PDA

View Full Version : WHat software do I need to make my own slo-mo videos?

ondray
05-27-2006, 06:49 AM
Help is greatly appreaciated.

Thanks a bundle!

Andre

theace21
05-27-2006, 07:35 AM
MAC - Final Cut Pro
PC - Adobe Premier

I use Premier, if you have a pc you might have movie maker. I have never used it, but it is free.

35ft6
05-27-2006, 01:08 PM
To simply make slow mo videos, Final Cut Pro is a bit of overkill, especially considering that it costs up to $1400 (since they only sell it bundled now).

If you have a Mac, iMovie is fine. And that'll only set you back $79 (iLife package). If you have Windows, there are plenty of entry level video editing app's that cost about $100.

If you have a camcorder, you'll need a firewire cable to digitize your footage.

If you're using a phone, then maybe all you need is Quicktime Pro. Just use your USB or Bluetooth to get the footage on your computer, then slow down the footage. Simple as that. If you need to, export it into a new file form.

munk3y
05-27-2006, 03:38 PM
All of the methods mentioned above costs money. While making slow mo videos like the ones in the Australian Open 2006 are close to impossible (unless your Bill Gates jr.), there is an easy way of making it.

You will need:
1. Your video file
2. VirtualDub (this software is freeware, you can get it by typing virtualdub in google)

You can then use virtual dub to cut, add, slowdown, speed up and do many other things to your video.

Once you've loaded the video in virtual dub, press Ctrl + R (or just go to "Video" in the task bar and select "Frame rate")
Select the second option from the top, and adjust the framerate to your liking.

Once done, go to "video" in the task bar, and select "direct stream copy". If you don't do this, when you save your video, its going to be massive.
You may now proceed to save. Selecting the "save as avi" is probably the best option, but I havn't tried anything else.

erik-the-red
05-27-2006, 05:01 PM
The so-called "slo-mo" videos we think of (ie. the Australian Open 2006 ones) are actually fast-motion as the frame rate is significantly above 24. Heck, it might even be close to 1000!

nViATi
05-27-2006, 05:51 PM
The so-called "slo-mo" videos we think of (ie. the Australian Open 2006 ones) are actually fast-motion as the frame rate is significantly above 24. Heck, it might even be close to 1000!
Yep. They capture a LOT of frames every second. I think those cameras capture 500 or 1000 frames per second.

freelans
05-28-2006, 04:33 AM
Use virtualdub and reduce the framerate.

Newberry
05-28-2006, 05:31 AM
I use Ulead Video Studio. Its one of the few editors that I've tried that lets me use the Mpeg4 video from my Casio EX-Z759 camera.

Just drop the video into the timeline, right click on it and adjust the speed (25% works well).

You can save it as a .mov file too, which is nice for reviewing.

I did my serve videos here with Ulead: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=101629

For free, I agree that virtual dub is usable. Its not the easiest interface though!

35ft6
05-28-2006, 06:21 AM
The so-called "slo-mo" videos we think of (ie. the Australian Open 2006 ones) are actually fast-motion as the frame rate is significantly above 24. Heck, it might even be close to 1000! great point. didn't think of that. It's not going to look the professional stuff of Federer.