PDA

View Full Version : Which grip for volleys?

djones
05-26-2006, 03:37 AM
I'm not exactly a newbie to tennis, but I haven't really volleyed for a couple of years and recently as I mentioned in a thread earlier, I just screw up totally at the net.

Lately I cannot even hit 1 decent volley.
Low balls I hit in the net or I push 'm up too high and they usually land behind the baseline and they don't have no pace.

On higher volleys where I could almost smash 'm down the court, I mostly hit them long too!
I just can't control the ball, I feel helpless out there:-)

But, would you think this has got to do with my grip?
On normal baseline playing I play with a semi-western grip, but I'm not sure if I change my grip at the net.

Should I?

Andres
05-26-2006, 03:40 AM
Yes, you should.
Continental is the most versatile volleying grip ;)
Give it a shot, it's worth it ;)

Ripper
05-26-2006, 05:08 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/search.php?searchid=953687

just out
05-26-2006, 05:28 AM
Yes, you're probably not changing your grip. With a SW it is very difficult (uncomfortable IMO) to get your wrist and racquet face in position to hit low volleys and you often end up having a face that's too open (popping the ball up or hitting long). On the high ones, I've seen many players that use SW or W grips and have big swings tend to swing some on the higher volleys and overhit at times. This happens often when they have just hit a groundstroke and are coming in. They often won't change grips and are sort of in between a groundstroke and a volley on the high volleys. Try taking volley practice with a continental grip, if you're not switching during a match it should feel very awkward hitting volleys continental if you've been hitting them SW. You can get in the habit of making your grip change when you split step on the way in.

Bungalo Bill
05-26-2006, 05:30 AM
I'm not exactly a newbie to tennis, but I haven't really volleyed for a couple of years and recently as I mentioned in a thread earlier, I just screw up totally at the net.

Use the continental grip.

djones
05-26-2006, 06:27 AM
Thanks you all!
I'm going to give it a try tonight!