PDA

View Full Version : Why does Raphael say vamos

Double G
05-27-2006, 04:55 PM
It means in Spanish "we go" so why would he say it? My guess he is going with the fans

malakas
05-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Why do you find it weird?I think it's like in English "Let's go"..

serveitup911
05-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Why do English speakers say "let's go"?

EDIT: Malakas beat me to it.

TokyopunK
05-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Its like saying "C'mon!"
"Let's Go!" its basically the same thing.

erik-the-red
05-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Vamos also means "let's go" or "come on!"

Same thing with allez.

Double G
05-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Not according to freetranslation.com, someone give me a frickin better translation link

vkartikv
05-27-2006, 05:09 PM
He does it just to irritate people who already don't like him

Count Grishnackh
05-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Better yet, why can't people say his name right? proper pronunciation Rafa-el Nah-doll. Not Rafiel Naydal. I've only heard Americans do this wrong. I remember when Marat first came on the scene, some Americans called him Marat Sayfin, not Sah-fin. Another one was Roger Ferrero, that was too funny, some people just can't pronounce names to save their lives.

Grimjack
05-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Because the media won't make as big a deal over a lisp in Spanish.

If he were out there yelling "let'th go!" just imagine the tabloid chaos.

Rob the Tennis Player
05-27-2006, 05:50 PM
freetranslation isnt accurate.. it doesnt account for the slang that is sometimes used. I'm hispanic, and i know spanish. Vamos is come on or lets go. If you wanted to go somewhere, you would say vamos!

tonysk83
05-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Yeah, translators rarely work, they don't account for a lot of things, they just find the words in the dictionary and put them in.

arosen
05-27-2006, 06:31 PM
He says it to annoy the living daylights out of Federer, and to top it off he imagines Fed's butt in front of him and then he does the kick. Worked really well so far.

wyutani
05-27-2006, 06:31 PM
psychological warefare mate'...

dh003i
05-27-2006, 06:33 PM
the media also constnatly mis-pronounces Sharapova's name.

People pronounce it Shara-pova, when it should be Sharap-ova.

michaellashan
05-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Nadal isn't the first player to say "Vamos" in sport. For example, when I was playing college tennis ('92) we had players saying Vamos all of the time. Spanish speaking players saying "Vamos" was common way before Nadal.

And Americans slaughtering foreign vernacular is nothing new either. Haha.

:p

malakas
05-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Yes,for example Baghdatis' name really is Pag-datis.And the g is pronounced like the ..french "r" as in "pour"..But it's very difficult to transfer foreign names in another language.There are so many words in any language that come from the paraphrasation(?)-wrong transfer of foreign words.

BERDI4
05-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Same with Cañas. It's pronounced Canias and not Canas.
Or Nalbandian, it's with tha accent in the last "a" (it'a armenian). That would be Nalbandián and not Nalbándian.

LN_Dad
05-27-2006, 08:44 PM
Vamos is similar to a french guy saying "Allez!" He's just pumping himself up. Why is that hard to understand?

HollerOne5
05-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Vamos is similar to a french guy saying "Allez!" He's just pumping himself up. Why is that hard to understand?

In Latin based languages, even like English, but notably like Spanish and French, you have verbs conjugated differently for each subject (me, you, we, them, etc). Vamos, or Vamonos (or is it Vaminos, I can't remember the spelling) is the form for "we go" but its also used as a command for "Go!" when you are speaking about a group of people, including you, meaning "us." Not too hard. It is like slang, but in French for example, "Allez" is the conjugation for "Vous" or You (plural) for you all go. But it is also used as a command for "Let's Go"

Sorry, I probably just confused you more, but its just slangs and commands.

Andres
05-27-2006, 11:11 PM
"Vamos" means both, "Let's go", or Come on!
I yell some "Vamos" per match... It's my "c'mon" :D

Take it from an insider. I know our language :)

slack hack
05-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Le'ts go ! in French is actually Allons ! but it just doesn't sound as cool I guess.

RiosTheGenius
05-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Nadal isn't the first player to say "Vamos" in sport. For example, when I was playing college tennis ('92) we had players saying Vamos all of the time. Spanish speaking players saying "Vamos" was common way before Nadal.

And Americans slaughtering foreign vernacular is nothing new either. Haha.

:p
we all ( spanish speakers) say vamos to pump ourselves or somebody else up. when did this become a Nadal thing??????. it is a very common expression, it isn't a tennis thing.. it's like saying c'mon.

Frenchie
05-28-2006, 12:08 AM
Because the media won't make as big a deal over a lisp in Spanish.

If he were out there yelling "let'th go!" just imagine the tabloid chaos.
hahahahahahahahaha <pause for breath> hahahahahahahahaha

wyutani
05-28-2006, 12:17 AM
this is what i normally shout;

VIEJO Y PELUDOOOO!!!

BURNING! C'MON BABY! GREATOR~~!!

slice bh compliment
05-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Better yet, why can't people say his name right? proper pronunciation Rafa-el Nah-doll. Not Rafiel Naydal.

Really? It's actually "Rafa-EL Nah-DOLL"?
Wow, thanks, I always thought it was pronounced TOP-spin-MUN-kee.
I learn something new everyday!

Seriously, though, I'm with you. We Americans butcher Rafael like we pronounce Israel. "IZ-ree-ell" instead of "Is-Ra-el".

Now there's no excuse for NAY-Dal or SAFE-in. Though it may take some Bud Collins DNA for an American to break down and say 'Nah-THALL' or 'SAfyinn'.

Andres
05-29-2006, 12:01 PM
It's more like Ra-Fa (as in fa*g)-El (as in Elvin).. Nah-Dal ... not quite Doll... it's more like DahL .

Andres
05-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Ahhh, I rock :cool: :mrgreen:

MMkay5
05-29-2006, 12:37 PM
doesnt vamos mean lets go in the nosotros (we) form... shouldnt it be va (the el form for he) or voy (yo form for I)

just a thought... or does he want everyone to go with him

Andres
05-29-2006, 12:40 PM
It means 'let's go', it's true, but it also means 'Come on', and that's the use he's given to the word ;)

Golden Retriever
05-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Because "vamos" and "bravo" sound so much cooler than "cmon", "lets go","yippie" etc.

wyutani
05-29-2006, 09:25 PM
change "vamos" to "BURNING!", now that is irritating mate'...:mrgreen:

Andres
05-29-2006, 09:29 PM
change "vamos" to "BURNING!", now that is irritating mate'...:mrgreen:
You should spend less time watching cartoons, and posting in boards, and more time playing tennis.
That way, you'll improve faster...

;)

malakas
05-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Oh,since I am a beginner :( I think I will stick to using it outside of tennis courts ;) He,he :mrgreen:

RiosTheGenius
05-29-2006, 10:04 PM
" VAAAMOSSSS CARAJOOO!!! "
But the point must be REALLLY GOOOD, like a forehand rip to win the match... If it's not, just "vamos" will work out fine ;)
good point trasandino, that's something I'd shout when I win a set or hit a really big winner. Vamos concha de la lora!!

diegaa
05-30-2006, 02:49 AM
Also it feels kinda nice shouting: "tomáaaaa, la reputa que te parió". no? :mrgreen:

pound cat
05-30-2006, 04:21 AM
same reason a Russian might say Davai! which translates closer as "give it"

johnkidd
05-30-2006, 07:21 AM
When I coached high school tennis (10 years ago...time flies) we had an exchange student from South America (Colombia iirc) who would say "Vamos ci" when he won a tough or big point.

Andres
05-30-2006, 07:38 AM
Also it feels kinda nice shouting: "tomáaaaa, la reputa que te parió". no? :mrgreen:
"Tomáaaaa ponja del ortoooooo, que te la den por el ortoooooo""
"Jonconguéssssss!!!!!"

:mrgreen:

diegaa
05-30-2006, 08:15 AM
"Tomáaaaa ponja del ortoooooo, que te la den por el ortoooooo""
"Jonconguéssssss!!!!!"

:mrgreen:

como te gustaria baglear al ponja y gritarle eso.... a que si? :p

Andres
05-30-2006, 08:24 AM
Baglear? Dejate de joder. :mrgreen:
Si lo tuviese al ponja enfrente, no le juego al tenis, lo muelo a golpes, y lo desintegro... :)

Andres
05-30-2006, 08:27 AM
Y ya que estamos, moverme a la hermana, si tuviese una... :mrgreen:
Enfrente suyo, para que le dé MÁS bronca!!!! :D

ta11geese3
05-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Wow.. this whole time I thought everyone knew what vamos meant.

And yeah, it's so weird when people (especially commentators!) say rafiel instead of rafael. I mean, the a comes before the e! Not to mention the spaniards call him rafA, not rafEE!

Although... how do you pronounce Roland? I only know how spanish pronounciation works... is it land or lahnd?

tennis_nerd22
05-30-2006, 01:45 PM
Vamos also means "let's go" or "come on!"

Same thing with allez.

lol then from now on in my games, ill say ALLEZ when i get a big point :D lol

habib
05-30-2006, 01:56 PM

Actually, it is supposed to be Shara-pova. The accent is on "ra," as in "Sha-RA-pova."

Andres
05-30-2006, 07:45 PM

"Sharap" as in "Shut Up", as in "Please be quiet because your screaming is annoying!!??" :mrgreen:

Dilettante
05-30-2006, 10:36 PM
and there we go again. I ve been living in madrid for 4 years now and i think i never heard it here. But when i go back to my homeland its almost in every corner. So, I think argentina is still part of SA, isnt it?
Also in Uruguay its very common. And even more, its widely used in Mexico (NA). Cant tell you about other countries.

What's your point?

Maybe I didn't express myself well: I said that word is not much used in Spain. And that I know it is more used in S.A. (que la palabra no es de uso común en España, aunque la gente conoce su significado -al menos el significado vulgar-, y sí es usada en hispanoamérica).

I said that, as many other words, it was used in Spain in the XV, XVI, XVII centuries, but it isn't used any more. That's an usual difference between Latin American Spanish and European Spanish. (it happens with many words: "frazada", etc.).

RiosTheGenius
05-30-2006, 10:54 PM
"Sharap" as in "Shut Up", as in "Please be quiet because your screaming is annoying!!??" :mrgreen:
hahahaha :lol: ... yeah as in Shut up

diegaa
05-31-2006, 07:21 AM
What's your point?

Maybe I didn't express myself well: I said that word is not much used in Spain. And that I know it is more used in S.A. (que la palabra no es de uso común en España, aunque la gente conoce su significado -al menos el significado vulgar-, y sí es usada en hispanoamérica).

I said that, as many other words, it was used in Spain in the XV, XVI, XVII centuries, but it isn't used any more. That's an usual difference between Latin American Spanish and European Spanish. (it happens with many words: "frazada", etc.).

My mistake. I misread your post. We r saying the same thing.
Cheers now.

leolo
05-31-2006, 02:55 PM
psychological warefare mate'...

and selfencoraugment mate

leolo
05-31-2006, 02:58 PM
It means in Spanish "we go" so why would he say it? My guess he is going with the fans

Because he was born in Spain

If he would have been Italian he would say vai, vai
If he would have been French he would say alle
If he would have been British he would say come on
If he would have been ... he would say ...