PDA

View Full Version : Kevhen, statistics

Bungalo Bill
05-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Congrats on your tournament play record. I know you worked hard and although we can get into a lot of tiffs, I am impressed with your diligence in pursuing a higher rating in tennis.

Work on that serve and I am sure you will reach your goals.

Roddick The Beast
05-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Aww, someone's decided to be the "bigger man". :)

Smart move BB. Now you "look" like the "good guy". :mrgreen:

Bungalo Bill
05-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Aww, someone's decided to be the "bigger man". :)

Smart move BB. Now you "look" like the "good guy". :mrgreen:

Geez, you guys should know by now, that I play good guy/bad guy.

Kevhen and I will always have our little pow-wows. But when someone earns something, I need to call time-out, acknowledge it, then go back to fighting. :)

So what is with you? I can't dish it out and compliment? What, do you critique every damn word I say? Are you that much of a nut?

Roddick The Beast
05-26-2006, 03:30 PM
So what is with you? I can't dish it out and compliment? What, do you critique every damn word I say? Are you that much of a nut?No. I thought Kevhen was the "nut" . . . or was he the "nitwit" (I forgot :) )?

Bungalo Bill
05-26-2006, 03:34 PM
No. I thought Kevhen was the "nut" . . . or was he the "nitwit" (I forgot :) )?

Damn it, you got both titles. He is now Kevhen. Keep it up and I will be forced to think of another. :cool:

shindemac
05-26-2006, 03:45 PM
I think he'd have a much better serve if he stayed stationary, and bent his knees more. It's almost like he's playing volleyball with the running start, except he has a standing leap.

Bungalo Bill
05-26-2006, 04:48 PM
I think he'd have a much better serve if he stayed stationary, and bent his knees more. It's almost like he's playing volleyball with the running start, except he has a standing leap.

I believe this:

With his height he can easily make a solid 4.5 within 2 maybe 3 years. If he works hard enough maybe sooner. But he must make the right changes and be open to criticism and instruction.

1. Fix the serve: If he wants to still use the Eastern Forehand grip, fine, just dont hit it all the time, and learn to really cork that ball with the Continental

2. Fix the issues with his rotation, etc..

3. He has to change his volley grip. He must use the Continental and work hard at being comfortable with it. I would even go with a slight Eastern backhand but using an Eastern forehand grip for the backhand volley is not good.

4. Still out on the groundstrokes as we haven't seen him hit any.

But I think Kevhen has a lot of potential.

Roddick The Beast
05-26-2006, 06:21 PM
I believe this:

With his height he can easily make a solid 4.5 within 2 maybe 3 years. If he works hard enough maybe sooner. But he must make the right changes and be open to criticism and instruction.

1. Fix the serve: If he wants to still use the Eastern Forehand grip, fine, just dont hit it all the time, and learn to really cork that ball with the Continental

2. Fix the issues with his rotation, etc..

3. He has to change his volley grip. He must use the Continental and work hard at being comfortable with it. I would even go with a slight Eastern backhand but using an Eastern forehand grip for the backhand volley is not good.

4. Still out on the groundstrokes as we haven't seen him hit any.

But I think Kevhen has a lot of potential.You seem to be going with the notion: An old dog CAN learn new tricks.

Bungalo Bill
05-26-2006, 06:30 PM
You seem to be going with the notion: An old dog CAN learn new tricks.

Always, hey, wait, I am an old dog, what did you mean by that? :mad: Watch it RTB, you already have two nicknames attached to you.

bribeiro
05-26-2006, 06:35 PM
teach me to serve like sampras bill

Bungalo Bill
05-26-2006, 06:37 PM
teach me to serve like sampras bill

Hold on (BB, goes and gets his wizard outfit on), okay I am back, where is your film?

kevhen
05-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks, I will be 4.5 rated by the end of next year. I am beating lots of 4.5s at the club in doubles so both my serve and volley have improved. I do mostly serve with continental or eastern backhand these days as spin is often even more effective than pure power but I do occasionally rip the eastern forehand flat serve as a surprise gift.

I do still hit swinging backhand vollies when I have time and these are 4.0 level. I also hit one handers with the wrong grip when no time and these are improving too. I have been working with a volley guru and trying to use the right grip and right technique but old habits will be hard to break but my game has always evolved in the past as I moved from 3.5 to 4.0 and now I am on the verge of becoming 4.5 so I am sure my game will continue to evolve. I am definitely not a static person.

I have maybe 5 more years before my body plateaus and slows down on me (currently 35) but I think I will be able to stay at a 4.5 level for awhile once I get there. I know I can be a pain in the *** but I have gotten to this level where I can compete with state champs and good D3s (4.5 type guys around here) by mostly thinking for myself while reading, watching, and figuring out what works for me.

I learn alot from this forum, Bill has lots of good inputs, but I will always challenge ideas that I don't 100% agree with through my experiences. Thanks for all the help and maybe I can find a way to get some groundstroke and volley footage on here (try not to cringe!). I am definitely more of a strategy guy than a technique guy as I am one who just wants to win points at whatever level I play no matter how it may look. Thanks all,

Kevin

Rickson
05-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Geez, you guys should know by now, that I play good guy/bad guy.

Kevhen and I will always have our little pow-wows. But when someone earns something, I need to call time-out, acknowledge it, then go back to fighting. :)

So what is with you? I can't dish it out and compliment? What, do you critique every damn word I say? Are you that much of a nut?
This RTB character is definitely not playing with a full deck. Pay him no mind, BB.

vinouspleasure
05-27-2006, 06:27 PM
actually, I was playing volleyball today and in the middle of a jump serve (in warmups) I thought...this is a little what kehven looks like when he serves. (facing the net, jumping into the court and hitting)

kheven, did you ever play vball?

kevhen
05-27-2006, 06:33 PM
yeah, I still play volleyball but unfortunately I don't jump serve and rarely hit overhead serves. I do place the ball very well and am very consistent with the underhand serve. I wait for hitting overhead when I am an net and can use my height to hit down on the ball.

I think my tennis serving motion comes from having played lots of basketball and it being similar to a right-hand layup.

Speaking of underhanded serve. One of the 4.5 guys hit one against me on match point in a doubles tiebreaker last week. Really surprised he did that but it worked for him. He was very frustrated because we were beating him and his 4.5 partner 5-3 and my partner just has a 3.5 rating but they rallied to take us to tiebreak so it was a good set.

I have seen 3.5 players hit underhanded serves but never a 4.5. I will hit overhead dropshot serves if my opponent is too far back but very rarely do this.