PDA

View Full Version : How To Hit A More "Traditional" Forehand??

Alexander
05-26-2006, 05:04 PM
I hit with a SW grip and often an open stance. The problem is I tend to come off the ball due to the violent rotation necessary in this setup. It creates balance issues, mishits, and excessively loopy shots (I want flatter shots). I need to lengthen my stroke, and I think this means incorporating some traditional technique (ie a neutral stance, step forward, finish with racquet towards the target). Are there any videos out there of a "traditional" forehand? I understand the general idea, but the weight transfer and the amount of shoulder turn in the traditional stroke is a little unclear to me. I think a visual aid would help. If anyone has some tips in implementing the plan, I'd appreciate those very much too. Eventually, I'd like to build a more "modern" forehand. I'll keep some things, like leading with the elbow and loading the legs. But I'm still inexperienced and not good enough to hit consistently with the complete package. Thanks a lot!

TennisParent
05-26-2006, 05:11 PM
I hit with a SW grip and often an open stance. The problem is I tend to come off the ball due to the violent rotation necessary in this setup. It creates balance issues, mishits, and excessively loopy shots (I want flatter shots). I need to lengthen my stroke, and I think this means incorporating some traditional technique (ie a neutral stance, step forward, finish with racquet towards the target). Are there any videos out there of a "traditional" forehand? I understand the general idea, but the weight transfer and the amount of shoulder turn in the traditional stroke is a little unclear to me. I think a visual aid would help. If anyone has some tips in implementing the plan, I'd appreciate those very much too. Eventually, I'd like to build a more "modern" forehand. I'll keep some things, like leading with the elbow and loading the legs. But I'm still inexperienced and not good enough to hit consistently with the complete package. Thanks a lot!

http://webtennis.net/nltr-060524-qt.htm

Here you go...

Bungalo Bill
05-26-2006, 05:36 PM

You must learn to lengthen the swing! This is what I have been trying to tell everyone. Lengthing the swing does not mean you look like a dork from the past. It means you're going to be able to penetrate through the ball using the Nike Swoosh pattern and windshield wiping over to the other side.

But you first must train the muscles to go out to the target first before breaking off.

Roddick The Beast
05-26-2006, 06:00 PM
I hit with a SW grip and often an open stance. The problem is I tend to come off the ball due to the violent rotation necessary in this setup. It creates balance issues, mishits, and excessively loopy shots (I want flatter shots). I need to lengthen my stroke, and I think this means incorporating some traditional technique (ie a neutral stance, step forward, finish with racquet towards the target). Are there any videos out there of a "traditional" forehand? I understand the general idea, but the weight transfer and the amount of shoulder turn in the traditional stroke is a little unclear to me. I think a visual aid would help. If anyone has some tips in implementing the plan, I'd appreciate those very much too. Eventually, I'd like to build a more "modern" forehand. I'll keep some things, like leading with the elbow and loading the legs. But I'm still inexperienced and not good enough to hit consistently with the complete package. Thanks a lot!Good boy! A lot of folks nowadays (especially "beginners"!) will immediately jump to the "modern" strokes! They don't even have proper balance and mechanics yet they seem to always insist on trying to do the "modern" thing right off the bat!

What you are doing is good. Usually beginners today are too hard-headed to start off with the "basics" -- the non-flashy moves that enable the clean contact.

Alexander
05-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Lengthing the swing does not mean you look like a dork from the past.
I don't care if I look like a dork if I improve. Besides "classic" can be "cool."

But you first must train the muscles to go out to the target first before breaking off.
Today 08:11 PM

Okay, how do I do this? I'd like to keep the wrap-around finish, but I've got to separate it from the linear extension through the ball.

What you are doing is good. Usually beginners today are too hard-headed to start off with the "basics" -- the non-flashy moves that enable the clean contact.
Thanks. I picked up tennis for fun and started hitting with a very talented friend of mine. He's a 4.5 player. Anyway, I struggled to stay in the rallies. So, he showed me a SW grip (actually it was more of a pure western), an open stance, loading the back foot, etc. These things helped my forehand, but I think it would've been better if I had learned the fundamentals first.

I'm not famillar with the neutral stance though. I don't know how the feet work. How do I distribute my weight? Do both feet stay planted on the ground? Does the front leg load or does it function as more of a pivot?

JCo872
05-26-2006, 09:21 PM
http://webtennis.net/nltr-060524-qt.htm

Here you go...

Interesting to compare his forehand to what the pros are doing.

Looks like a nice more traditional forehand with some components that are modern. He gets the butt of the racket pointing to the ball on the approach, which is modern, but you can see that he doesn't get the kind of extension that the pros get through contact. But it's a nice forehand. His motion is very smooth and relaxed.

joe sch
05-26-2006, 09:31 PM
I would suggest moving your hitting stance more towards closed and trying to stay more anchored to the ground. Like BB suggested, using a more elongated windup and follow thru, nike swoosh, you should be able to flatten out very deep and consistent drives. I like the way both Blake and Federer are hitting those more classical FH's. I have also found that with the classic FH, I really need to make it a racket head, wrist, and arm orientated stroke and not let the shoulder interfere. The shoulder is soo much more involved with a modern FH and very hard to remove when attempting the classic FH.

TennisParent
05-27-2006, 05:37 AM
Interesting to compare his forehand to what the pros are doing.

Looks like a nice more traditional forehand with some components that are modern. He gets the butt of the racket pointing to the ball on the approach, which is modern, but you can see that he doesn't get the kind of extension that the pros get through contact. But it's a nice forehand. His motion is very smooth and relaxed.
I agree. Looks like a fh that the recreational player can and perhaps should emulate more easily and still be able to play high quality tennis with.

Alexander
05-27-2006, 10:06 AM
I would suggest moving your hitting stance more towards closed and trying to stay more anchored to the ground
Okay. So is it fair to say that I should keep both legs bent and my center of gravity low to the ground throughout the shot? I read a thread from a while ago about an "athletic" setup with the legs farther apart and flexed. I think I will try to incorporate that into the neutral stance.