PDA

View Full Version : Hit UP on your serve

Marius_Hancu
05-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Well, this is my tip of the day:-)

Do your rocking motion/weight transfer, and hit UP on your serve, don't try to send the ball on a straight-line trajectory ending at the target point (should you do that, it will, most of the time, end up in the net), but try to aim at contact towards a point higher than that on the same vertical.

The ball will curve down under gravity, the lashing effect of the arm (simultaneous with the forearm pronation), and as a result of the spin which you need to impart for control purposes. Your knee bend and your hip rotation should help with that.

Especially effective on the kick serve. Your ball trajectory will be higher, and it will also kick higher after impact.

Comments welcome, of course.

Roddick The Beast
05-26-2006, 07:12 PM
See my stickies for more details. Also see links in those threads, and the sub-links in those threads.

Wtitanium
05-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Or you could take growth enhancement pills, and then be like 5 inches taller, and then hit it straight.

Good advice.

mclee025
05-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Well, this is my tip of the day:-)

try to aim at contact towards a point higher than that on the same vertical.

Thanks for another great tip Marius. Can you elaborate on how high that aim point is?

I'm sure it varies with the type of serve, so how high is that aim point for a good kick serve. Also, can you tell me how much the ball clears the net by on a decent serve of this nature?