PDA

View Full Version : Need help adjusting my stroke

acer
05-28-2006, 10:54 AM
I am about a 4.5 to 5.0 level player and I use a WIlson Prostaff 7.1 Zone. It has real low power and a high flex. I love the racquet as I can generate my own power and I can swing it hard w/o fear of the ball going long. Problem is, I get pretty tired after 2 sets and my shots get weaker. So I am now trying to switch to my Prokennex Ionic 5 (Have some tennis elbow so this racquets alos helps). Problem, every shot goes long. I am adjusting the tension higher (to be honest I haven't tried that yet). The ProKennex has more power but not much so I can't figure out why every shot goes long. I originally posted this link under racquets and got some good feedback that the change will take time to get used to. I just thought I would try the instruction section to see if there any other advice out there.

Thanks

Acer

HappyLefty
05-29-2006, 11:29 AM
I am adjusting the tension higher (to be honest I haven't tried that yet). The ProKennex has more power but not much so I can't figure out why every shot goes long. Thanks

Acer
What string and tension do you use in your current PKi?

jackson vile
05-29-2006, 03:49 PM
I am about a 4.5 to 5.0 level player and I use a WIlson Prostaff 7.1 Zone. It has real low power and a high flex. I love the racquet as I can generate my own power and I can swing it hard w/o fear of the ball going long. Problem is, I get pretty tired after 2 sets and my shots get weaker. So I am now trying to switch to my Prokennex Ionic 5 (Have some tennis elbow so this racquets alos helps). Problem, every shot goes long. I am adjusting the tension higher (to be honest I haven't tried that yet). The ProKennex has more power but not much so I can't figure out why every shot goes long. I originally posted this link under racquets and got some good feedback that the change will take time to get used to. I just thought I would try the instruction section to see if there any other advice out there.

Thanks

Acer

I say go back to your original racket, why would you change if you liked it so much.

Have you tired gut, have you tried a lower tension, have you tried adding lead?

That racket in the end will hit a far heavier ball, and give you much more control not to mention better on the serve.

I would look also to corection stance and movment with the other racket so that you are not so tired, there are so many things you can do to fix the probelm with the good racket.

Why switch over to a lesser stick?

Bungalo Bill
05-29-2006, 03:57 PM

Thanks

Stay with the Prostaff.

If the racquet allows you to take full strokes and it offers you the confidence of putting the ball where you want it to go, stick with it.

A strength issue can be overcome through practice and training. Your endurance will come with the racquet and you will be glad you stuck with it.

I would suggest getting the Power Disc and practice 15 minutes with it during practice to help build up your stamina.

But the racquet is the right racquet for you.

Acer[/quote]

acer
06-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I use Head Rip 16 G string at 54LBS in my Wilson. My Prokennix was also at that tension but I increased it to 58 LBS and it helped. However, I have determined that a low power racquet is for me. The Prokennex was not that much more powerful than the Wilson but the little extra made a difference.

I was swtiching to the Prokennex for a few reasons. One was to get a little help with some tennis elbow, second was to get a little more power when I am tired after a couple sets, the other reason was that I can no longer get grommets for the Prostaff. I know I can use individual replacement grommets. That's what I will do. I also ordered the Hyper Pro Staff 7.1, you can still get grommets for this racquet (they don't work in the original prostaff 7.1).

Thanks everyone for your advice

Acer

GOOOOOGA
06-05-2006, 06:00 PM
I am about a 4.5 to 5.0 level player

Problem is, I get pretty tired after 2 sets and my shots get weaker.

wait for it...

haha, just kidding. I've gotten used to other posters quickly jumping on the original poster for his "alleged NTRP".

by the way, how does the 7.1 play? Some guys I know are switching over to the nCode 95 after having the 7.1 for a while. Do the two racquets play similar?

LuckyR
06-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Sounds like you solved your own problem. One last tidbit, the ProKennex Kenetic 5G has a bit less pop than the Ionic 5, if you need the high arm protection but want to swing away without the ball going out.