PDA

View Full Version : Nice Steffi Graf article

Warriorroger
05-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Reading it, I miss the days when she danced over the court and unleashed those laser forehands. No one has jumped around the court like she did, yep I miss her game, courage, grace and presence.

http://www.geocities.com/steffiarticles/98-27.htm

Michael Haller
05-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Reading it, I miss the days when she danced over the court and unleashed those laser forehands. No one has jumped around the court like she did, yep I miss her game, courage, grace and presence.

http://www.geocities.com/steffiarticles/98-27.htm

An annoying article.
In 1997 Becker wasn't the German tennis icon anymore. Graf ALWAYS has been more popular in Germany since 1987.
And next time I read the cliché about Graf never having wept on-court before I puke. Has this idiot of sportswriter never watched the victory ceremonies at Leipzig 1990, Berlin 1991, Wimbledon 1991, FO 1992, FO 1995, Berlin 1996, FO 1996?
And BTW, Graf was #1 for 377 weeks, not 374.

Warriorroger
05-25-2006, 02:15 PM
An annoying article.
In 1997 Becker wasn't the German tennis icon anymore. Graf ALWAYS has been more popular in Germany since 1987.
And next time I read the cliché about Graf never having wept on-court before I puke. Has this idiot of sportswriter never watched the victory ceremonies at Leipzig 1990, Berlin 1991, Wimbledon 1991, FO 1992, FO 1995, Berlin 1996, FO 1996?
And BTW, Graf was #1 for 377 weeks, not 374.

Please Michael Haller go to sleep and never wake up again, everyone on this board detest you.

Michael Haller
05-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Please Michael Haller go to sleep and never wake up again, everyone on this board detest you.

What was wrong with my post?
I know that you are usually a little bit weak with facts - but come on!

Arafel
05-25-2006, 03:00 PM
From the article:
"Fans are kind of fickle," said Davenport, who was ahead 4-2 in thethird set when Graf hurt her left hamstring and withdrew. "When Steffi's dominating and dominating, they always want someone new to come up. When she gets out of the game, they want her to come back and start winning again."

Part of it was that and part of it was larger. A tennis crowd's commentary on the human condition. To see a champion show signs of age inevitably makes us feel our own mortality. "It's different now," says Amanda Coetzer, the pint-sized Top 10 star. "Back when it was hard to even take a game off her, the crowd really felt for the player on the other side of the net. They'd root for anyone who might give her a tough match, even keep her on thecourt for more than an hour. That's how dominant she was."

Steffi Graf has alreadly lived through this once, from the other side. She watched it happen Martina Navratilova, who was the sport's designaged villain during much of her marvelous career."

That's very true. Before Martina took over, it was Evert, who people referred to as the Ice Maiden because she never showed emotion, simply went on court and clobbered everyone. People don't like it when sports are so one-sided. I can remember rooting for anyone who played Martina from 83-85, when it seemed she'd never lose.

Also, look at Connors' arc, from the brash young punk who was walking all over tradition at the age of 22 to the beloved brash warrior at age 39 at the 1991 U.S. Open.

On another note, does Michael Haller EVER write about anything besides Graf? I mean, I like Graf and all, but there's lots of other players, nay, sports even, that I like too.

Michael Haller
05-25-2006, 03:12 PM
From the article:
"Fans are kind of fickle," said Davenport, who was ahead 4-2 in thethird set when Graf hurt her left hamstring and withdrew. "When Steffi's dominating and dominating, they always want someone new to come up. When she gets out of the game, they want her to come back and start winning again."

Part of it was that and part of it was larger. A tennis crowd's commentary on the human condition. To see a champion show signs of age inevitably makes us feel our own mortality. "It's different now," says Amanda Coetzer, the pint-sized Top 10 star. "Back when it was hard to even take a game off her, the crowd really felt for the player on the other side of the net. They'd root for anyone who might give her a tough match, even keep her on thecourt for more than an hour. That's how dominant she was."

Steffi Graf has alreadly lived through this once, from the other side. She watched it happen Martina Navratilova, who was the sport's designaged villain during much of her marvelous career."

That's very true. Before Martina took over, it was Evert, who people referred to as the Ice Maiden because she never showed emotion, simply went on court and clobbered everyone. People don't like it when sports are so one-sided. I can remember rooting for anyone who played Martina from 83-85, when it seemed she'd never lose.

Also, look at Connors' arc, from the brash young punk who was walking all over tradition at the age of 22 to the beloved brash warrior at age 39 at the 1991 U.S. Open.

On another note, does Michael Haller EVER write about anything besides Graf? I mean, I like Graf and all, but there's lots of other players, nay, sports even, that I like too.

I wrote something in defense of Venus yesterday.
OK, I write a little bit more about Graf in U.S.-based forum because there she is dissed all the time by a certain faction (to promote U.S. stars like Evert, Navratilova, Seles, Williamses, Davenport).

ATPballkid
10-29-2006, 09:39 AM
What's this obsession with Steffi Graf? Warrioroger AKA Michael Haller AKA Condolezza AKA Gunther?