PDA

View Full Version : How far down on the handle do you grip your racquet?

easternforehand
05-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Should the butt cap be off your hand? Or should you make sure that the bottom of your hand is above the bottom of the racquet?

d_frank
05-25-2006, 06:21 PM
depends on your style. personally, my hand hangs off the end by about half an inch, but ive seen some people hold it above there.

Wtitanium
05-25-2006, 06:48 PM
depends on your style. personally, my hand hangs off the end by about half an inch, but ive seen some people hold it above there.

That is how I hold it for badminton, but for tennis, I have my hand as far down as it will go, but still being on the racket.

Kabob190
05-25-2006, 07:49 PM
I use a western grip and i have it so that half of my pinky finger is on the racquet and half of it is off.

TheSnowMan
05-25-2006, 08:07 PM
I hold it at the very edge.

chiru
05-25-2006, 09:29 PM
im ala fed.

JRstriker12
05-26-2006, 12:41 PM
I hold it so that all my fingers are on the racket, but the bottom of my hand is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the bottom.

I try to choke of a bit on balls that land short though.

Andres
05-26-2006, 01:21 PM
I grip it differently on different shots. For serves, the butt cap is in the middle of my palm, so my pinky finger is off the racquet, but touching the bottom of the racquet.
For groundies, I have my 5 fingers on the racquet, and the pinky on the butt cap. To absorbe the impact, sometimes, I grip a little bit higher, but usually, that's how I grab my racquet :D

It's not good or bad, it's just my point of view ;)

Bungalo Bill
05-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Should the butt cap be off your hand? Or should you make sure that the bottom of your hand is above the bottom of the racquet?

People have said it depends and it really does. I used to be firm on how it should be, but now not so much.

I use the classic style but with a modern grip and swing. I place the butt cap portion against the heel of my palm with a looser grip. It really gives me a lot of leverage and control.

When a player goes into Nick's academy they buy into the philosophy and style. Nick does have a say on this believe it or not and a big influence in what his academy does, how it teaches, and who it attracts because of it. ;)

It seems you are a little too light in giving his academy credit in a players development.

rasajadad
05-26-2006, 02:45 PM
In the old days of wooden racquets, I used to hang my pinkie off the racquet )for serves only). Increases wrist snap and racquet head speed. Pancho Gonzalez used to hang two fingers off the end on his serves.

looseswing
05-28-2006, 08:28 AM
I have the same hand position for every shot, pinky off the butcap.

Final_Match_Point
05-28-2006, 09:49 AM
I ahve mine nearly off the buttcap, I think ill change this though. Im usinga 27.5, and if i make the switch