PDA

View Full Version : loopy style, change it?

andyroddick's mojo
05-27-2006, 05:28 PM
I've realized lately that I have been shanking balls quite often, and I think its due to my loopy forehand style. I think that its throwing my timing off, so I can't get a clean hit, do you think its a good idea for me to simplify it? like use less loop, or is there a way to improve my timing without changing my style?

Jon Hampton
05-27-2006, 05:37 PM
I've realized lately that I have been shanking balls quite often, and I think its due to my loopy forehand style. I think that its throwing my timing off, so I can't get a clean hit, do you think its a good idea for me to simplify it? like use less loop, or is there a way to improve my timing without changing my style?

You've got 2 choices.

1. Continue playing with a loopy style, but know when not to take as large a loop. For some people, they tend to shank balls when the ball is weak/short and too much of a loop is made in an attempt to place extra power on the ball. If you really want to continue playing with the loop, practice as much as you can, hitting ball after ball, as this will improve your timing and you'll be less likely to shank.

2. Get rid of the loop and develop a more Agassi-like style. I really think the key to Agassi style is his supreme fitness, so make sure you have enough muscle on you to power the ball with little to no looping motion.

Bungalo Bill
05-28-2006, 11:24 AM

Isn't ***-whuppin's spelled ***-whoopin's????? :) I like your signature though. I should have thought of that one. lol!

Go through the ball!