PDA

View Full Version : How to handle topspin balls

njboy
05-28-2006, 04:52 PM
I had headache to handle the topspin balls, which destroy my timming. any suggestions to improve my game?

thanks

vkartikv
05-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Well topspin is an integral part of tennis these days. If you cannot handle it, its a very unfortunate situation. Try to take the ball early. I am not much of a groundstrokes guy but that's the best advice I have gotten and can give. Also, if you have access to a ball machine, try to set it up where you get deep balls with lots of topspin and practice with it. It will atleast give you consistency.

siber222000
05-28-2006, 05:00 PM
my advise is to use semi western =)

pchoi04
05-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Take the ball early and keep on your toes... Some shots can be unpredictable but if you keep your feel moving and you get an unexpected bounce it will be easier to adjust. The key to tennis always starts with your feet. Also you can try anticipating the shots as well.. If you know your opponent hits mass top spin maybe stay farther back and take it when its lower. However that would put you at a disadvantage if your opponent is experienced and is trying to force you back for a winning shot or close in on the net.

But... I think the best way is to take it early to take away the opponents advantage/timing. But I'm not a tennis pro so don't take my word for it this is just based on my experience. I would try taking a couple privates at a local club.

Woodstock_Tennis
05-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Best thing to do is get by the baseline so you you can take it early, if you can't take it on the rise, back behind the baseline and wait till it falls.

wyutani
05-28-2006, 07:36 PM
my bro is an actual expert at fast, heavy topspin. he gives a low ball but when the ball touches the ground, it bounces up like hell...SERIOUS! anyway, one way to stop this is to stick to baseline and qucikly hit the ball once it bounce once. another trick that i do is play net rushing. since top spin are pretty low ball, you just need a good volley placement.

in a worst case scenario, wait for the opponent to make mistake. those ppl with heavy, power topspin tend to make mistake, they may over-hit the ball or the net. in this case play counter-punching mate'...

Andres
05-28-2006, 09:26 PM
in a worst case scenario, wait for the opponent to make mistake. those ppl with heavy, power topspin tend to make mistake, they may over-hit the ball or the net. in this case play counter-punching mate'...
No, they don't, yut. Playing heavy spin allows you to hit with greater net clearance, so heavy topspinners are the ones who DOESN'T over-hit the ball... and even less the net...

snoflewis
05-28-2006, 10:11 PM
No, they don't, yut. Playing heavy spin allows you to hit with greater net clearance, so heavy topspinners are the ones who DOESN'T over-hit the ball... and even less the net...

yeah...it's almost comparable to the pusher strategy...which im sure wyutani is familiar with . if you are a pusher, you hit the ball so high that it creates (obviously) enough clearance over the net and enough angle to land in. when using heavy topspin, the ball floats high over the net and drops down.

porchdoor
05-29-2006, 07:48 AM
what i like to do is catch the ball really quick. then, while they're not noticing, reach into my pocket and drop a new ball. this will able you to hit the return with ease. you have to do it really quickly though, or else they'll see you and think you're really ********.

retroceso
05-29-2006, 09:46 AM
either stand back really far or move up close enought so when it bounces it doenst travel far cause youre there to stop it

anonymous2364
05-29-2006, 04:21 PM
stand back a few feet from the baseline or take the ball on the rise before it has a chance to bounce up..............

The Vitamin L
05-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Wyutani's experience playing against heavy topspin players might pertain to those still learning the western grip. I've seen many who have tried it out and they initially tend to close the racquet face and "wrap" over the ball too quickly in their brushing up motion (common windshield wiper motion) instead of hitting through the ball. This results in the ball sinking down towards the net due to incorrect form.

jackson vile
05-29-2006, 08:25 PM
I agree, you need to make sure you are taking the ball out front. So you need to observe the ball and look to hit sooner out in front of you.

Take a fuller swing and stay relaxed, impart some spin of your own, the racket will need more momentum to deel with the higher inertia of the oponents ball.

BaseLineBash
05-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Take it a little earlier and flatten that baby out.

TriCitiesTennis
11-20-2006, 11:02 PM
I agree with the last post. I am a topspin heavy hitter and the shot that causes me the most problem is the flattened out shot (to my backhand). This forces me to generally give back a weakened BH shot because the amount of time to setup has decreased.

I play a very difficult style of tennis in my area because of my quickness and ability to hit with topspin. Other suggestions when playing a quick player with consistent topspin are to go 2-5 ft behind the baseline and just play topspin tennis back.....keep the ball to the middle of the court and force the opponent to take the angle.

It's boring, but it works. This creation of the angle will allow you to hit the first shot down the line.

A helpful hint, most heavy topspin hitters love the short ball that they can take on their forehand side. STAY AWAY FROM THIS.

darkavgr
11-21-2006, 12:50 AM
1. Contact ball above net height
2. generate high racket head speed
3. slam the ball flat with yr body weight behind ball
4. slam in the direction which gives u highest % of getting in, i.e. cross court

hitting flat makes ball bounce low
heavy top spinners are either semi western or full western grippers who have trouble picking up low bouncing balls ;-)

Punisha
11-21-2006, 02:19 AM
negative @ trouble with low balls... thats when they use a rolled forehand which imparts side spin as well as top spin.

Best advice i can give it to

a) fight fire with fire? generate lots of racquet head speed to control it and hit your own heavy shot back

b) fight fire with water? flatten your shot and counterpunch it to the weaker shot. Flatter shots are faster so less time for them to react so less chance of them getting preperation for another huge topspinner giving you the ability to take control.

c) just spank that... spank it deep

d) moon ball it back... or slice, anythin to keep rally going

e)hit a winner... low % play though

Rafa's best friend
11-21-2006, 02:21 AM
I think all those FED trolls is either afraid or scared of Topspin, that is the only reason why i can think of their fear of RAFA, somekind of subconscious fear, i believe..

Andy270211
11-21-2006, 02:34 AM
Hence the name...

TOPSPINMONKEY.

WOO WOO WOO!