PDA

View Full Version : whats the best way to get better in a short amount of time?

andyroddick's mojo
05-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Hey guys, I just wanted to let you guys know I'll be playing tennis almost 6 times a week over summer, to get better, but do you guys think that will really help? I'll only be taking 1 half hour private lesson, and the others will be group lessons. Is there anything else I should do besides just play tennis that could help improve my game? I just want some overall advice on how to get better over a 2-month period, because I want to make top 8 for my high school's team next year.

travlerajm
05-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Hey guys, I just wanted to let you guys know I'll be playing tennis almost 6 times a week over summer, to get better, but do you guys think that will really help? I'll only be taking 1 half hour private lesson, and the others will be group lessons. Is there anything else I should do besides just play tennis that could help improve my game? I just want some overall advice on how to get better over a 2-month period, because I want to make top 8 for my high school's team next year.

My advice is to work on disciplined footwork. Try to develop a sense of urgency to get to the ball early even when it seems like you have lots of time so that you can step into every ball. If you focus on making good footwork a habit, then after awhile you won't have to think about it anymore, and it will give you an edge over your high school rivals.

hammer
05-25-2006, 11:17 PM
You certainly want to take at least a couple of hours each week just focusing on what you learned during your previous lesson and just practicing it. And you don't want to spend all of your time playing matches. You should spend at least half of it doing drills and working on shots or situations you need to improve on.

MoneyBall
05-25-2006, 11:47 PM

Work on one shot and make it your weapon, your bread and butter. 2 months is a realistic time to develop a killer slice approach or a powerful driving forehand. If you master these two shots, you'll be top 3 next season. Just improve on one shot at a time, make sure it becomes second nature.

35ft6
05-26-2006, 12:29 AM
If you're not rich, the best way is to buy a ball basket and a case of balls (1 every three to four weeks should be fine) and have a friend or family member feed you balls 6 days a week for 1 hour. Emphasis on consistency and placement, getting a groove.

Spend another half hour to hour doing nothing but hitting serves.

Then play at least one match a day on top of that.

But this is all predicated on you making sure your technique is constantly being refined, and you're not developing really bad mechanics.

And get into great shape.