PDA

View Full Version : Another review on the ncode Tour 90

Pyro
07-03-2004, 04:33 PM
I know that there are others who are posting reviews of this racquet, but I thought that more opinions would probalby help people and if you don't want to hear another review, then you don't have to read my post.
Anyway, for the first time, my proshop decided to hold out for a day or two until they would get a large quantity of a new racquet to prevent people from asking them continuously if they had it in stock. In this case, they had about 15 demos of the nCode 90 and about 20 of the nCode 95. Even with this, I picked out one of the last 3 90 inches and I had to get one size smaller (3/8). Anyway, let's get to the review. This was a very very short hitting session, probably around 30 to 45 minutes. It was way too hot to play and I intend to demo it longer at night, and I can hold it for a week (demo strung with sensation 16 at 57 pounds)

Groundstrokes: (Forehand). The racquet felt a lot lighter and felt like it had a lower swingweight than the original tour 90. Despite the differences, I absolutely LOVED this racquet on forehands. It had plenty of topspin (16X19) and if you hit the ball in front of you with a long swing you could just hear the "pop" and see the ball flying. When you hit it well, it felt amazing. It's hard to describe the power level. I felt like the racquet had more power than the tour 90, and control suffered a bit, but not by much. The best thing I liked about forehands on this racquet was the stability. First off, the sweetspot seems a lot more consistent than the Tour 90, but the stability was great. Unless I completely framed the ball, the racquet remained very stable. The best part was when my partner framed the ball with his racquet and it was about to go out but I just stuck my racquet out and the ball bounced off of the strings beautifully and I didn't feel any sort of vibration. 9 out of 10

Backhand: Here's where the racquet can be an opportunity or a problem. BTW, I have a 2h bh. First off, this racquet is one of the best 1h bh racquets I have ever seen. I barely ever practice my 1h bh drive and I could hit the ball pretty well using a 1 handed. The ncode has a lot more power on the backhand side, I noticed it immediately. For me, this was an opportunity because I didn't have much power before. Although, I did find the ball sailing at times with my backhand if I didn't have the right angle. So, if your backhand is a bit underpowered, the racquet will be good, and if you find your backhand lacks control, it would take a while to adjust to this racquet or it can be a problem. As for the slice, it was great. Just like the Tour 90, if you shifted your weight into the ball and took a cut at the ball you could see it slowly slice towards the baseline. 8 out of 10

Volleys: Hands down, better than the original Tour 90. It was way more maneuverable than the Tour 90 and it had more punch to it. It took me a few volleys to get used to because I wasn't used to such punch at the net, but after that it was great. I could do drop volleys, touch volleys, defensive volleys but the best one was the put away volley. It really is the best mix of maneuverability, touch, and putaway power. 10 out of 10

Serves: This racquet feels a lot lighter than the tour 90, so it had a lot more pace on flat bombs. I also found that it had really good spin potential for slice and kick serves. I really enjoyed serving with this racquet and I felt that I was serving a heavier ball. I did feel that consistency, as well as placement, was a bit lacking on this raccquet compared to the tour 90, but I think my that would improve if I spent more time with the racquet. The thing about this racquet is that it is very hefty, yet it swings lighter, so it is very easy to generate spin and pace with it, and that's why I think it is a great serving racquet, although I really did not spend much time serving. 9 out of 10

Serve Return: I enjoyed this racquet a lot on serve returns, but I really did feel like it had a bit too much power. This is very good with block returns as well as chipping and charging, and the maneuverability was great, but I had to adjust my swing a bit. Usually I go for a sort of flat return with a bit of topspin, so with this racquet I started using a more of a whiplike topspin return and it worked a lot better. I think if you are willing to adjust your stroke a bit, you will find good control with it. I felt a lot more confident concerning my backhand side since I usually have week returns with it, but on my forehand side, I felt I had to use extra topspin to control the shot. 8.5 out of 10

Overall: This racquet is a born classic put in some futuristic giftwrap (btw the paintjob is awesome). I really really enjoyed this racquet and depending on how the rest of my demoing process goes with this racquet, I might switch to it from my Tour 90. This racquet is a lot more maneuverable and felt very solid. The only problem I found was sometiems it had a bit too much power, so I would recommend this racquet with a high tension, a control oriented string(luxilon) and maybe some lead tape. Anyway, I will post some new stuff when I play with it again tonight. Hope you enjoyed my review. Overall, 9 out of 10.

Coda
07-03-2004, 05:55 PM
thanks pyro! Can you give any general comparisons to the Tour 90? An earlier review said it wasn't any bigger than a 95 square inch prostaff, could you compare them and post the results? Thanks Pyro.

CliffH
07-03-2004, 06:09 PM
coda: did you mean no smaller than a 95?
My thoughts on the tour ncode is that it is softer and much lighter feeling than the tour90, in a good way.
More forgiving and easy to play with. Much easier to volley with.
Easier to control, much better than other Wilson 95 racquets and not as harsh as the tour90.
I tried the tour90 for a year and gave up. This racquet is sweet.
Not a heavy feeling power racquet, but gets the job done.
Makes my psclassic 6.1 feel like a club.

Coda
07-03-2004, 06:24 PM
yeah, no smaller than a 95square inch wilson frame

Pyro
07-03-2004, 06:44 PM
The frame actually does look bigger than 90 inches, but it has the same oval shape. The tour 95 looks like 100 inches IMO. Alright, I suppose I can compare them.
Groundstrokes: They are both very versatile racquets. I think it will come down to consistency vs power. I found the Tour 90 to be a bit more consistent than the ncode, but it couldn't generate nearly as much power as the ncode, and a few times the ball would sail long, but I think you could adjust to it. Cliff is right, it feels lighter than the tour 90, tour 90 feels like a club compared to it. As for the backhand, it's pretty much the same thing, but I liked the ncode better, especially for 1hbh. Most ppl with 1hbh don't have as much power as 2hbh, but this racquet really compensates for that and allows you to get a good amount of power with good form. I also like ncode better for 2hbh, but you have to add extra topspin to make sure the ball stays in. Groundstrokes:consistency:t90, power:ncode

Volleys: No contest, ncode. Ncode is far more maneuverable, and has the same versatility in volleys at the Tour90. No matter how skilled you are, more manueverability is always better than less at net, so volleys:ncode

Serves: The only general statements I could make is that the Tour 90 probably has a little better placement and consistency while the ncode has more power and more spin, so it's a tossup.

Returns: Once again, ncode is far more manueverable and doesn't have the sluggish feel of the tour90 and it still maintains an equal (or even better) level of stability. returns:ncode

Overall: I would say the ncode is overall a better stick because it is more manueverable, swings easier so it is more comfortable and it feels more solid and smooth(also the sweetspot seems bigger and far more consistent). It seems like power is elevated as well as control Although, Tour90 does offer a bit more consistency. My advice would be to demo it.

Coda
07-03-2004, 07:02 PM
thanks pyro, your comments are much appreciated. Hrm...maybe wilson is emplyoing a new marketing technique with saying the racket has 90 square inches when really it has 95 and saying the 95 has 95 square inches when it has 100...Could be to attract players that only play with smaller frames?

CliffH
07-03-2004, 10:39 PM
I doubt if wilson is that bright :lol: