PDA

View Full Version : recreational courts in DC area

pham4313
05-26-2006, 10:20 PM
hi guys,
Just want to know are there any free courts around in the DC area? My brother and i will visit in the second week of June. We might look for a couple games either singles or doubles. I am a low 4.0 and my brother is a strong 3.5...nothing much just for fun...aslo if theres no free lunch, we might head to a club and play there...:)

atatu
05-31-2006, 01:44 PM
See the post below. There is East Potomac Park (Haines Point) that is pretty cheap, also the facility at 16th and Kennedy Streets. If you can't afford the minimal court fees then head to the court at UDC which is on Wisconsin Ave just north of Tilden Street. You could probably sneak on at American Univeristy with no problem.

JRstriker12
05-31-2006, 02:44 PM
hi guys,
Just want to know are there any free courts around in the DC area? My brother and i will visit in the second week of June. We might look for a couple games either singles or doubles. I am a low 4.0 and my brother is a strong 3.5...nothing much just for fun...aslo if theres no free lunch, we might head to a club and play there...:)

DC has plenty of free courts. Here's a list courtesy of DC parks and recreation: http://app.dpr.dc.gov/DPR/information/tennis_courts/tennis_courts.asp?quad=SE

Note - DC is divided into 4 sections (NE,SE, NW, SW) - click the tabs on the page to see the courts in the different quadrants.

BTW - feel free to PM me if you want to try and set up a match. I know a guy who might want to play too if you want to set-up doubles.

JerodT
05-31-2006, 08:26 PM
UDC's courts are lighted too. Not sure when the lights cut off. There are a few courts that have been repaved, Turkey Thickett in NE DC. PM me if you want to hit some when you get in town. I'm a solid 3.5 player.

Joe Average
06-05-2006, 11:56 AM
If you're in the Georgetown area, you might investigate the Georgetown University courts, which are lighted. I don't know if they abide a summer schedule, but the courts are open to the public. You'll have to pay for parking, though, if you're driving.

If you're in the UDC area (University of the District of Columbia -- Van Ness) you might also investigate the courts at Woodrow Wilson High School. Three very nice courts. Wilson, I believe, is on Brandywine, just off Wisconsin Avenue.

Enjoy! DC isn't such a bad tennis town (city).

Joe Average
06-05-2006, 12:56 PM
If you can't afford the minimal court fees then head to the court at UDC which is on Wisconsin Ave just north of Tilden Street.

Hey, Atatu. You've been away too long (away from the unbearable humidity). They're just off Connecticut. The courts are at Yuma Street off Connecticut Avenue, to be precise. I used to live three blocks away.

atatu
06-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Yeah, my bad, I always got Conn and Wisconsin mixed up. My other favorite public courts were Rose Park in Georgetown, I used to love to go mix it up with the regulars there.

JRstriker12
06-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah, my bad, I always got Conn and Wisconsin mixed up. My other favorite public courts were Rose Park in Georgetown, I used to love to go mix it up with the regulars there.

How does that work in Georgetown? It there some sort of pick-up tennis night or something?

Joe Average
06-06-2006, 02:46 PM

Yeah. I've heard about those courts. They're kind of like a New York City playground, except in a good way. Bring a racquet and you've got a game. The courts on 18th Street in Adams Morgan, I hear, are similar in that way. But the actual courts aren't as nice.

There are also courts on Rodman Street, just off Reno, and right behnd Sidwell Friends School (on Wisconsin Avenue) that are pretty good. It's got a nice wall. Sidwell Friends has some nice courts. But they're private.

pham4313
06-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks a lot guys...appreciate your feedbacks...I ll message you or will post here again when i get in town next week...hope to get a chance to hit some ball with you guys :p

JRstriker12
06-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah. I've heard about those courts. They're kind of like a New York City playground, except in a good way. Bring a racquet and you've got a game. The courts on 18th Street in Adams Morgan, I hear, are similar in that way. But the actual courts aren't as nice.

There are also courts on Rodman Street, just off Reno, and right behnd Sidwell Friends School (on Wisconsin Avenue) that are pretty good. It's got a nice wall. Sidwell Friends has some nice courts. But they're private.

Cool. Is that every night at G-Town? Do you know what times they play?

Joe Average
06-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Cool. Is that every night at G-Town? Do you know what times they play?

I don't really know. I've never been there (although I've driven by). And I've only been told about the place. Atatu would be able to tell you better. But I imagine DC tennis is like most places. People come out after 5:00 p.m.

Joe Average
06-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Ooops. Hit the button twice.

atatu
06-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Haven't played Rose Park in awhile, but like a lot of places, the regulars tend to stick together. If you want in, you need to be assertive, but not too obnoxious. If you're a good player, you'll do fine. I would not recommend going there if you're below a 4.0 player. There used to be a wall there, so you could go hit the wall for awhile first to show that you've got game then ask around to see if you can get into some doubles action.

pham4313
06-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Haven't played Rose Park in awhile, but like a lot of places, the regulars tend to stick together. If you want in, you need to be assertive, but not too obnoxious. If you're a good player, you'll do fine. I would not recommend going there if you're below a 4.0 player. There used to be a wall there, so you could go hit the wall for awhile first to show that you've got game then ask around to see if you can get into some doubles action.

cool...i will keep it in mind....Rose park is in George town? what about the college courts? I doubt they d be open to public:p thanks

pham4313
06-08-2006, 10:04 AM
oops i looked up and it looks like rose park is by 26th and O street.:p would love to play some doubles there...i see a lot of lakes in the area...are we allowed to swim in those?

f1 tech
06-08-2006, 10:13 AM
If you're in the UDC area (University of the District of Columbia -- Van Ness) you might also investigate the courts at Woodrow Wilson High School. Three very nice courts. Wilson, I believe, is on Brandywine, just off Wisconsin Avenue.?

I went to Wilson and those courts were the ones that I grew up playing. Man, I have great memories of those days.

pham4313
06-08-2006, 02:12 PM
any clay courts guys? :p watching the French kinda arouses me....just a thought:p

Joe Average
06-08-2006, 04:11 PM
cool...i will keep it in mind....Rose park is in George town? what about the college courts? I doubt they d be open to public:p thanks

Well, as I mentioned, the Georgetown University courts are open to the public. I've only been there twice ... was driven ... so I wouldn't be able to give you driving directions. You'll have to do some homework. I believe there are twelve courts. Parkng is $2 an hour, but they don't really check. Just say you're going to be there an hour. The best thing is that they're lighted! I think the American University courts are open to the public as well. And I hear they're quite nice. It really depends on what part of town you'll be, because there are choices. Most outdoor college/university courts are actually open to the public. Part of community outreach, I guess. Also, too much trouble to check.

atatu
06-09-2006, 07:23 AM
any clay courts guys? :p watching the French kinda arouses me....just a thought:p

There are Har Tru courts at Haines Point and 16th and Kennedy. As I said before, court fees are reasonable.

pham4313
06-13-2006, 09:12 AM
played this morning at Rose park court...they are pretty nice courts...i saw some regulars there too...but the true players dont come out until 4 or 5 in the afternoon. one thing is the court kinda dips in the middle...i guess its just sign of aging.:p anyone want to hit let me know...i ll be out this afternoon for some doubles or whatever:p thanks

atatu
06-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I forgot about the dipping courts. Hey, after your hit at Rose Park, go to Wisconsin and P streets (right down the road) and check out Thomas Sweet Ice Cream, it's great on a summers day after tennis.

pham4313
06-21-2006, 07:37 AM
Had a chance to hit with Eric, Mathew, Michael, Don, Ethane, Andrew last week at Rose Park...these are great regulars 3.5-5.0 who hit on daily basis. Got great tips and so far great experience...thanks guys

penpal
07-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Great info all --

[smameless plug on]

You should post some reviews at CourtCoverage.com :D

[/shameless plug]

Sorry, couldn't resist :P