PDA

View Full Version : handling a hard hitter

silent_death
05-27-2006, 11:53 PM
lets say this guy has a similar game as compared to me. big serve hard groundies... should i play along with him or slow down the pace of the game and how???help!!!playing him tonight!

snoflewis
05-28-2006, 12:05 AM
lets say this guy has a similar game as compared to me. big serve hard groundies... should i play along with him or slow down the pace of the game and how???help!!!playing him tonight!

if you feel comfortable w/ the pace..i'd say go w/ it. if you don't feel comfortable, try to mix in some slices and some lobs to change up the pace a little. how is the guy's footwork and speed?

retroceso
05-28-2006, 12:06 AM
if he's an aggresive baseline person slice and make him run up and if theres a chance lob it ovetr him or just hit it fast at him or seomthing. he can't keep it up if you keep making him run

wyutani
05-28-2006, 12:06 AM

ok, if i was you, i wouldn't play along wif him. i would normally dink, slice, lob, or moonball. that's what i would normally do.

retroceso
05-28-2006, 12:10 AM
whats a moonball? also how do you get that signature on the bottom of your post?

wyutani
05-28-2006, 12:14 AM
whats a moonball? also how do you get that signature on the bottom of your post?

moonball is a high lob, makes the baseline avoid comng to the net. signatures comes after you get like 50 posts...or 100, i forgot mate'...

retroceso
05-28-2006, 12:17 AM
no problem mate, im left handed too and a net rusher, but not lately cause i lost all my confidence at the net

MTChong
05-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Lots of hard hitters also find their pace from you so try giving a floating slice to the back to see if he can hit an agressive shot off of that.

nViATi
05-28-2006, 12:45 AM
Test out their backhand!

Freedom
05-28-2006, 12:54 AM
Take him off his game. I played a kid who loved pace. So I counterpunched, and gave him a lot of high, loopy topspin, as well as slice. Threw him off his game. Eventually, he adjusted and I became exhausted, but the point is, you have to make him play your game.

Woodstock_Tennis
05-28-2006, 12:58 AM
Just mix it up.

Captain America
05-28-2006, 07:06 AM
Loopy topsin mixed in with low angle slices will work - the key is to keep him from getting in a rythym.....

looseswing
05-28-2006, 07:06 AM
Well another question is are you a better hard hitter than him. Can you out hit this guy? If the answer is yes then you do not have a problem, but if you cannot then you should try the change of pace stuff.

smoothtennis
05-11-2007, 06:27 AM
Loopy topsin mixed in with low angle slices will work - the key is to keep him from getting in a rythym.....

Bingo! He CANNOT hit big consitently if he is having to run a lot. You want to take away his base of power, which is the GROUND. If he is just a tad late to a shot, he can't blast it. Soft chips....deep drives...mix it up, and move him move.

smoothtennis
05-11-2007, 06:28 AM
LOL, what a complete dork...I just realized how old this post was, hehehe!!! Sorry guys...

zapvor
05-11-2007, 06:29 AM
i thnk that match happened may of last year, but good reply! heh

edit: and you beat me to the realization lol

SFtennisGG
05-12-2007, 04:35 AM
Take him off his game. I played a kid who loved pace. So I counterpunched, and gave him a lot of high, loopy topspin, as well as slice. Threw him off his game. Eventually, he adjusted and I became exhausted, but the point is, you have to make him play your game.

:grin: been there

ssjkyle31
05-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Return his shots HEAVIER AND FASTER :)

Mick
05-12-2007, 02:20 PM

i say play along with him and may the harder hitter win :)

Mark Vessels
05-12-2007, 07:25 PM

Counterpunch and block

Bagumbawalla
05-12-2007, 09:17 PM
I would start out playing percentage tennis, matching him as far as pace, moving him about, but not trying anything flamboyant overly agressive until you get a weak return or find him in an awkward position-- then go for a plaement.

While playing in this pretty straightforward style, I would throw in different shots, sort of testing the water, to see how he reacts to dropshots, slice to the backhand, changes in pace, heavy topspin, balls with no pace, changing direction, and so forth.

Make a mental note of weaknesses in his game and attack them whenever you can.

If at all possible do not give an opponent what they want, and don't let then get grooved in by hitting the same shots/patterns too often.

Good luck,

B