PDA

View Full Version : hitting deep

looseswing
05-28-2006, 07:55 AM
I have trouble hitting flat balls deep, especially ones that i take off the rise. They usually land in front of the service line, any ideas on how i could fix this?

I use a mild semiwestern grip, almost an eastern.

panic
05-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Use your body weight to get more forward into the ball.

looseswing
05-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Well i try to do that, but even when i have sitters in the middle of the court, if i hit them straight ahead while moving into them they seem to land short, so i usually angle them off, but its harder to do this at the baseline.

Final_Match_Point
05-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Are you getting a good weight transfer? Knees bent? If your using a sw-eastern, after you move into the ball, rotate the shoulders, and make sure you have a good finish

papa
05-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Do you actually mean to imply that you take good swings at the ball and it lands mostly "inside the serviceline"? I think you need a little bit more oomph if thats the problem.

looseswing
05-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Well i do take a good swing but i think that i hit down on it or something becasue it gets decent pace but it does not go very far. It does not land inside the service line either, it lands maybe a foot or two in front of it.

i try to move into the shot when it is in the middle of the court, but otherwise i try to get good knee bend with open stance.

Final_Match_Point
05-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Knees bent with an open stance? I kinda think thats wrong. YOur supposed to bend your knees in a closed(Shoulder to the net) and then Move into the ball, while rotating the shoulders. It should be pretty natural

Rep. Timothy Calhoun
05-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Knees bent with an open stance? I kinda think thats wrong. YOur supposed to bend your knees in a closed(Shoulder to the net) and then Move into the ball, while rotating the shoulders. It should be pretty naturalYou OBVIOUSLY don't know much yourself. You are questioning having a "bent knee" on an "open stance"? Then you say you "KINDA" think it is wrong? YOU are completely "WRONG". ;)

serveitup911
05-28-2006, 05:40 PM
If you think too much about technique, you will probably just freeze. Instead, focus on the net clearance that you need to hit the ball deep. It will probably be more than you think.

looseswing
05-29-2006, 06:57 AM
Well i find it hard to get a lot of net clearance and keep the flat ball in. I will go experiment more with this though.

vinky
05-29-2006, 09:41 PM
I think spin is necessary for any groundstroke. Obviously some shots have more spin than others, but a completely flat ball is low percentage tennis in general. If you're having problems hitting with depth, I think the main issue here is not too much spin, but hitting through the ball enough. Make sure that you're hitting out front of your body, and after contact DON'T wrap the racquet upwards immediate.. EXTEND through the contact point. You'll know if you're hitting through the ball if during the followthrough your upper arm is relatively parallel to the ground, and there's significant space between your body and hand

siber222000
05-29-2006, 09:46 PM
use ur knee (like how spring works), rotate ur body, usage of the shoulder, dont just whack the ball with all the forces, use nice and easy motion (not like robot motion), body weight transfer is also thing i have to mention :)

ucrctennis
05-29-2006, 09:56 PM
aim higher

travlerajm
05-29-2006, 10:24 PM
Try a higher backswing. More elevation in the backswing will give your racquet head more potential energy, which will be converted to kinetic energy by gravity as you swing into the shot. If you take a look at slow motion clips of pros, you'll notice that one thing that almost all of them have in common is a high backswing - with the racquet head at about the same height as the head, or sometimes higher.

papa
05-30-2006, 02:01 PM
aim higher

How true.

Most who hit hard don't have a problem getting/keeping the ball deep - they have a problem keeping the ball in. Thats why topspin is so important in todays game.