If any of you havent seen it, here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMqrkGIL00I&search=tennis

Tezuka Kunimitsu
05-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Good Hussle, Good Play, Good determination... I like that roddick

~Joe

snoflewis
05-25-2006, 06:32 PM
not bad lol...i like that 45 shot rally between hewitt and federer a little more

armand
05-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Wow! That visor looks so incredibly dorky! If anything, Roddick should be thankful that Brad Gilbert made him get rid of it.

Anyhow, though it was more due to Chela's poor volleying, it was a good point anyway.

splink779
05-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Does anyone have footage of Roddick doing a full out dive at the baseline? I think I've seen a split second of the footage but I did hear commentators mention it. I thought it was in this match. Does anyone know what im talking about?

So was this point famous due to the hustle, or the fact that Roddick hit a backhand pass?

ty slothrop
05-25-2006, 07:25 PM
dammit splink, you beat me to it. my response was going to be "he hasn't hit a backhand pass since then, has he?"

Andres
05-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Nice point ;)
I don't know if it's "amazing" as the title of the vid says, but very nice indeed :D

tonysk83
05-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Roddick should go back to reebok, it looks so much cooler.

quest01
05-25-2006, 08:04 PM
I like the emotion Roddick showed after winning the point. Seeing that was the USO 2002, does anyone have video footage of the Sampras vs. Agassi final?

sandiegotennisboy
05-25-2006, 08:25 PM
poor roddick. i dunno whats happening with his game. but the more i witness his demise, the more i realize that its not his game, its his competition...everyone got better and adapted.

i used to call him out for playing from way behind the baseline and not punishing the ball inside the court and i used to call him out for not being able to volley.....but the more i think about it, he has always played like that.

well anyway, i hope he comes up with something new

FEDEXP
05-25-2006, 08:33 PM
It's not just the competition; it is also the fact that he does not adjust his game during a match. I just don't see the smarts on court that I'd like to see.

superman1
05-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Wow, he's a lot fitter and faster today. He also hits harder.

So it's got to be mental. He fought like Nadal in that point.

RiosTheGenius
05-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Very nice point indeed.. Chela never put it away. Federer or Henman would have ended that point much earlier, but let's not take credit away from Roddick, he played great defense.
the only problem I see is that Nadal does that about 10 times every match, so standards are a bit higher nowadays for Mr. roddick.... great point, those night matches at the US open are amazing. .... my favorite is the Grandstand court.. great night matches there

chiru
05-25-2006, 09:04 PM
It's definately mental. I'd love to see Roddick get that pumped again about a point. Back then he had the mental edge of being "the next great thing," not "the guy roger alwasy beats" or "way behind sampras".

J-man
05-26-2006, 03:39 AM
If any of you havent seen it, here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMqrkGIL00I&search=tennis
Reminds me of how my coach moves me around

eagle
05-26-2006, 05:32 AM
Good point indeed. It's amazing he can play the way he does being so far back behind the baseline.

r,
eagle

Gugafan_Redux
05-26-2006, 05:56 AM
I remember that point. It does kind of pale in comparison now, because Nadal puts that kind of hustle and determination into most every point. But it was a thriller at the time. Night match, US Open. Gotta love it.

Anyone else think he was better off a little wiry and wristy like he was back then? Or is it a fallacy to equate the results he was getting then with his physicality? He's bulkier now and I'm thinking maybe not as fast or flexible?

North
05-26-2006, 06:11 AM
Anyone else think he was better off a little wiry and wristy like he was back then? Or is it a fallacy to equate the results he was getting then with his physicality? He's bulkier now and I'm thinking maybe not as fast or flexible?

Yeah, I noticed that and agree it looks like he hustled around the court better back then. He looks a little heavier/flatter on his feet now. A lot of the difference is probably mental as others have pointed out, but losing that quicker, more flexible movement doesn't help physically or mentally. Great point to watch!

AAUS
05-26-2006, 07:33 AM
I dont know if anyone has mentioned this before either but now roddick has more of a platform stance with a small step with his front foot at the beginning of the motion. I just a vid of his serve back in 2002 and he serves with a pinpoint, he throws the ball up and doesnt make a small step with his front but a large step with his back leg bringing it right next to his front foot.

Manda_D
05-26-2006, 08:35 AM
man, i miss that roddick.

his problem is that hes playing now just like he was back in the good old days of 2003... its just that now hes lost that intimidation factor and players no how to beat him. hes not changing his game around enough.

butttt.. i still love him. he'll be back.

lucky leprechaun
05-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Back then he had the mental edge of being "the next great thing,"

That and people being flustered being aced out a whole game on a regular basis. Now the shine as worn off of that, people don't get flustered, they expect it, and patiently wait to jump on second serves which apparently has been enough to derail the talentless-other-than-a-first serve roddick even when he serves 70 percent. If there is a "mental" thing, it has nothing to do with roddick, it's everything else around him. He no longer has a whole stadium gawking his every conceited "im the best there is" mannerisms on court coupled with everyone not being flustered by aces, and you have what you have today.

BabolatFan
05-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Roddick then was absolutely better. Much more motivated and confident.

monologuist
05-26-2006, 02:11 PM
agreed that he has bulked up and seems less flexible and slower now...supposedly he tried to lose some weight in the beginning of the year, but I don't see it now.

I disagree that he hits the exact same way now as he did then. I think he hits with more topspin now and stands even farther back. It's as if someone told/coached him specifically to play a safer brand of baseline tennis. His shots land shallower now than ever even though it looks like he is putting more energy into his shots.

Cfidave
05-26-2006, 02:47 PM
agreed that he has bulked up and seems less flexible and slower now...supposedly he tried to lose some weight in the beginning of the year, but I don't see it now.

I disagree that he hits the exact same way now as he did then. I think he hits with more topspin now and stands even farther back. It's as if someone told/coached him specifically to play a safer brand of baseline tennis. His shots land shallower now than ever even though it looks like he is putting more energy into his shots.

I agree, he hits with more top, his shots land much shorter in the court then they used to. Many of the lower ranked players, he has lost to, have taken the offensive on Roddicks shorter balls. Marcos had a field day with those short high bouncers at the Aussie Open.

arosen
05-26-2006, 03:45 PM
User Shaolin compiled CDs filled with points like this one and better.He burns them for anyone interested. Rios played some crazy-asss points in his time, kind of points that make Roddick look like an amature.

Mr.Federer
05-26-2006, 04:35 PM
great point!