PDA

View Full Version : hard confident forehand strokes

jbdbackfan
05-25-2006, 08:25 PM
I see myself as a 4.0 player, yet one thing through out my tennis game has bothered me. I've always had a big swing for forehand groundstrokes, and try to use topspin, but i lack the confidence to swing hard since I fear the ball going out. Can anyone let me know what they do? Where do you wait for the ball until you hit? At knees? Waist? You use big swings? smaller? Any advice woudl be apperciated greatly.
Joe

chiru
05-25-2006, 10:38 PM
its all about practice i feel like. the more you practice, slowly the harder and harder you can hit with confidence. you probably never want to be hitting as hard as you can all the time, as you may get tired over the course of a 3 setter. Try to diversify your forehands, so you can use something if hard forehadns arent going in on a given day. throughout my time playing tennis, ive had so many different coaches, i know just about every grip at least at some level. for instance, if my normal forehadn (between easter and SW) is flying, and i just can't seem to control it, to throw my opponent off, sometimes i suddenly change to a western grip and swing up over my head (think nadal). i was playing badly just the other day adn made that switch, and it got me several free points, as my opponent just couldn't deal with the extra kick. of course you dont wanna practice other grips and what not too much (as u may loose effectiveness in your main grip and technique). but sometimes diversity can be useful. this western shot for instance, since i never practice it, i had almost no pace, but i could get great depth and tons of spin. likewise every so often, cahnge pace, maybe hit a lob deep in one corner adn then a drop shot in the other corner. just try to use as much variety as possible, it prevents ur opponetns from ever feeling comfortable and ever dictatig play. thats the key to wins. dictate yourself, but if you can't, dont let them dictate either.

travlerajm
05-25-2006, 11:38 PM
What's your racquet setup? It's possible that your equipment is working against you.