PDA

View Full Version : Open stance 1HBH footwork?

Othello
05-26-2006, 07:53 AM
Does anyone know how to properly hit the open stance 1HBH where you hit off the left/back foot and land on the right/front foot?

I hit my open stance 1HBH off the left foot and land on the left foot.
This happens especially when I am back tracking for a deep ball and can't backtrack enough to get into closed position. I hit off the left/back foot and land on the same foot.
It also happens when the ball is coming too fast and I can tell I won't be able to get into closed stance on time.

However I notice whenever I watch Mauresmo that whenever she hits her open stance BHs she hits off the back foot and lands on the front.

My open stance BHs are fine and I usually can still get the ball deep however it seems I can make it better if I learn to land on the front foot.

ANyone know how to do it or can point me to some literature/videos on this?

Bungalo Bill
05-26-2006, 08:52 AM
Does anyone know how to properly hit the open stance 1HBH where you hit off the left/back foot and land on the right/front foot?

I hit my open stance 1HBH off the left foot and land on the left foot.
This happens especially when I am back tracking for a deep ball and can't backtrack enough to get into closed position. I hit off the left/back foot and land on the same foot.
It also happens when the ball is coming too fast and I can tell I won't be able to get into closed stance on time.

However I notice whenever I watch Mauresmo that whenever she hits her open stance BHs she hits off the back foot and lands on the front.

My open stance BHs are fine and I usually can still get the ball deep however it seems I can make it better if I learn to land on the front foot.

ANyone know how to do it or can point me to some literature/videos on this?

If you are going to load on the back foot for the open stance onehander, you still need to lengthen your linear interval time in the upper body. In other words, while the lower body is doing something different, the upper body motion needs to stay nearly true to form as if you were hitting it neutral stance. In other words, you still need to control your rotation with the non-dominant arm.

Othello
05-26-2006, 01:25 PM
If you are going to load on the back foot for the open stance onehander, you still need to lengthen your linear interval time in the upper body. In other words, while the lower body is doing something different, the upper body motion needs to stay nearly true to form as if you were hitting it neutral stance. In other words, you still need to control your rotation with the non-dominant arm.

Thanks for the response Bungalo Bill.

Ok so let's say that I'm on the baseline at the center mark.
My opponent hits a fast forehand topspin drive down the line.

I can tell that the ball is going to land very deep and with pace and I won't have enough time to get into closed position so I will have to hit open stance.

I backtrack to the ball.
I load up on the backfoot, my shoulder and upper body is rotated as it would be in a neutral stance.
I push off the backfoot to hit my BH but because I'm backtracking my momentum is still moving backwards so my back foot comes off the ground (front foot is already off the ground) and I land on the back foot.

But when I watch Mauresmo she does the above (loads of the back foot) but lands on her front foot.
My thinking is this somehow negates the backward momentum and simulates the stepping in action of a closed stance BH and/or
it quickens recovery from the stroke by a step

This is just my conjecture. If anyone owns an openstance 1hander I would like to hear from you. I don't want to spend hours learning the wrong footwork :) .

Bungalo Bill
05-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the response Bungalo Bill.

Ok so let's say that I'm on the baseline at the center mark.
My opponent hits a fast forehand topspin drive down the line.

I can tell that the ball is going to land very deep and with pace and I won't have enough time to get into closed position so I will have to hit open stance.

I backtrack to the ball.
I load up on the backfoot, my shoulder and upper body is rotated as it would be in a neutral stance.
I push off the backfoot to hit my BH but because I'm backtracking my momentum is still moving backwards so my back foot comes off the ground (front foot is already off the ground) and I land on the back foot.

But when I watch Mauresmo she does the above (loads of the back foot) but lands on her front foot.
My thinking is this somehow negates the backward momentum and simulates the stepping in action of a closed stance BH and/or
it quickens recovery from the stroke by a step

This is just my conjecture. If anyone owns an openstance 1hander I would like to hear from you. I don't want to spend hours learning the wrong footwork :) .

Study Blake as well, all I am saying is dont overrotate, it is still a onehanded backhand. You also can shorten your backswing and really use the "pull" on the handle forward feature to help your upper body stay as sideways as you can.

Slazenger
05-26-2006, 02:25 PM
It is interesting that you bring up Blake.
I have studied his open stance BH (and that of Mauresmo and Robredo) and Blake, from what I've observed it 50/50, that is half the time he will land on the back foot, the other half he lands on the front foot.

Robredo lands on the back foot predominantly and Mauresmo the front foot.

Slazenger
05-26-2006, 02:35 PM
To answer the OP's question:

I don't think it matters too much what foot you land on.
If you are going backwards it is probably easier to land on your back foot.
If you are pulled out wide and running sideways, you will most likely land on your right foot.

Bungalo Bill
05-26-2006, 02:36 PM
It is interesting that you bring up Blake.
I have studied his open stance BH (and that of Mauresmo and Robredo) and Blake, from what I've observed it 50/50, that is half the time he will land on the back foot, the other half he lands on the front foot.

Robredo lands on the back foot predominantly and Mauresmo the front foot.

Not really focusing on the feet, many times they will do a scissor type kick and I do think it is important to land properly on what ever foot is proper for balance.

The more important thing is to review Blake's upper body control and the resemblance it has with a neutral to closed onehander.

Slazenger
05-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Not really focusing on the feet, many times they will do a scissor type kick and I do think it is important to land properly whether that one or the other foot for balance.

THe more important thing is to review Blake's upper body control.

Exactly!

Tezuka Kunimitsu
05-28-2006, 06:40 AM
I backtrack to the ball.

That is what I sometimes do with my two hand backhand...Hmm due to bad foot work most of the time? There is not anything wrong with it, just only happens when my oppent hits deep directly at me catching me off graud.

~Joe

Othello
05-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
I finally got the open stance scissor kick footwork. It was pretty easy actually lol.
I went to the tennis club and used the ball machine. Didn't take too long to get it.
Man it has REALLY improved my game.
I can hit BHs off the back foot offensively now.

As for landing on which foot, it is definitely landing on the front foot (a la Mauresmo) that I will be doing. I was balanced through the shot hitting this way. Hitting and landing on the backfoot made me unbalanced and sometimes caused errors.

I played a match today and put my shot to the test. Hit a couple of winners with the open stance BH. It made the most difference in my defense. I was able to transition defense into offense for the first time on the BH side. I was also able to retrieve so many more balls of the BH side.
Man I'm so excited. :mrgreen:

Bungalo Bill
05-29-2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
I finally got the open stance scissor kick footwork. It was pretty easy actually lol.
I went to the tennis club and used the ball machine. Didn't take too long to get it.
Man it has REALLY improved my game.
I can hit BHs off the back foot offensively now.

As for landing on which foot, it is definitely landing on the front foot (a la Mauresmo) that I will be doing. I was balanced through the shot hitting this way. Hitting and landing on the backfoot made me unbalanced and sometimes caused errors.

I played a match today and put my shot to the test. Hit a couple of winners with the open stance BH. It made the most difference in my defense. I was able to transition defense into offense for the first time on the BH side. I was also able to retrieve so many more balls of the BH side.
Man I'm so excited. :mrgreen:

This is what this board is all about. It is great to see someone get something from all the good tips above and none of us had to step on the court with you.

travlerajm
05-29-2006, 11:49 PM
My 2 cents:

I know that this is not the answer you were looking for, but I think it's useful.

When you practice it, practice getting into position as early as you can. You may find that it's possible to step into almost every single backhand during the course of a match if you learn to prepare with more of a "sense of urgency" with every shot. Remember that the people with the best running backhands are the ones who are best at dividing up the running part and the backhand part.

Bungalo Bill
05-29-2006, 11:53 PM
My 2 cents:

I know that this is not the answer you were looking for, but I think it's useful.

When you practice it, practice getting into position as early as you can. You may find that it's possible to step into almost every single backhand during the course of a match if you learn to prepare with more of a "sense of urgency" with every shot. Remember that the people with the best running backhands are the ones who are best at dividing up the running part and the backhand part.

Good stuff!

Othello
05-30-2006, 12:37 AM
My 2 cents:

Thanks Travlerajm.
I know ALL about getting into position early, :) , I do play with a one hander.
In fact one of the major problems in the early development of my BH was hitting the ball too early. The sense of urgency was way to exaggerated with me.

I hit open stance when I have to. I can tell after split stepping if I will be able to hit closed stance or not.

Bungalo Bill
05-30-2006, 01:04 AM
Thanks Travlerajm.
I know ALL about getting into position early, :) , I do play with a one hander.
In fact one of the major problems in the early development of my BH was hitting the ball too early. The sense of urgency was way to exaggerated with me.

I hit open stance when I have to. I can tell after split stepping if I will be able to hit closed stance or not.

Normally, swinging too early comes from the back eye being blocked.