PDA

View Full Version : Foot pain

Ronaldo
02-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Here is a new one. Have pain where the leg meets the foot above the ankle in the spot where you would normally tie your shoes. Really hurts if you walk up an incline. Naturally, trying to hit a low ball feels quite wonderful. Thought it was bruised but not for 4 weeks. Anyone that has any ides, please reply.

bfonz7
02-18-2004, 01:03 PM
Might have something to do with your achilles tendon, i'd get that checked out by a doctor asap

WW Volley
02-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Hard to say the specifics of your injury.

As bfonz7 said, get it checked out. That's always your best bet.

When I was in hockey, I had a pain similiar to that which is sometimes called "skate bite." Basically it was a form of tendinitis. Perhaps? I have no idea, but I know I had similiar pains in hockey.

polakosaur
02-19-2004, 11:10 AM
has the pain decreased, if its decreasing week by week thats okay you'll get better but if its staying at the same pain level them you might have a problem, i suggest you try out some glucosamine condroitin whenever i get a problem associated with my joints a take a pill and i helps the joint recover, if the pain ain't going down see a doc

Eric Matuszewski
02-19-2004, 09:28 PM
You have some type of microtrauma in the tendon of your tibialis anterior.

If you try to walk around up on your heels (opposite of "on your toes") it will hurt.

This condition is commonly refered to as "shin splints" and comes from inadequately trained legs trying to do to much at once. ie. trying to run a couple of miles when your usually a couch potato.

See a physical therapist and they will fix you right up in a couple of treatments. Or go to a orthopedic doctor (I don't recommend wasting your time and money with a general practitioner on this.)

axle
02-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Ronaldo -
I have recently recovered from a very acute form of "shin splints" and I had the best luck with my masseuse. NO, I didn't mean it like that!!! Get your mind out of the gutter.. I had a half hour massage per week for about 4 weeks which focused entirely on my lower leg and foot. WARNING.. This was not a "feel good" massage... it was deep tissue and very painful (but in a good way :wink: ). The cause was overtraining. I was training for my 3rd marathon and about 5 weeks into the training my legs said - I NEED REST!!! As much as I didn't like the implied "laziness" of Erics post, he was somewhat correct in saying it stems from inadequately trained legs trying to do to much at once. In my case I ramped my mileage too quickly. I could barely walk for about 3-4 days. It took me about 6 weeks to feel somewhat normal again and able to get back on the trail (and back on the court :D ). Its been about 4 months now and its fine and I am slowly getting back to where I was. Get it looked at by a Sports therapist or someone in your area that actually exercises and can comprehend sports related injuries. The massage in combination with doing low impact exercises with a piece of surgical tubing yielded the best results for me.

Eric Matuszewski
02-20-2004, 07:53 AM
Dear Axle, thanks for the support sorry if "couch potato" strikes a raw nerve but its a good concise image alot of people can relate to. Replace it with "Weekend Warrior" if you like something softer.

People trying to do too much excercise in one outing is very common in our society. Were used to getting what we want today, yesterday ie. fast food, express shipping, and the billion dollar a year "loose weight quick" supplement market that I find personally disgusting. What kind of messages are we sending to kids here?

Our muscle/tendon strength works on a principal I like to call "use it or loose it". Carrying around muscle+tendon that we are not making use of is a waste of adenosine triposphate the body's only source of energy (ATP).

So your body gets rid of "extra anatomy" pretty quick leaving you weak and pretty supseptible to injury if you try to use any muscle more than what your used to doing.

Ronaldo
02-20-2004, 07:52 PM
Thanks, ck'dout a runners website as far as treating shin splints earlier. Changed shoes after 4 yrs and suddenly started playing 3x/week this month. To paraphrase Hot Rod, "Just when you think you know the answers, they change the injury."

jayserinos99
02-22-2004, 09:10 PM
I had this problem when I bought shoes without adequate arch supports, so I bought some footmaxx soles with a more pronounced arch support and my feet and legs feel fine.