PDA

View Full Version : Nadal wants coaching

sureshs
05-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Pretty sure that uncle of his is trying to coach him with some coded phrases or disturb Federer's rhythm by shouting in his ears.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

From Yahoo sports:

Asked whether his uncle and coach, Toni, provides in-match instruction, something Federer charged after losing their Rome Masters final this month, the reigning French Open champion gave the longest and most animated response of his news conference.

"If my uncle didn't receive a warning in Rome, it must be because he was abiding by the rules," Nadal said. "If my uncle was truly giving me coaching tips, he would have gotten a warning. All he was doing was spurring me on, saying, 'Vamos!' (Let's go!) 'Venga!' (Come on!) 'Con fuerza!' (Go for it!)."

Nadal said his uncle does the same sort of thing as "every coach in the world, or at least 90 percent of them," adding that he thinks the rulebook needs updating.

"Explain to me: What kind of rule is this that coaches can't say anything during a match? In what other sport does that happen?" he asked.

"I mean, you are paying your coach and taking him to Australia to have him do this during the matches?"

At that, Nadal rose from his chair to stand with arms crossed and lips sealed, turning his head from side to side like a spectator following the path of a ball back-and-forth over the net.

"That can't be," he said. "These are things that need to change."

vive le beau jeu !
05-28-2006, 10:37 AM
all this seems to confirm that roger was right...

bribeiro
05-28-2006, 11:56 AM
all this seems to confirm that roger was right...

dh003i
05-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Nadal's wrong. We don't want physically talented mental idiots winning in tennis.

arosen
05-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Well, this kind of proves Fed's point, Tony's been talkin'...

malakas
05-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Yes, perhaps it proves that after all Federer was right for accusing uncle Toni.:mad: But personally I think it's better this way.No coaching.If you want to be a champion you must be mental strong as well as physically.I like tennis for that even more.:D It just raises the level of competition.It makes it different from many other sports where usually the coach is the masrtermind behind one athlete's sucess.Better this way,definitely.

superman1
05-28-2006, 12:36 PM
It's got to be annoying when your opponent's coach is constantly cheering him on, while you have the more standard expressionless coach. I think it's okay for the coach to yell out only when the player is down. Like when Safin got destroyed in the first set in the AO final against Hewitt, his coach yelled, "You've got to fight!" And from then on he dominated. But cheering isn't okay for every point. This isn't boxing, contrary to what Nadal believes.

Rataplan
05-28-2006, 02:02 PM
How much more are you guys going to moan about this and what's the point? You've all made up your mind about it.

MOVE ON.

jackson vile
05-28-2006, 02:52 PM
What losers, that is coaching? So every other person can enjoy and say ooo aaaa eeee ect but if the coach shouts yea! that is coaching:confused:

You know Fed shows his real colors here, I like Fed but I don't think so anymore, Ithought he was a man. Turns out he is a whinney Pu$$y, along with many of his fans

Max G.
05-28-2006, 03:09 PM
I certainly don't see anything incriminating there.

I think it's perfectly legal for a coach to cheer on a player, and if it was illegal then Nadal would be right, then the rulebook would needs to be updated.

Coaching, however, is illegal and should not be allowed - coaching meaning strategy tips and the like. "Come on, you can do this, fight" is encouragement, not coaching...

superman1
05-28-2006, 04:02 PM
It's different when the coach starts cheering after every point. 99% of the time they cut to the coach, he'll look deep in thought as if he is analyzing his player's every move. Dean Goldfine actually took notes. Every time they cut to Toni, he is clapping and saying something. Not illegal, just nontraditional and annoying to the other player if he's struggling in a 5 set match.

BTW, I don't know why "Fed fans" have been separated from everyone else. Everyone should be a Fed fan. This is one of the greatest players ever and he gets zero support? I actually have some perspective, because I know in 20 years the name "Federer" will be like "Borg" or "Laver" or "Sampras." And people who didn't like him will think back to him nostalgically and complain about how there is no finesse in the game anymore.

jackson vile
05-28-2006, 07:23 PM
It's different when the coach starts cheering after every point. 99% of the time they cut to the coach, he'll look deep in thought as if he is analyzing his player's every move. Dean Goldfine actually took notes. Every time they cut to Toni, he is clapping and saying something. Not illegal, just nontraditional and annoying to the other player if he's struggling in a 5 set match.

BTW, I don't know why "Fed fans" have been separated from everyone else. Everyone should be a Fed fan. This is one of the greatest players ever and he gets zero support? I actually have some perspective, because I know in 20 years the name "Federer" will be like "Borg" or "Laver" or "Sampras." And people who didn't like him will think back to him nostalgically and complain about how there is no finesse in the game anymore.

But that is no worse than the fans, for instance Baghdatis fans were going drunk'n soccer fan crazy and it was just fine.

And I don't think it is just because it is the coach, I think that it is just because it was Roger and he thinks things should go his way. He didn't win so he is looking for Copouts. There is no honor in that, when Nadal loses or makes a great win he has nothing but good to say and gives that player thair moment and the respect.

sureshs
05-28-2006, 07:36 PM
But that is no worse than the fans, for instance Baghdatis fans were going drunk'n soccer fan crazy and it was just fine.

The coach is much nearer and can get on your nerves.

And I don't think it is just because it is the coach, I think that it is just because it was Roger and he thinks things should go his way. He didn't win so he is looking for Copouts. There is no honor in that, when Nadal loses or makes a great win he has nothing but good to say and gives that player thair moment and the respect.

Agreed. Fed has nothing complimentary to say to Nadal while Nadal is always gracious.

But then, Fed's coach does not flirt with the rules and try to fool the umpire.

jackson vile
05-28-2006, 07:42 PM
The coach is much nearer and can get on your nerves.

And I don't think it is just because it is the coach, I think that it is just because it was Roger and he thinks things should go his way. He didn't win so he is looking for Copouts. There is no honor in that, when Nadal loses or makes a great win he has nothing but good to say and gives that player thair moment and the respect.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Fed has nothing complimentary to say to Nadal while Nadal is always gracious.

But then, Fed's coach does not flirt with the rules and try to fool the umpire.[/QUOTE]

I could understand if the recored was Nadal 1 Fed 5 but it isn't, further more Roger had the opertunity to question the situation, if it was that important then he should have been an adult and done something about it.

It is just like Hatfeild playing agianst Roger and getting all these ridiculous line calls that go his way. And shot spot showed how amazingly out the balls were, yet there is always a bias to the #1 as they want to see him go to the finals and especially not get knocked out by #157.

I did not hear anything about this:confused:

It is in the end up to the umpire to decide and that is the "god" if you will of all rules, what they say goes.

I heard no excuse come from Nadal and other players.

sureshs
05-28-2006, 07:51 PM
It is in the end up to the umpire to decide and that is the "god" if you will of all rules, what they say goes.

The umpire did turn back 3 times during the Rome match (so I have read). Umpire is not god, he can be fooled. Like taking performance drugs and not getting caught. Would you say ATP testers are god and so it is OK to do it if they did not catch it?

jackson vile
05-28-2006, 10:33 PM
The umpire did turn back 3 times during the Rome match (so I have read). Umpire is not god, he can be fooled. Like taking performance drugs and not getting caught. Would you say ATP testers are god and so it is OK to do it if they did not catch it?

Sorry I should say the last word, like I said Fed had a chance to be an adult and go to the mian umpire he did not. That puts him at fault for not reporting a problem.

edberg505
05-28-2006, 10:47 PM

Ok, that's sort of BS. I have seen Nadal throw hissy fits when things weren't going his way. In particular when he was playing Blake in last year's US Open. He goes to the Ump and complains that he always gets bad calls when he plays in the States. What kinda crap is that? I think every player finds something to complain about when stuff isn't going their way. Unless of course your name is Stefan Edberg. I have never seen him complain about much of anything.

ShooterMcMarco
05-28-2006, 10:50 PM
And I don't think it is just because it is the coach, I think that it is just because it was Roger and he thinks things should go his way. He didn't win so he is looking for Copouts

He actually complained about it during the match. It wasn't a copout because he lost, he had a problem with it on court before the match was over.

superman1
05-28-2006, 11:12 PM
When Nadal is older and starts losing matches, you'll see a different side of him. If Mother Teresa was still alive and you put her on a tennis court and made her run around and lose, you'd hear a few complaints and a few muttered curse words from her as well.