PDA

View Full Version : the Original Prince CTS series

downtheline04
07-03-2004, 03:12 PM
Did anyone love the original Prince CTS series {Precision, Approach, Graduate, Thunderstick}?

I just recollect how awesome the cushion grip felt and how much power and stability there was with each shot.

I am parting with my old Approach 110s through the other forum, and just seeing those racquets and taking pictures of them brought a flood of memories.

I think all successive widebodies, Prince or not, were based on their success and design.

They are probably as good or better than the new gimmicky offerings today.

However, the Thunderstick was way too powerful, and the strings broke very easily.

K. Wilson Moose
07-03-2004, 08:38 PM
The Prince CTS Approach 90 was a great frame. Excellent for serves, volleys, and a real spin meister with controllable power. Played some of my best tennis with that frame. I would buy a few if they were currently available.

You are right about the CTS Thunderstick. That thing was a howitzer.

kreative
07-04-2004, 12:40 AM
loved the cts lightning 90

Morpheus
07-04-2004, 04:25 AM
I really liked the CTS Approach. My dog chewed it up and by the time I started up playing again, it was discontinued. I could really spin my serve with that racket. Anyone know the specs on that racket. The CTS stood for "Contant Taper System" I believe and the racket was thicker at the tip than the throat.

I'm trying to remember the year--it must have been in the latter half of the 80s, does that sound right? (I took off quite a few years and dabbled just a little at different times so I'm a little fuzzy on the years I actually played.)

Ronaldo
07-04-2004, 07:44 AM
Still have the CTS Response and Graduate, prefer both over the Graphite mid. OK, so ban me.

dje31
07-04-2004, 07:48 AM
I used the CTS Graduate 90 from '89-'97, while my wife used the CTS Precision 90 for the same time. We still have a lot of love for those frames, as you can tell from the length of time we used them. As widebodies go, both were on the narrower side.

Swan Song
07-04-2004, 09:58 PM
I have tried the CTS Synergy Lite(Moya's old schtick), and it was pretty nice despite the fact that it was too light for me.

jayserinos99
07-05-2004, 04:24 AM
My first racquet was the CTS Thunderstick 110. I can't believe I used the thing when I was 11 or 12. The thing was a beast. It's still strung up at home with ProBlend I think.

SwissServe
07-05-2004, 06:53 AM
I used the Prince Vortex, the one with the strange string bed.... and a CTS Synergy.

I liked the Vortex, but unfortunately I smashed them to the ground (wet grip).

hadoken
07-05-2004, 09:59 AM
The Approach 90 is a classic. They regularly show up on ****, but getting a good one in the grip size you want may take some time. I still use it because I simply cannot (or will not) adapt my game to a modern frame. The core design of Approach 90, (tiny head, open pattern, flexible and heavy with widebody power) is weird on paper but for those that have used it, it's an *** kicking frame.

!Tym
07-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Would TW consider bringing back any of the retro CTS frames? I remember them saying that they could custom order any Prince frame provided they order enough. Certainly, the demand on here seems like more than enough. I don't see why TW would have a problem selling them out.

I remember in recent years, that Prince has brought back the Graphite IIMP, the Synergy DB26, and the CTS Approach 90 in bargain bin runs...i.e. like Head has done with the original Agassi Radical and the PT280.

I desperately would want some of the old CTS rackets back, particularly the CTS Precision 90 since it was the most control oriented. Never tried it, but wish I had. The CTS Graduate 90 was insanely good...such an amazingly soft feel, and incredible spin, and the head size was just right with just enough pop. I too prefer this over the POG Mid...by a mile.

I understand, however, that the Graduate and Precision weren't too popular. So how about a CTS Lightning 90 or CTS Approach 90, since those two WERE popular?

You could even rename them, the Prince CTS Retro or something like that, and paint them all white or black or blue or red or whatever color you want.

!Tym
07-05-2004, 12:04 PM
And the thing is, the proof is in the pudding. These racket ARE desired, even still. Whenever of these old CTS rackets go up for sale on ****, they generate more heat and bids than most new rackets...no matter how beat-up, and they usually are BEAT-UP!

The problem is finding not just one, but multiple frames of the same model in the same grip size. Havn't been able to find this combination yet. Most of the time, these old CTS rackets are sold just one at a time as cast-offs.

Man, we serious players need at least three of them, however, because of their open string patterns.

I'd be willing to pay as much $100 for reintroduced TW run Prince CTS 90 Precision, Lightning, Graduate, or Approach rackets.

As we've all seen, the mid-size heads are making a comeback in a big way lately.

K. Wilson Moose
07-05-2004, 12:22 PM
!Tym,

I think that is an excellent idea. I would be interested, what say you TW?

Swan Song
07-05-2004, 01:26 PM
BTW, who used the CTS series on the tour besides Moya, Capriati, and Luke Jensen?

FYI: The cool thing about them is that they have the liquid crystal polymer to dampen it, and I really love it.

!Tym
07-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I loved the feel of the liquid crystal polymer in the composition, I really did think it worked. The DB26 was an alarmingly smooth feeling racket. Too bad they never came up with a 90sq., 14x18 version of it...or better yet, a slightly thinner version of it in that head size, like a DB24 Mid.

K. Wilson Moose
07-05-2004, 02:07 PM
I currently play with the CTS Synergy DB 24 MP, sweet racquet! I have 2 in great shape, but at some point I will have to move on :( .

!Tym
07-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Btw, of these frames, the CTS Lightning 90, the classic Capriati racket, would be the biggest seller followed by the CTS Approach 90...but my heart would want the CTS Graduate, as it didn't feel as stiff as either. The CTS Response had better feel than the Lightning I thought, felt more flexy, and had nicer candy apple red cosmetics, still one of my favorite racket cosmetics ever. The CTS Response, however, didn't come in a 90 head size, however...too bad, because it would have ROCKED.

The DB26 is a SUPERIOR racket by far to any of the DB frames that followed it. It had a better feel than the Lightning before it, and a WAY better feel than any other DB offering since. The only real difference from the Lightning was the introduction of Liquid Crystal Polymer into the mold's construction.

!Tym
07-05-2004, 02:15 PM
The DB26 was also far more solid and substantial feeling than any of its sorry reincarnations...even the Precision Response felt flimsy to me. The Warrior like a cardboard cut-out toy. The Ti Precision Response like an imprecise and muted mutant plank that never felt like an extension of your arm, just vaguely distant and disgusting.

Sorry, but I havn't been a fan of Prince's offerings since the old days.

joe sch
07-05-2004, 02:43 PM
No one has mentioned the Blast and I thought it maybe the best of the series with the 24 beam width and tapered throat beam. I really enjoyed playing that racket for a few years.

dje31
07-05-2004, 02:52 PM
I distinctly remember seeing pictures of Mats Wilander using a CTS Graduate 90 after he left Rossignol...or at least a Graduate paint job. It stands out in my mind because I switched from the F-250 Graphite---admittedly not MW's F-200 Carbon, but still an inverted-bridge Rossi---to the Graduate 90...odd, because my game was/is nothing like Wilander's.

thomas martinez
07-05-2004, 05:41 PM
The CTS Blast was by the way 26 mm at the tip of the frame. Mats did use the CTS Graduate 90 as did Pernfors when he left Snauwaert for a bit. The Rossi FT 6.60 was in terms of flex loosely and I do mean loosely based aruond the Grad 90 Mats was playing with prior to resigning up with Rossi.

BDAZ
07-06-2004, 03:27 AM
Was the Graphtec DB a CTS? I remember it was black or some combo of black and a dark goldish brown. Now that I think of it, maybe it had a straight beam. Anyhow, a racquet from that time period, and a sweet one at that.

crosscourt
07-06-2004, 05:33 AM
I'd buy a Graduate 90 if there was a new run. And dje 31 is right, Mats did use one. I have one of them. Great racket.

tennisnj
07-06-2004, 09:57 AM
Prince Synergy DB 26 OS
What a racquet!
Won me a few tournaments in college.

Ben42
07-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Let's not forget the CTS Storm. Not quite the powehouse the Thunderstick was, but at 32mm at the tip I could serve like hell with it.

kooyah
07-06-2004, 01:56 PM
I'd jump on the chance to buy a new set of Approaches and know at least one other who probably would, too.

!Tym
07-06-2004, 06:19 PM
ARGHH!!! No response from TW...just kidding, already knew there wouldn't be.

TW would never bring back any of the Prince CTS rackets, already been requested, probably just don't think there'd be enough sales, or that they'd have to market them to sell them.

It's not like with the Prestige Classic, where the racket is "legendary" and has that pro player "mystique" to fuel sales.

Oh well, I wish I could find just one place that still stocked up on some Prince CTS Lightning, Precision, or Gradaute 90s in L2 or less.

90 head size with a 14x18 pattern, and a flexier shaft coupled with a stiffer head, is a recipe for insane spin! Not to mention the precision of a mid size head.

It would be awesome if they could even repaint them in flat retro candy apple red, white, or black.

!Tym
07-06-2004, 06:20 PM
Too bad, because there's no other racket on the market with such an alluring spec sheet of a 14x18 pattern and a 90 head.

hadoken
07-06-2004, 08:22 PM
If you are looking for L2 CTS 90 frames, **** is your friend. You just need to be a little patient, but Lightning and Graduate 90's in good condition do pop up. The CTS 90's are much harder to get than the 110's for sure, but a Graduate or Lightning 90 come to market much more than the Precision or Approach. The Thunderstick 90 shows up regularly. Always wanted to buy one because it must be fun to hit with that crazy racquet.

Gotta just be diligent. I have 4 new Approach 90's bought not too long ago. They are out there.

!Tym
07-06-2004, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I found one CTS Lightning 90 in L2, but only one, the seller said it was the last he had. You can find them occasionally in L3 or higher, but not L2 or smaller.

Smaller grip sizes are always MUCH harder to find.

baseliner
07-07-2004, 03:49 AM
CTS Aproach 90. Broke so many strings , I bought my own machine to string them and save a few bucks. Strung at top of range. A very nice racket. I remember either the Graduate or the lightening was their top selling racket so they stopped making it and brought out something new. I asked the Prince Rep about it and he said it was all about marketing. Bring out new racket and people wil have to have it--even if they were satisfied with their old racket. Said Prince would sell more of the new racket than the old replacement purchases of the graduate (or lightening) A said lesson in economics.

rooski
07-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Let's not forget the CTS Storm. Not quite the powehouse the Thunderstick was, but at 32mm at the tip I could serve like hell with it.

My Mom used this racket for years. I remember playing with one of my buddys one day and broke a string on one of my PS6085's and didn't have another one with me. I borrowed her Storm for 30 minutes and frightened my hitting partner. Wicked power on serves but I'll never forget him S&Ving and me hitting a backhand return so hard cross court that he didn't even see it. It was intoxicating to use for a short period but needless to say....control wasn't high on the list with the Storm. :lol:

!Tym
07-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Haha, the Storm and Thunderstick were two bohemath's, not just wide, stiff, and powerful, but heavy and solid like a TON OF BRICKS. Haha, those two rackets were not my favorite, but they were fun to toy around with now and again. They weren't too nimble or agile though, which was my main BEEF with those two BEEFY rackets.

db24
11-17-2008, 08:55 AM
I currently play with the CTS Synergy DB 24 MP, sweet racquet! I have 2 in great shape, but at some point I will have to move on :( .

Hi
I'm looking for a pair of db24 mids. if your ready to move on let me know maybe we can deal.
Ray rhpr2002@yahoo.com
Tnx

Irvin
11-17-2008, 09:52 AM
I really liked the CTS Approach. My dog chewed it up and by the time I started up playing again, it was discontinued. I could really spin my serve with that racket. Anyone know the specs on that racket. The CTS stood for "Contant Taper System" I believe and the racket was thicker at the tip than the throat.

I'm trying to remember the year--it must have been in the latter half of the 80s, does that sound right? (I took off quite a few years and dabbled just a little at different times so I'm a little fuzzy on the years I actually played.)

You are right on most counts. I can not vouch for the dog. By the way the pattern on that frame was 14x18 with a pattern that open you should get a lot of spin. My son played with those for years. I strung a lot of them over and over and over again.

Irvin

Irvin
11-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Hi
I'm looking for a pair of db24 mids. if your ready to move on let me know maybe we can deal.
Ray rhpr2002@yahoo.com
Tnx

Wow I just noticed that thread is over 4 years old. You think he is still going to have them? LOL

Irvin

heftylefty
11-17-2008, 10:19 AM
CTS Graduate 110 was a great stick. I owned 4 but like a dumby gave them away about 7 years ago. I was younger and fitter and found the Graduate to be great on the serve and and off the ground. I played a more of a serve-volley game the stick was solid.

By far the best stick I have used.