PDA

View Full Version : Bollettieri called in as Williams looks to halt career slump

Bones08
05-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Bollettieri called in as Williams looks to halt career slump
By Nick Harris
Published: 29 May 2006

Serena Williams will this week turn to Nick Bollettieri in an attempt to salvage her ailing career, according to an informed source close to the former world No 1 and seven-times Grand Slam singles champion.

It is understood that the 24-year-old, whose ranking has plummeted to No 108 and who announced on Friday that she will not play at Wimbledon this summer because of a knee injury, will travel to Bollettieri's Florida academy tomorrow to seek advice from the veteran coach.

Williams, the Wimbledon champion of 2002 and 2003, is considering using the academy as an occasional base to put her career back on track. Her father, Richard, also wants her to use Bollettieri's expertise.

Serena regularly visited Bollettieri for intensive one-week build-up sessions ahead of each Grand Slam tournament in her heyday, which included winning all four Grand Slam titles back-to-back in 2002-03.

Bollettieri, an Independent columnist, declined to confirm Williams' plans. "Sorry, but on this one, no comment," he said last night. It is known Bollettieri would be willing and available to help, however. He wrote an open letter to Serena earlier this year offering his guidance to help her save her career.

Williams has played only four matches since last year's US Open and has pulled out of a string of tournaments this year. She had knee surgery in 2003 and has not won a title since the last of her Grand Slams, the 2005 Australian Open.

When she arrived in Melbourne to defend that title in January of this year, she was noticeably overweight and unfit. She lost in the third round. When she subsequently fell outside the world's top 100, many observers felt her competitive career was effectively over before her mid-20s. It seems Bollettieri's could now be her last-chance saloon.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/article621248.ece

raftermania
05-28-2006, 08:36 PM
I think Serena needs to check in with Jenny Craig or a bacon-slicing factory before seeking Nick's help!

sureshs
05-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Should Roddick give it a try too?

superman1
05-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Bollettieri has nothing to offer Roddick that the average person on this board couldn't offer him (hit deeper!). At least Roddick is trying his hardest to win. Serena doesn't even play tennis anymore.

Bones08
05-28-2006, 10:49 PM
I think Serena needs to check in with Jenny Craig or a bacon-slicing factory before seeking Nick's help!

You're a true Rena fan. You just missed out on how much weight she's lost since January. She's really slim down!

nn
05-28-2006, 11:06 PM
photo link to pl

migjam
05-29-2006, 06:00 AM
I think it is a good move for her. At this point, what does she have to lose?

crazylevity
05-29-2006, 06:03 AM
I think it is a good move for her. At this point, what does she have to lose?

weight:mrgreen:

Double G
05-29-2006, 06:17 AM
+
Bollieteri just wants to take the credit for bringing up Serena's game the perfect reason Sampras never joined him

Bones08
05-29-2006, 06:45 AM
When she was 17 she first went there. She won Indian Wells and the U.S. Open that year. She then began to stop playing tournaments the week before every grand slam. Instead she would go to Nick's Academy during that week, she would talk to the kids, and then have her sessions with Nick. Her mom holds the OWL Foundation Charity every year except 05 because they we're injured at thea time. He'a been at every owl foundation she's had, he always donates huge bucks. So the relationship has always been good, the only time there was a rift was when Serena switched from I.M.G to W.M.A.

slice bh compliment
05-29-2006, 07:43 AM
Jolly ol' Saint Nick.
Always looking out for others.
Never, ever, thinking of himself.

armand
05-29-2006, 08:41 AM
Watching the French Open today and they showed Venus on the practicing courts hitting some really ******** looking forehands. If Nick saw it, I hope he mentions it to the Williams camp. It's criminal!

christo
05-29-2006, 09:36 AM
Serena always looks good after Photoshop, same with Oprah and Mariah Carey

chess9
05-29-2006, 11:06 AM
Has anyone seen any recent pics of Serena? I saw the ones posted about a month ago. I hope she's getting fit....

-Robert

Bones08
05-29-2006, 12:28 PM
She's getting fit, and no Serena is not being photoshopped in the new pics of her on the beach and the ones for her charity. Yeah, they look ********, but when Venus forehand is on it's a very good shot.

armand
05-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah, they look ********, but when Venus forehand is on it's a very good shot.Her BH is her stronger side I guess.

Anyway, I saw a bit of her match and her FH looked normal. Perhaps during practice she was using some exagerrated bizarre motion because it would help her in the match in someway.

Bones08
05-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Especially that down the line backhand! But I guess he's talking about how she has the racquet head out, and then pushes forward. Or how she has her hand when she hits it.

downtheline
05-29-2006, 08:56 PM
The Williams sisters don't intimidate players like they used to. It's going to take more than Nick to help her out. It would be a good move to keep her away from distractions. Her backhand needs major surgery. Her athletic ability lets her get away with it. Not very many pros have a low to high back hand- too much muscle recruitment. High low high is the way to go (same shape of swing as the forehand). On the men's side the only player I can think of is Safin that has a low high backhand. I'm sure there are more, I just can't think of them right now.

baseliner
05-30-2006, 04:02 AM
Mechanically, Serena has always been more sound than Venus. The issues are weight and motivation. What can Nick do? As to issue #1 "Eat less, run more." As to issue #2, not much. It all comes from inside. With the nutcake Dad, it is not shocking to see unwise career decisions by the girls. We are all products of our upbringing. For Serena's sake, I hope she makes a legitimate effort to get in shape and compete. One day she will wake up and realize no one cares for her fashion designs or her acting. By then if her tennis is gone, she will be one unhappy adult.

Galactus
05-30-2006, 05:03 AM
Watching the French Open today and they showed Venus on the practicing courts hitting some really ******** looking forehands. If Nick saw it, I hope he mentions it to the Williams camp. It's criminal!
Saw Sharappova doing the samw thing in her first match on Sunday.
Some of the bad shots played in women's tennis these days are just beyond belief. :mad:

Captain America
05-30-2006, 05:34 AM
The SW/Nick B. thing doesn't make sense to me. Since when has Serena's problem been about coaching? When she's (a) fit and (b) committed to tennis (as opposed to her other pursuits), she wins. Simple as that.

Now, if NB is going to play the role of "motivator" I guess that's a different story.....

knasty131
05-30-2006, 06:57 AM
The SW/Nick B. thing doesn't make sense to me. Since when has Serena's problem been about coaching? When she's (a) fit and (b) committed to tennis (as opposed to her other pursuits), she wins. Simple as that.

Now, if NB is going to play the role of "motivator" I guess that's a different story.....

nicely put...read my mind but put it down on paper way better than i could have...kudos

slice bh compliment
05-30-2006, 09:02 AM
...Now, if NB is going to play the role of "motivator" I guess that's a different story.....

Absolutely nailed it.
Nicky B = world class motivator. Makes players think they can do anything.
Seemed to work for a while on 'rena back in '03/
04. She sould have asked him to stick around every now and then.

Roger is Boring
05-30-2006, 05:31 PM
I thought she was more intersted in acting now than playing tennis?
she should not have quit her day job.

arosen
05-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Who knows, maybe she finally realized that she has no talent for anything else other than tennis.