PDA

View Full Version : Ashaway Monogut

TheBigToasty
07-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Any feedback on the Ashaway Monogut string? I heard it was similiar to the ALU Big Banger strings, but is way less expensive. I'm wondering if the Monogut 17 gauge would be a good fit in an 18x20 string setup. Is it still necessary to get a durable-suited string in dense racket stringing if you're a heavy topspin baseliner and if I went with a string like the Lux TiMO 17 (more expensive) would that last me a LONG time (without sacrificing "bite"/control) and therefore be a better choice in the long run? By the way, this is for a first time string setup for a Head LM Radical MP.

TheBigToasty
07-03-2004, 05:20 PM
And yes, I did break down and choose the Radical over the Prestige. Going from an 8 point head heavy OS Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 (with lead tape at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock) to an 8 point head LIGHT Prestige would be no easy task. The head size, length, swingweight, string pattern, string tension, power level, swing speed... physical design, were all dead even. At the end I went by the head weight, racquet weight, feedback, and availability of the product. I would have GLADLY demoed both of them but I have neither the time (I need the racquet soon to start practicing for a tournament) nor the.. well basically just the time factor. It was a toss-up, and hopefully it turns out ok.

bsandy
07-03-2004, 05:33 PM
It's . . . It's okay !!! Most of the people that use the LM Prestige, should be using a Rad. I had a LM Rad OS, last year, and totaly didn't like the feel.

OBTW . . . I love MonoGut, and use it to cross my Natural Gut. There are a lot of claims about it's bad durability, but some of them don't make sense.

It's cheap to try !!! If you don't like it you're out a whole 4 bucks !!! MOst (except the ALU zealots) like it alot !!!

Make sure you go down a whole 10%. 15% will be better !!!

. . . Bud