PDA

View Full Version : How do you hit a ball that comes in too close to you?

unsung
05-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Hi all. As you guys know, I'm a beginner. I'm getting better at hitting forehands & backhands when they are fed to me by a pro (i.e. consistent position/bounce height).

But I find that if I'm hitting against another person, the balls 1) bounce much higher, and 2) always seem to come in too close to my body. So I can't hit the ball the way I've practiced the stroke.

I know the solution (or one solution) is just to position myself better to take the ball as it's coming down a bit and also move myself further away from the ball. But, even though I try to do this, the ball still often comes at me too close, and my arm is at a really awkward position. It doesn't help that I use a closed stance & try to "step into" the ball.

Any tips

theartoftennis
05-27-2006, 09:53 PM
In practice, you're very relaxed. Although you're not RUNNING when you play tennis, imagine like you're JOGGING in practice. When you're playing against someone you're JOGGING as well. Turn that JOGGING into a SPRINT.

Sorry if that sounds a little weird. What I meant to say is MOVE YOUR FEET. It takes alot out of you, but soon it becomes second nature. Remember to ALWAYS move those feet, and get in position as early as possible. When you're in position, remember to KEEP moving your feet. Don't plant them and reach for the ball, keep adjusting them until the ball is in your hitting zone.

snoflewis
05-27-2006, 10:21 PM
if it's too close to you...step away from it or around it. you will find that when you start hitting w/ people your level, they will hit softer and a lot higher. when they do this don't try to kill the ball but try to just keep the ball in and develop consistency

Rickson
05-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Hi all. As you guys know, I'm a beginner. I'm getting better at hitting forehands & backhands when they are fed to me by a pro (i.e. consistent position/bounce height).

But I find that if I'm hitting against another person, the balls 1) bounce much higher, and 2) always seem to come in too close to my body. So I can't hit the ball the way I've practiced the stroke.

I know the solution (or one solution) is just to position myself better to take the ball as it's coming down a bit and also move myself further away from the ball. But, even though I try to do this, the ball still often comes at me too close, and my arm is at a really awkward position. It doesn't help that I use a closed stance & try to "step into" the ball.

Any tips
Slice the ball if you get jammed and if you get jammed often, you're either standing too close on groundstrokes or you're footwork isn't good.