PDA

View Full Version : Should i bh slice if i can't do a decent backhand

damasta55
05-26-2006, 10:47 PM
My backhand really sucks. I can do a very weak 2 handed one, and as for one hand, its practically non-existent. But i can do bh slices very good, i would say, its actually a lot easier to control and consistent than by fh, it also has a lot of spin and curves after hitting the ground. so should i focus on my backhand also because its a necessary skill or give it up and just continue slicing it back?

35ft6
05-26-2006, 10:57 PM
My slice backhand is my bread and butter shot, and people are always commenting how tough it is to deal with. But you really need to be able to hit every corner with it. I can hit crosscourt all day but for my slice to be really effective I need to be hitting down the line just as well on that day.

raftermania
05-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Continue to work on your 2 Handed Shot, give it time and it will develop. For now, rely on your slicer in match play, but don't expect it to take you to wimbledon (unless your Steffi Graf).

TENNIS_IS_FUN
05-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Continue to work on your 2 Handed Shot, give it time and it will develop. For now, rely on your slicer in match play, but don't expect it to take you to wimbledon (unless your Steffi Graf).

OR, you can play like this Santaro, but instead of slicing on your forehand side, your gonna wanna slice on your backhand side (obviously).

wyutani
05-27-2006, 02:48 AM
never use a backhand slice. ONLY USE it as an ATTACKING form. never use slicing as a defense or you'll may suffer. since you're learning a 2 BH, why dun you learn a 1 BH instead mate'?

Andres
05-27-2006, 05:00 AM
never use a backhand slice. ONLY USE it as an ATTACKING form. never use slicing as a defense or you'll may suffer. since you're learning a 2 BH, why dun you learn a 1 BH instead mate'?
Darling, I really appreciate you trying to make some insightful advices here, but sometimes, you make no sense, and you sound like you had never played tennis in your life!
Never use a backhand slice? Even defensive???
I can understand if you adviced never to slice in an attacking way, because topspin and flat backhands work better, but defensive? Defensive slices are one of the smartest strokes in tennis. You can't be defensive and be hitting topspins and flat backhands all the time. In fact, not even half of the time... it takes too much time, compared to a slice backhand), to create a topspin backhand, and when you're chasing down balls, TIME IS, precisely, what you are missing ;)

But slicing takes away the pace of the opponent... Why do you think pros very often slices the ball on their backhand in a defensive way? Because sometimes that's the only way to go... it's returning the ball, or losing the point, what do you prefer?

Captain America
05-27-2006, 05:30 AM
I'd look at things in terms of short-term and longe-term objectives.

To be successful over the longer-term, you'll need to develop a solid topsin (or flat) backhand. This will help keep your opponent behind the baseline during rallies and also be a weapon against net rushers.

In the short-term, the BH slice can serve you very well (and it will be a great weapon to have at all levels as you progress). Work on your technique so that you keep your shots deep (ie, not floating) and move your opponent corner to corner. I also think the slice BH can be a very effective approach shot since it stays low after the bounce.

Good luck!

shindemac
05-27-2006, 08:02 AM
Damasta, how long have you been playing? Cause it doesn't take that long to develop a decent backhand if you work at it. After one summer, it should be decent. Don't be afraid to hit it, even if it will set you back temporarily. Try to avoid the slice as much as possible. Yes, if you are playing a match, you can use the slice and avoid your backhand. But during practice, work on improving it until it's match ready.

Robbie_1988
05-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Hi wyutani i'm just curious. But you keep using "mate" in your posts. Is that just a thing you do or are you Australian born? Just a curious question. I don't intend to offend you but if you are using an aussie term "mate" and really are Australian born, you don't make sense for someone who comes from an english speaking country.

Again not intending to offend here. I'm just curious because I'm Australian myself but I've never seen someone use so "mate" so many times in their posts over here.

wyutani
05-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Hi wyutani i'm just curious. But you keep using "mate" in your posts. Is that just a thing you do or are you Australian born? Just a curious question. I don't intend to offend you but if you are using an aussie term "mate" and really are Australian born, you don't make sense for someone who comes from an english speaking country.

Again not intending to offend here. I'm just curious because I'm Australian myself but I've never seen someone use so "mate" so many times in their posts over here.

hhmm~im actually australian till i moved to hong kong at 6, i dun have the accent anymore though. actually i used the "mate" like a couple of times till andres started complaining and i've been using "mate'" ever since to irritate that bugger. hehe ;) seriously, i dun talk like how i post stuff here...no offense taken.

RiosTheGenius
05-27-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm sorry, but this is probably the worst tennis advice I have read in a long time. the only time one can ever hit a slice BH in ofense would be as an approaching shot, in that case you're coming with it to the net to put it away... but most tipically a slice BH will be used to return a low ball to your BH or as a defensive shot when on the run.
as for the original question, I think it is ok to base your BH game on slice shots, but you will play many guys who hit very loopy shots to your BH and you definitely want to work on that topspin BH... but congrats on your slice BH if it is as good as you say, cuz it isn't an easy shot to master. good luck

Kabob190
05-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Definitely learn how to use the topsin or flat backhand. Its good to use the slice but you dont want to slice every single time. I would say get a coach and have him teach you how to hit a descent backhand. I used to be like you except my slice sucked too just not as much but i still used my regular 2 hander but i used slice almost just as often. Now after a lot of hours of practice i have a descent topspin backhand, its worth learning.

Andres
05-27-2006, 09:00 AM
hhmm~im actually australian till i moved to hong kong at 6, i dun have the accent anymore though. actually i used the "mate" like a couple of times till andres started complaining and i've been using "mate'" ever since to irritate that bugger. hehe ;) seriously, i dun talk like how i post stuff here...no offense taken.
Ohhh you're so witty!!!!! :rolleyes:
*runs away and hide *

damasta55
05-27-2006, 09:47 AM
thnx for the advice guys, i still am practicing my backhand, but when i do it, im almost pushing the ball back, because if i swing the ball will most likely fly out of the court with 2bh, probably because my timings very off, i pull the racquet back at the last moment... i've been playing tennis for almost a year.

Ripper
05-27-2006, 09:57 AM
I'd look at things in terms of short-term and longe-term objectives.

To be successful over the longer-term, you'll need to develop a solid topsin (or flat) backhand. This will help keep your opponent behind the baseline during rallies and also be a weapon against net rushers.

In the short-term, the BH slice can serve you very well (and it will be a great weapon to have at all levels as you progress). Work on your technique so that you keep your shots deep (ie, not floating) and move your opponent corner to corner. I also think the slice BH can be a very effective approach shot since it stays low after the bounce.

Good luck!

Captain America said it right. Listen to this man.

Woodstock_Tennis
05-27-2006, 03:21 PM
hmmm like others have stated, the bh slice is a great defensive hit, I've got no idea why you would want to use it for offense unless you use it as an approach shot.....

lucky leprechaun
05-27-2006, 11:06 PM
so should i focus on my backhand also because its a necessary skill or give it up and just continue slicing it back?

I'm in same boat as you. I have pretty much given up on coming over the ball except for a pass. I feel like a pusher sometimes, but I save a ton of energy doing it. And I don't shoot myself in the foot and make errors at least the other guy has to win it. I don't have much power from the baseline anyway, so I concentrate on depth and consistency.

chex
05-28-2006, 12:33 AM
you need to learn how to hit a backhand..

backhands I think are much easier to learn than forehands... I can consistantly hit deep solid shots to the corner... less maneuverable though, since you've got both hands stuck on it..
You should slice when your opponent hits a hard, wide shot that you have to stretch/reach for.. and low balls.. and approach shots..
you can.. and probably should use slice back hands.. every now and then just to change around the pace of the ball, assuming your slices stay low to the net, and isn't a lobbish kind of slice..

Using a slice backhand as your main stroke probably won't help you in the long run.
remember to turn your shoulder and torso

goober
05-28-2006, 05:32 AM
Besides that usual Steffi Graf example, I have met some guys that have won 4.5 tournaments with a slice BH.

I topspin my BH about 25% of the time and slice the rest. I find that I am more accurate, more consistent and most people don't like heavily sliced balls. You should still try to develop a topspin BH to mix things up and give you more options.

Bungalo Bill
05-28-2006, 12:18 PM
My backhand really sucks. I can do a very weak 2 handed one, and as for one hand, its practically non-existent. But i can do bh slices very good, i would say, its actually a lot easier to control and consistent than by fh, it also has a lot of spin and curves after hitting the ground. so should i focus on my backhand also because its a necessary skill or give it up and just continue slicing it back?

You are simply not doing something right. I am a firm believer, with the right instructions, anyone can hit one of the topspin backhands.

If you are really that disgusted, it might be time to take a break. In the meantime, by all means hit that slice. The slice backhand seems to be making a strong comeback and is being hit more and more at the pro level. I think we have Federer and coaches like Gilbert to thank for that.

If you feel more comfortable hitting the slice I would recommend learning both an offensive slice (sometimes referred to as the German slice) and a defensive slice.