PDA

View Full Version : Changing ends in tie-breaker

ATXtennisaddict
05-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Do you change it every 6 points? Or is there a new rule that says, change ends on the first point, then every subsequent 4 pts?

Which is official in ATP? It looks like 6 points is the rule...

nickybol
05-28-2006, 01:19 PM
every 6 points

ATXtennisaddict
05-28-2006, 02:49 PM
what's the Coman tiebreaker (USTA Regulations, I.V.5)

Kabob190
05-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Do you change it every 6 points? Or is there a new rule that says, change ends on the first point, then every subsequent 4 pts?

ive only played where its change every six, never heard of the "new" rule

cak
05-28-2006, 03:18 PM
The Coman tiebreaker is the other one he mentioned, change after the first point, and every 4 points there after. In doubles it means that in the tiebreaker everyone serves on the same side they served in the set. They claim it will be used at USTA nationals in the senior and adult league. Senior players like it a lot, as then they don't have to remember to change at 6, don't have the split side serving, and don't have to adjust to a new side either serving or returning serve from a particular player. Singles players pretty much hate it, as it's a ton of changing sides. I like it because I can add to 6, and even 12, but 18 tends to really challenge me.:-)

Rickson
05-28-2006, 10:35 PM

Every 6 points so if you're at 3-3, you change. The first server only serves for 1 point and that's why you have the next server starting from the ad instead of the usual deuce serve start. Even though the first server only serves for 1 point at the beginning of the TB, he stays on his end until they've reached a cumulative 6 points. The second person to serve will have served once from where he started and the next point on the changed end which is always the deuce side.

ATXtennisaddict
05-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Every 6 points so if you're at 3-3, you change. The first server only serves for 1 point and that's why you have the next server starting from the ad instead of the usual deuce serve start. Even though the first server only serves for 1 point at the beginning of the TB, he stays on his end until they've reached a cumulative 6 points. The second person to serve will have served once from where he started and the next point on the changed end which is always the deuce side.

I know about the 6-point change.

But my opponent yesterday told me about the 4-point one and I told him that in ATP singles matches,they changed every 6 points.

I found out later from my local ladder site about the Coman rule.

Ripper
05-29-2006, 01:18 PM

I understand it like this. However, when doing TBs, always, I end up in discussions with my opponents about how it's supposed to be done. Someone, please, post a link to the rule or, better, to a detailed explanation.

Slazenger
05-29-2006, 02:08 PM

I played a close match with an opponent about a month ago and we had a first set tiebreaker.
He suggested we play the USTA tiebreak format of switch after 1st point and then every 4 points afterwards.
I've never played this format before and I didn't want to do it but he insisted so we did.
I couldn't remember when to change sides and got confused but I won the tiebreak anyway. 7-3.

Kabob190
05-29-2006, 02:56 PM
personally, i like the six point one better