comfortable with it. That shouldn't keep you from trying out other ones though.

I'm just saying that you should't just choose a raquet based on what head size counter punchers use on average. For instance, Hewitt is a counter-puncher who uses a 90 si head. It seems to work for him. I would consider him a top player (even if Fed owns him :) ).

Doesn't hurt to try out new things. You'll never know for sure unless you do so.

mr_spaz104
05-25-2006, 12:22 PM
k. thanks. i'll go demo a few other racquets and see how it goes.

now that's out of the way, do any other counterpunchers on the board have any tips on tactics or general "attack" plan i should do?

the only thing i do is hit to the open court and make them run after the ball and mix up the ball heights and make them either bend or reach up and then wear them down and (try to) pass them when they come to the net.

any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again