PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi tennis players killed for wearing shorts?

Ronaldo
05-28-2006, 06:04 AM
http://www.newsvantage.com/perl/p/wed/dp/Ayb93667252.RB_N_GAR.html?day=Sun&ycg&g=news.front_page

Warriorroger
05-28-2006, 06:20 AM
Saw it on the news yesterday, tragic.

breakfast_of_champions
05-28-2006, 08:18 AM
what a place to invest a trillion dollars of taxpayer money.

The_Dark_Knight
05-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Don't bring shorts to a gun fight

HookEmJeff
05-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Jesus Christ, it's like 10,000 degrees in the desert and they want their players to play in what....longsleeves and pants? Do they do the same for their soccer team, or for camel racing?

Get with the program people. This is the modern age. What a tragedy over something so miniscule.

Jeff

Golden Retriever
05-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Jesus Christ, it's like 10,000 degrees in the desert and they want their players to play in what....longsleeves and pants? Do they do the same for their soccer team, or for camel racing?

Get with the program people. This is the modern age. What a tragedy over something so miniscule.

Jeff

Do you believe everything you see on the media? I am not taking sides but I think the story runs way deeper than whats written on the media.

wyutani
05-28-2006, 11:33 AM
they wanted the van, not the pants...

superman1
05-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Just a bunch of lunatics over there. Completely inhuman. And the US just stirred the pot.

malakas
05-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Superman1 I don't believe that in my country people are more "human" that in Iraq.Or that they are more clever and there are less lunatics here.But there are definitelly more uneducated people which is always everywhere and in every society a fertile soil for extremists.

siber222000
05-28-2006, 11:57 AM
iraq is one screwed up country isn't it

superman1
05-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Superman1 I don't believe that in my country people are more "human" that in Iraq.Or that they are more clever and there are less lunatics here.But there are definitelly more uneducated people which is always everywhere and in every society a fertile soil for extremists.

I think you sort of contradicted yourself there. You don't think that people in your country are more clever, but you think that there are more uneducated people in Iraq?

It's just a screwed up country with a lot of nutjobs. Anyone who would remain living there is either poor, a fool, or a terrorist. These tennis players shouldn't have been there in the first place.

malakas
05-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Superman I think that there is a difference between educated and clever.And I don't know about you but if my country was in a situation like Iraq is I wouldn't leave it.No,I wouldn't leave to go somewhere safer.I would stay there and I would do whatever I could to help it.

TheRed
05-28-2006, 12:05 PM

Actually, most extremists and terrorists are better educated than the masses. Poverty is to be blamed for many things but not atrocities such as this one.

malakas
05-28-2006, 12:08 PM
No TheRed.I disagree with you.I think that maybe the leaders of the terrorists are more educated and even rich but I believe that all these suicide bombers are poor people uneducated who where sadly brainwashed by the leaders.

TheRed
05-28-2006, 12:10 PM
sorry, this is not a matter of agreement. I've researched this.

knasty131
05-28-2006, 12:12 PM
and to think...here in america all we have is kids killing parents because they couldnt get a toy...gosh iraq is such a horrible place

malakas
05-28-2006, 12:13 PM
TheRed,where have you researched it?You mean you have found proof that the majority of the terrorists are well educated?Wow,that would be very interesting.Please can you provide some link or something so I could read it too?Thanx in advance.

tennissavy
05-28-2006, 12:16 PM
This thread should not be in this section.

TheRed
05-28-2006, 12:20 PM
I wrote a paper about the "roots" of terrorism, the "Bush doctrine" and how to solve terrorism and it is very surprising that most terrorists are actually more educated than the population at large. Much has been said about the evils that poverty can produce but in this case it's not really true. The real roots of terrorism unfortunately, are difficult to figure out. Check out this article: Alan B. Krueger and Jitka Maleckova, Education, Poverty and Terrorism: Is There a Causal Connection?, 17 J. Econ. Perspecitives 119 (2003).

malakas
05-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Eh..I don't know where to find because to tell you the truth I really such at computers:( But I will try to find it maybe in a library??Anyway I really find it very difficult to believe that many suicide bombers where actually well educated.When the police caught three years ago the biggest terrorist organisation in my country they were all of them not educated.Only two of the leaders where educated.Funniest thing was that four of the members were kids of a priest!!It was very wierd.:confused:

ATXtennisaddict
05-28-2006, 03:45 PM
i wonder what happens to iraqi soccer players though

wyutani
05-28-2006, 03:54 PM

their van will be stolen...

siber222000
05-28-2006, 04:59 PM
their van will be stolen...
no their van will blow up

pound cat
05-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Eh..I don't know where to find because to tell you the truth I really such at computers:( But I will try to find it maybe in a library??Anyway I really find it very difficult to believe that many suicide bombers where actually well educated.When the police caught three years ago the biggest terrorist organisation in my country they were all of them not educated.Only two of the leaders where educated.Funniest thing was that four of the members were kids of a priest!!It was very wierd.:confused:

"better educated than the general population" I think the general population in the middle eastern has a low level of educaton...seeing as the general populant is trying to eke out a living & can't send his children to school for any length of time, if at all.

So, it must be that the terrorist comes from a wealthier class who has in fact been able to send their child to school. Or his "better education" is "I have grade 5 education and the rest of the folks only went to grade 2"

The really poor and downtrodden can never afford to be terrorists.

malakas
05-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Well..before 3 years a palestinian girl went to our school to talk to us.She was a student in a university and she was visiting our island with a peace group to tell young people of the injustice that her nation had to survive through.And we asked her what abour suicide bombers?You are not saints yourselves are you?And she completely accepted it was wrong and she even made a speech about peace etc.Now,that's what an educated person would do.So,if by education you mean fourth grade or going to the mosque to be brainwashed by some extremists that believe they are the righteous leaders of the people,then I quess that you are right.

pound cat
05-28-2006, 05:22 PM
WHY IS IT THAN A GOOGLE SEARCH PRODUCES only TWO references to this incident...both of them from TALK-TENNIS????

There is NOTHING about this having happened anywhere in google...or google news NADA!

NOTHING on BBC or the Times (London) I challenge anyone to find reference to this on a credible American or British news source.

This thread is entirely without credibility IMO.

Pfffff

malakas
05-28-2006, 05:27 PM
pound cat,go to rant and raves.There is a thread there about the same topic and some posters have provided links to verify the story.

Andres
05-28-2006, 05:29 PM
WHY IS IT THAN A GOOGLE SEARCH PRODUCES only TWO references to this incident...both of them from TALK-TENNIS????

There is NOTHING about this having happened anywhere in google...or google news NADA!

NOTHING on BBC or the Times (London) I challenge anyone to find reference to this on a credible American or British news source.

This thread is entirely without credibility IMO.

Pfffff
Pound, I work on a radio, and they mentioned this very same history on Friday... and believe me, they didn't took it out from TTW ;)

scez
05-28-2006, 05:35 PM

Do they wear the socks over their pants?

doriancito
05-28-2006, 06:01 PM
ATP should do something

TennisDog
05-28-2006, 06:05 PM
They werent tennis players it was soccer. Iraq is a country with many adversarial religions including shiites and muslims. Exposing any part of the body is sinful which is one of many differences between religions.

Ronaldo
05-28-2006, 06:07 PM
This thread should not be in this section.

Was not sure where to post this, Headline news on my homepage.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=101460

malakas
05-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Tennisdog what do you mean any part of the body?Can you be more specific?And is it on the Quaran or is it by tradition? women have to hide their faces and men don't