PDA

View Full Version : Haarhuis/Eltingh way underrated!

federerhoogenbandfan
05-26-2006, 12:30 PM
This doubles team is far underrated, you never hear them mentioned when talked about great doubles team past. They are one of only 6 teams to win all 4 slam titles, together in doubles, atleast once, and they did it before their chief rivals-the Woodies, did it as well. They won 5 slams, still barely in the top 20 all time, however they only played together 5 years really, from the start of 93-98, but they took over a year off midway through 95 to just before the Olympics in 96. Winning so much in such a short time together compared to other great pairs is remarkable.

They dont get any credit for their great careers and being one of only 6 teams to win the career slam in doubles though. I remember after their matches with the Woodies they never got much credit from the Woodies either, whether they won or lost. So they did not get due credit from their rivals either.

!Tym
05-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Actually, I agree with you. In my mind, they are definitely one of the signature and all-time great doubles teams without question. I loved watching them pair the few times I got to see them.

Eltingh, loved to watch him serve and scoot into the net behind it with the turbo jet boosters in the back, and Harhuis' backhand and smooth and effortless all-court game, very slinky, almost Mecir-like in his movement in some ways, very elan, great hands too.

Yet, overall, the thing is, no one really talks about doubles at all, so it's not hard to see how they slipped through the media radar. Only the really astute tennis fan ever paid attention to doubles. The Woodies, because of their nickname, were an easy to team to market, and they like the Bryan twins now were hyped because of it. They had a gimic in other words, just like Bhuphati/Paes did when they were together, being an Indian descent team which stood out more than a generic European tag team duo.

35ft6
05-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Eltingh's inside out backhand return from the deuce side was pretty sick.

xanctus
05-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Oh I have been fan of Haarhuis...even tho he beat my bro big time during college competetion hehehehe. But I remember Haarhuis beat JohnMac during US open...ck ck ck amazing.
As for Eltingh, I also watch his game couple of times...

Warriorroger
05-27-2006, 03:18 AM
They are annoying. Being from Holland myself they irritate me. The real superstars of the game are nice in interviews and about opponents. Ever hear their comentary on RLT5, only talking about their own tennisdays, nope concerning them I am not patriotic, although I do repect their accomplishments.

Moose Malloy
05-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Both good singles players as well.

Eltingh:
upset Muster at '95 Australian
upset Stich & Ferreira at '95 Wimbledon

Haarhuis:
McEnroe at '89 US Open
Ivanisevic at '91 French
Becker at '91 US Open
Ferreira at '93 French

!Tym
05-28-2006, 02:40 PM
They are annoying. Being from Holland myself they irritate me. The real superstars of the game are nice in interviews and about opponents. Ever hear their comentary on RLT5, only talking about their own tennisdays, nope concerning them I am not patriotic, although I do repect their accomplishments.

Wow, very interesting development. I always thought Harhuis looked rather angelic and rather like a nun. I could totally see him digging Sally Field in the hit tv show "The Flying Nun."

Seriously, though I never would have guessed Harhuis to have much of an ego just by the looks of him, you'd think he'd be like Mother Teresa or something, utterly selfless in his commentary.

Now Eltingh on the other hand, I could imagine. I remember him looking rather bad-azz.

Warriorroger
05-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Wow, very interesting development. I always thought Harhuis looked rather angelic and rather like a nun. I could totally see him digging Sally Field in the hit tv show "The Flying Nun."

Seriously, though I never would have guessed Harhuis to have much of an ego just by the looks of him, you'd think he'd be like Mother Teresa or something, utterly selfless in his commentary.

Now Eltingh on the other hand, I could imagine. I remember him looking rather bad-azz.

Elthing has another mate called Siemerink and they cover Wimbledon in Holland, the one reason I watch it at the BBC.

guernica1
05-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Elthing has another mate called Siemerink and they cover Wimbledon in Holland, the one reason I watch it at the BBC.

LoL... Jan Siemerink? I used to wonder how that guy ever got to top 20 in the world.

urban
05-30-2006, 11:30 AM
Another Dutchman with a good doubles record was Tom Okker. He played with Marty Riessen of the US and was one of the best combinations in the heyday of doubles. Tom won US and French doubles (with Newcombe), and held the ATP doubles record for a long time. I think he runs an art gallery now in Amsterdam, near the Rijksmuseum.

Warriorroger
05-30-2006, 11:44 AM
LoL... Jan Siemerink? I used to wonder how that guy ever got to top 20 in the world.

Unfortunately he did. I used to hate the way they talked about women's tennis. they are umpa lumpa's next to Graf, Navratilova and Seles.