PDA

View Full Version : critique my 2nd serve (video)

guedoguedo
05-27-2006, 09:21 PM
had some fun today with the digital camera. This is a second serve, just spin. Note that i am a 3.X player and i play doubles against old people, so i dont haev to be that good!!! But give me some tips on my form, toss, whatever thanks :p

http://lucky.phpwebhosting.com/~chkelly/movie_0001.wmv

SocalTennis
05-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Your posture looks very casual and you want to land into the court with your right foot and your serving hand wrap under your body. You would also want to toss a little higher to have more time for preparation (don't toss too high or your serve will suffers).

musicc
05-27-2006, 10:56 PM
little/no leg bend... poor racquet drop... not really accelerating towards the ball. maybe you should get a slice serve for a second, its more "safe" then a flat serve...

guedoguedo
05-27-2006, 11:45 PM
that was a slice serve, you just cant tell from that angle! will work on leg bend and higher toss, tell me about racquet drop...?

takeuchi
05-28-2006, 11:42 AM
You could try these for a better serve too:
keeping your tossing arm up until the last moment (will help get your shoulder line to point up at the ball)
stretching your hip (keeping the tossing arm up and stretched would help facilitate this)
put your shoulders back in the windup (so it stretches your chest muscles)

combine those with a good knee bend and explosion upwards to the ball and i think you would have a great serve

i actually though you had a decent racquet drop for acceleration (but then again i am no coach)

ramseszerg
05-28-2006, 12:52 PM
A racquet drop is when your elbow points toward the sky and your racquet is close to your body and also parallel to it.

guedoguedo
06-17-2006, 02:19 PM
I have made good strides with my serve form I think. Before (as in the video), I isolate my shoulder and put a lot of strain on it. As a result i lose power and can hurt myself, as I did recently....

I now throw the ball forward more, start out lower and get more kneebend, and put my whole body into it. THe result is i hit it harder much easier, not feeling much strain on my shoulder at all. Will get a video soon.

shindemac
06-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Your contact point is a bit low. Your arm is bent at contact. You open up your chest/shoulders too early. Use more knee bend.

guedoguedo
06-18-2006, 07:07 PM
heres my update..toss a little higher, knees more bent

http://lucky.phpwebhosting.com/~chkelly/ckserve.gif

JCo872
06-18-2006, 07:14 PM
heres my update..toss a little higher, knees more bent

http://lucky.phpwebhosting.com/~chkelly/ckserve.gif

Nice.

Try to keep that back foot from coming around and forward into the court too early. I can't tell how your feet
are positioned, but it looks like your positioning is causing your back foot to come around and into the court mid shot.

See how Federer keeps his leg back:

http://www.hi-techtennis.com/serve_index.cfm

You're getting it though!

MoneyBall
06-19-2006, 12:22 AM
[QUOTE=JCo872]
Try to keep that back foot from coming around and forward into the court too early. QUOTE]

I argee completely! It's important that you think of balance. From the 4 sec clip, it desn't seem like you have balance. It looks like you are jumping 1st than you are hitting the ball on the way down. The pros jump, because they are hitting up at the ball. You are not there yet, so I suggest you work on balance first. This is how you do it: Swing through without jumping and try to minimize rotating. Keep your legs loose. Keep your non dominant foot on the ground to establish balance. Try to keep a solid foundation at all time even after you hit the ball. You should be able to crack the ball in the service box at least 90 percent of the time. This is what my coach has thought me and my game has escalated eversince. Sometimes I serve like this for my second serve during matches to save energy. When you get the hang of it, it becomes really reliable and you'll be surprise at the pace you can get. As a matter of fact this is how I practice serving. I save my big first serves for the match.

MoneyBall
06-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Once you get this down (both spin and location), you can go ahead and rip the ball. Trust me, you'll hit up at the ball and maybe go airborne a little bit like the pros do.

I have only been playing tennis for two years and my serve is my biggest weapon and that was how I developed it. Right now, I really have only two serves: a flat first serve and a kick second serve to the opponent's backhand. One-third of the time I use my kick as a first serve just to throw my opponent off a little.

MoneyBall
06-19-2006, 12:51 AM
I am not dismissing everyone's suggestions. I think they are all correct but balance is fundamental. Keeping balance is not easy..your toss must be perfect, your backswing and follow through, including the non-dominant arm must be also be fluid.

Once you get this down, everything that everyone has suggested will become natural.

Duzza
06-19-2006, 05:57 AM
The 2nd video is MUCH IMPROVEMENT. much respect. But still try not to "turn" your body that quickly after you've hit the ball. Follow through more, or try running to the net, the feet landing looks weird.

Rickson
06-19-2006, 07:29 AM
had some fun today with the digital camera. This is a second serve, just spin. Note that i am a 3.X player and i play doubles against old people, so i dont haev to be that good!!! But give me some tips on my form, toss, whatever thanks :p

http://lucky.phpwebhosting.com/~chkelly/movie_0001.wmv
You're using your right leg as a pogo stick instead of effectively jumping off of 2 feet. You could use some more back bend, keep your tossing arm up a little longer, and look up at the ball a little longer.