PDA

View Full Version : Kournakova without modeling ..

woody6.1
05-25-2006, 02:02 PM
If kournakova never modeled and stuck with tennis, how high up in rankings couild she have gotten with the talent she had, dedication, and good coaching ?

orangeblood
05-25-2006, 02:21 PM
She got as high as #8 in the rankings, didn't she?

katarddx
05-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Kournikova, man Kournikova....

woody6.1
05-25-2006, 03:22 PM
She got as high as #8 in the rankings, didn't she?

yeah . but do you think she could of made it to #1 ? .. i dont think she could.. being that sharapova would beat her pretty good.. whereas if they mudwrestled ..... ..

pound cat
05-25-2006, 03:30 PM
yeah . but do you think she could of made it to #1 ? .. i dont think she could.. being that sharapova would beat her pretty good.. whereas if they mudwrestled ..... ..

Now, how could anyone possible know that?

Mudwrestling? oh, come on.....

Chadwixx
05-25-2006, 04:09 PM
If it wasnt for her chronic back injury she would still be playing. One of the reasons her serve was so poor and had to retire early.

gully
05-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Word was that she did work fairly hard at her game. Number eight might have been the limit, maybe top five with some luck. She had good (not great) ground game, firm volleys, some touch, quickness, speed, reflexes, and instinct. But she was not a great decision maker on court and did not have a clear gameplan suited to her style. Lacking both the patience and the power for the evolving baseline game, she was neither able to hang with the big hitters consistently nor rout the lower tier of players routinely. And she never developed any single real weapon to rely on.

Number eight, however, is pretty damn good in my book.

sandiegotennisboy
05-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Word was that she did work fairly hard at her game. Number eight might have been the limit, maybe top five with some luck. She had good (not great) ground game, firm volleys, some touch, quickness, speed, reflexes, and instinct. But she was not a great decision maker on court and did not have a clear gameplan suited to her style. Lacking both the patience and the power for the evolving baseline game, she was neither able to hang with the big hitters consistently nor rout the lower tier of players routinely. And she never developed any single real weapon to rely on.

Number eight, however, is pretty damn good in my book.

her forehand was a weapon but it just wasnt consisted cause she hit flat at odd times in a point and missed. i think her success mostly came from being a versatile player....being able to play baseline and net and have some variety of shots. her touch was good.

if she had a better coach instead of the wta POS factory that is bollietiery academy, she couldve done better. she had a good game and she was athletic and smart....she just couldnt maintain that level due to injuries or being a head case.

her and hingis were an awesome doubles team. they made some players look like fools when they played together. this girl had talent. i think this is actually a good time for a comeback. she can be top 20.

35ft6
05-26-2006, 07:13 AM
She could have cracked the top 3 or 4 I think. The problem is she really didn't have a weapon. For her to beat top players her whole game had to be clicking. She had to be moving very well (she was a great athlete), mixing up her serves, and playing aggressively effectively from all parts of the court.

IMO she had some serious technical flaws. Her forehand grip was/is between an eastern and continental, like above poster said, very flat. When she was on, it could cause problems, especially on a skiddy surface like grass, but she had very very little margin for error. And, of course, her serve was very suspect. Like worse than Dementieva's. Anna's double faults could come by the dozens.

But she was quite talented. Great hands, great movement, and great instincts. Just no money shot that could carry the rest of her game on its back when everything wasn't working right, and, of course, too many distractions.

She could have really made some noise right before the Williams sisters started coming on strong, before the Big Babe Brigade started rolling 7 or 8 players deep. Who knows? Maybe without all the distractions she could have been number 1 for a few weeks.

stalliondan
05-26-2006, 08:34 AM
don't think it would have changed much in terms of tennis. I just think we wouldn't be hearing of her as much. But honestly how how is she! I mean, I would give my left tennis ball to be with her!