PDA

View Full Version : Dent

goblake14
05-28-2006, 06:14 AM
I was watching Dent against Neminen and was wodering, how does he win any matches? His backhand is rediculously weak, and his forehand is nothing special. Plus, he sweats an ocean every time he plays. What's up with him?

naturalgut
05-28-2006, 06:37 AM
His serve is massive, (clocked at 151mph) and he has some incredible touch on volleys.

Rabbit
05-28-2006, 07:05 AM
Why do you say Dent's ground strokes aren't very good? I think his sliced backhand is very reliable and he can come over it as well. His forehand, while not a killer, is good enough to hit winners.

In short, his game is very foreign to the current crop of pros. His balls stay low and away from them on the baseline which helps him get into net. I wish he could stay healthy enough, or become dedicated enough to actually threaten at some Grand Slams. Dent would make tennis fun to watch again.

Golden Retriever
05-28-2006, 08:04 AM
Can you say right-handed Rusedski?

Max G.
05-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Can you say right-handed Rusedski?

Sort of, but their ground game is somewhat different. Dent's is better. Rusedski, however, has a better serve - it's not faster, but it has better placement.

!Tym
05-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Sort of, but their ground game is somewhat different. Dent's is better. Rusedski, however, has a better serve - it's not faster, but it has better placement.

Actually, I think it's more a case of Dent's serve being a lot more unreliable. Dent gets fatigued very easily, and his serve expends more energy than Rusedski's. In short, he can get sloppy with it, his service level drops once he gets tired. Rusedski's serve is much more reliable match-in, match-out, and through the duration of a match in my opinion. He's also in better shape than Dent. Dent actually has a pretty massive forehand when he decides to rip it, the problem is that he has a tendency to spray balls. In general though, Dent's not the most fluid or natural looking player out there, he just has a gawky build and look to him and his strokes bear that out, doesn't mean they're not very effective when on. When he's on, and this is the BIG if, if his body actually holds up and his fitness doen't fail him; he can and does and is capable of taking out big names. He's basically an elite caliber player at his best, but he's rarely able to sustain that level. To me, he's the Fernando Gonzales version of net rushers/all-courters, only much more injured and less dedicated to his conditioning/waist line than Gonzales.

looseswing
05-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Although Dent may not have a stellar baseline game his forehand is not horrible, and he can slice well enough to be able to approach well. Plus, his volleys and serve are both good.

Golden Retriever
05-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Actually, I think it's more a case of Dent's serve being a lot more unreliable. Dent gets fatigued very easily, and his serve expends more energy than Rusedski's. In short, he can get sloppy with it, his service level drops once he gets tired. Rusedski's serve is much more reliable match-in, match-out, and through the duration of a match in my opinion. He's also in better shape than Dent. Dent actually has a pretty massive forehand when he decides to rip it, the problem is that he has a tendency to spray balls. In general though, Dent's not the most fluid or natural looking player out there, he just has a gawky build and look to him and his strokes bear that out, doesn't mean they're not very effective when on. When he's on, and this is the BIG if, if his body actually holds up and his fitness doen't fail him; he can and does and is capable of taking out big names. He's basically an elite caliber player at his best, but he's rarely able to sustain that level. To me, he's the Fernando Gonzales version of net rushers/all-courters, only much more injured and less dedicated to his conditioning/waist line than Gonzales.

Thank God, the old !Tym is back with his insightful essays. !Tym, I think someone has been stealing your ID to post some uncharacteristic oneliners.

sureshs
05-28-2006, 09:50 AM
I don't think his BH is weak. He has a good slice and even drive or topspin. t is not the best but it is adequate for his S&V game.