PDA

View Full Version : Who is most Goran styled?

Net Rusher
05-25-2006, 05:45 PM
1.93M, Croat, Left Handed, Two Handed backhand, Big Server, Aces, Crouching Serving Motion, Half S&Ver, Half Baseliner, Funny, Split Personality, Throwing Racket, World No.2, One Grand Slam, 3 Losses in Wimbledon Finals, Head Prestige and Radical, Beautiful Wife...

Safin?
Ancic?
Ljubicic?
Karlovic?
Roddick?

snoflewis
05-25-2006, 05:55 PM
my pick has to be safin

LowProfile
05-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Mario Ancic definitely. Minus the results since Ancic is still young and hasn't had the time to achieve them. Powerful serve and well-rounded serve and volley and baseline games. Two-handed backhand. Tempermental. Choker. Tall Croat.

wyutani
05-25-2006, 07:51 PM
can i say nadal? he's a lefty no?

Andres
05-25-2006, 07:54 PM
No one. Goran was unique :D
Gosh, I miss him so bad :cry:

wyutani
05-25-2006, 07:55 PM
No one. Goran was unique :D

i miss rafter and sampras more`

Andres
05-25-2006, 07:56 PM
i miss rafter and sampras more`
Go and cry to a church.

wyutani
05-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Go and cry to a church.

:confused: huh? they're not dead you know...

chiru
05-25-2006, 08:52 PM
i miss goran too. he had to be the best personality. and he was never an *** about it, always a pretty good sport from what i remember. his anger was alwasy at himself, never about like calls and stuff (unless it was clearly out or in or however u like).

sandiegotennisboy
05-25-2006, 08:57 PM
why would anyone wanna play like him. he was mediocre. that wimby was a fluke.

Andres
05-25-2006, 09:01 PM
He did made it to other 3 Wimby finals, so it was not a fluke... and he lost them to the greatest grasscourter, Pete Sampras, twice, on two tight matches, and another to Agassi, ANOTHER extremely tight match...

A fluke? He came out of nowhere, beating Safin, Roddick, Rusedski, Henman and Rafter on his way, serving 30 aces per match... to me, that's not a fluke ;)

Anyway, he was mediocre? You couldn't score a SINGLE POINT off him on his service games... and perhaps, a couple on his return games.

(I know I couldn't)

sandiegotennisboy
05-25-2006, 09:07 PM
He did made it to other 3 Wimby finals, so it was not a fluke... and he lost them to the greatest grasscourter, Pete Sampras, twice, on two tight matches, and another to Agassi, ANOTHER extremely tight match...

A fluke? He came out of nowhere, beating Safin, Roddick, Rusedski, Henman and Rafter on his way, serving 30 aces per match... to me, that's not a fluke ;)

Anyway, he was mediocre? You couldn't score a SINGLE POINT off him on his service games... and perhaps, a couple on his return games.

(I know I couldn't)

and he was a headcase. so i guess a lot of pros nowadays play like him...not just the above mentioned. goran's game lives on tour! you win...

Andres
05-25-2006, 09:11 PM
and he was a headcase. so i guess a lot of pros nowadays play like him...not just the above mentioned. goran's game lives on tour! you win...
He was a headcase indeed. I'm not denying or arguing that. He was a mental case, a total nut.

But incredibly talented, and its his own way, a genius ;)

sandiegotennisboy
05-25-2006, 09:13 PM
He was a headcase indeed. I'm not denying or arguing that. He was a mental case, a total nut.

But incredibly talented, and its his own way, a genius ;)

dang. dont stab me in the shoulder with a rusty knife and have me in retirement for 3 years....

croatian sensation
05-26-2006, 04:39 AM
Mario Ancic definitely. Minus the results since Ancic is still young and hasn't had the time to achieve them. Powerful serve and well-rounded serve and volley and baseline games. Two-handed backhand. Tempermental. Choker. Tall Croat.

And they're actually from the same neighbourhood if I'm not mistaken ;)

Andres
05-26-2006, 04:42 AM
And they're actually from the same neighbourhood if I'm not mistaken ;)
Really? How neeeat! :mrgreen:
But it was sort of expected. Goran has been training with Mario for quite a few years, so it's pretty clear why Mario got plenty of Goran's mannerisms ;)

35ft6
05-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Goran was much more explosive off the forehand than Mario. I see some similarity between the two, but not that much. Goran was way streakier. It's not like Mario was inconsistent, but Goran was capable of playing extremely deadly tennis, maybe the deadliest on tour, and really terrible tennis. The distance his game could swing was much further than Mario's, so in that respect Marat is probably the most similar. I'd say Safin.

And maybe that fat fellow, Labadze.

Marat Safinator
07-03-2006, 08:52 AM
How can you say Goran was a nutcase? He was nothing of the kind, in my opinion the greatest server of all time.

dubsplayer
07-03-2006, 08:57 AM
I liked that he was a headcase, until he beat Pat. :(

Mario plays like Goran more then the others, imo.

vive le beau jeu !
07-03-2006, 12:21 PM
i miss him too... :neutral:
fortunately i had the chance to see him play in reality once ! :D

Andres
07-03-2006, 12:29 PM
i miss him too... :neutral:
fortunately i had the chance to see him play in reality once ! :D
He came here in 2002, to play Davis Cup, and that very same tie, I couldn't go!!!
And I never forgave myself after that :cry:

vive le beau jeu !
07-03-2006, 12:59 PM
He came here in 2002, to play Davis Cup, and that very same tie, I couldn't go!!!
And I never forgave myself after that
arg... if my memory is right, you missed a comeback from 2 sets to love in double, right ?
but now you still have a last chance to see him : on the senior tour ! ;)

the match i saw was a 1st round at toulouse in 1999... unfortunately he lost 64 57 76 to rosset after having match point :-| but at least i could really enjoy his game during 3 sets !!!
(and break my voice... :rolleyes: )

RiosTheGenius
07-03-2006, 01:08 PM
I'd say Ljubicic... but the thing is that all those players previously mentioned mimic Goran's serve, but after that, their games have their own flair.
another player to observe is Alex Bogdanovic, he also does the whole Goran thing with the foot and all, and he's also left handed.