PDA

View Full Version : Sand Tennis Courts

Owfred
05-26-2006, 12:29 PM
At Palmer Fields at the University of Michigan, it says that they have two sand tennis courts, anybody know what that is supposed to mean?

Wtitanium
05-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Most likely for beach tennis. Otherwise, they are probably courts with some sand on them, which is extremly dangerous.

Owfred
05-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Most likely for beach tennis. Otherwise, they are probably courts with some sand on them, which is extremly dangerous.

I dont think its for beach tennis though, because Michigan is not really the ideal place for it, nor is it at popular here (I never heard of it until BeachTennis showed up). I am thinking maybe it is sand-filled synthetic turf(http://www.il-asphalt.org/tenniscourts.html) but thats just a guess

Bungalo Bill
05-26-2006, 02:20 PM
At Palmer Fields at the University of Michigan, it says that they have two sand tennis courts, anybody know what that is supposed to mean?

PLAY BEACH TENNIS! lol Where is he when you need him?

NoBadMojo
05-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Sounds like the sand filled synthetic turf courts....tradename Omnicourt. I would avoid that stuff unless it is impeccably mantained. The sand shifts around and there are places on the court where you can slide, but places which can grab..it can be dangerous if not perfectly maintained. it's also hard on your lower back because the ball skids.

BeachTennis
05-26-2006, 02:47 PM
A stabilized sand surface for tennis courts is formed of a thick, densely tufted, coarse, synthetic fiber carpet which is covered with a single layer of fine, dry, silica sand. The carpet tufts each comprise numerous, closely packed, resilient, somewhat twisted strands of substantially equal length, which are tufted to a resilient carpet base sheet so that the strands tend to intertwine, but extend generally upright from the sheet. The sand layer covers the carpet and fills the interstices from the base sheet to substantially the full height or a little below the full height of the strands. The sand covering layer is stabilized by the mat-like network formed of the closely packed, intertwined, resilient strands against substantial permanent shifting or wind loss, while being relatively yieldable under impact of the tennis ball to produce a playing surface which simulates the playing quality of a clay-type tennis court surface.

But its nice to here people say Beach Tennis !

Think about it there is a new game out there and yes they will be playing it in michagain soon!

Whats realy cool is that some years ago there was this thing called a PC!

Now Look!

Spread the word!

Start the fire!

BB whats up!

Thanks for thinking about me!

Not up for a good hustle?

tennus
05-26-2006, 10:06 PM
A stabilized sand surface for tennis courts is formed of a thick, densely tufted, coarse, synthetic fiber carpet which is covered with a single layer of fine, dry, silica sand. The carpet tufts each comprise numerous, closely packed, resilient, somewhat twisted strands of substantially equal length, which are tufted to a resilient carpet base sheet so that the strands tend to intertwine, but extend generally upright from the sheet. The sand layer covers the carpet and fills the interstices from the base sheet to substantially the full height or a little below the full height of the strands. The sand covering layer is stabilized by the mat-like network formed of the closely packed, intertwined, resilient strands against substantial permanent shifting or wind loss, while being relatively yieldable under impact of the tennis ball to produce a playing surface which simulates the playing quality of a clay-type tennis court surface.

But its nice to here people say Beach Tennis !

Think about it there is a new game out there and yes they will be playing it in michagain soon!

Whats realy cool is that some years ago there was this thing called a PC!

Now Look!

Spread the word!

Start the fire!

BB whats up!

Thanks for thinking about me!

Not up for a good hustle?

WOW ! Beach you've outdone yourself. Nice salesman's explanation of a synthetic grass surface ! What I will say is we have many types of synthetic grass courts in Australia. The length of the artificial pile varies and in conjunction with the amount of sand, largely determines the speed of the court. Shorter piles are faster, cheaper and require repair more often. When it's wet flat serves and groundstrokes are very effective as they skid on. For the same reason some slice is rarely negleted in play. Basically, the ability to slide is dependant on the amount and dispersion of sand. After heavy rain the sand can clump in piles at the outer edges setting up dangerous conditions. Synthetic courts are widely considered low maintenance, aimed at the recreational club player. Always check out repair areas for lifting as I've seen some horrific injuries come from this stuff . :(