PDA

View Full Version : carry-on rackets

the stud
07-03-2004, 08:54 PM
im going on a united flight and i have always been told to bring the rackets with me. am i allowed to bring my whole 12 pack Head tennis bag or is it too big? if anyone has any advice or information, it would help a lot. thanks.

mr. stevo
07-03-2004, 09:16 PM
i've heard or people putting rackets in lugguages and i've seen some racket bags from departure and arrival at the airport, i think it's a matter of what your airline's limit to lugguage size. They should have specific information reguarding lugguages on the plane ticket or the envelope that it came with if you got one.

mr. stevo
07-03-2004, 09:18 PM
actually now that i think about it i don't think so... after the 911 incident carry on's have been more strict. and i think a tennis racket could possible knock someone out pretty darn good. check with your airliner. =)

!<-_->!
07-03-2004, 09:45 PM
They might also think there's a gun in the bag, depending on how stupid the people checking the bags are. You don't want to be hurled to ground for having tennis racquets. But joke aside, yeah, it's probably going to be hard to carry on your racquets, especially if it's a 12 pack. Those things can get pretty big when filled up completely. Best thing you can do is just call the airlines and ask them. If your lucky they might give you some special sticker that says irregular size or something like that.

the stud
07-04-2004, 11:35 AM
thanks for your help. i did call the airlines and found some info in United's website. they said that the carry-on has to be 9x14x22 or 45 liner inches. doesn't that sound a little small for a carry-on bag? i might be mistaken.. here is the united link.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1032,00.html

mr. stevo
07-04-2004, 01:23 PM
that's not too bad.... sounds about right, it's 15 inches smaller then your real lugguage. so your racket bag doesn't exactly meet the standards...

Craig Clark
07-04-2004, 07:47 PM
I travel frequently and always take a couple of frames along. I usually just put them in my carry-on and then take them out once on board. I've never been stopped or asked to have the racquets place in the plane's cargo hold. Your 12 pack is DEFINITELY too big to qualify as a carry on-it won't fit in the overhead bins. So instead, just put the frames head down inside your carry on bag, and then zip the bag around the throat. CC

Morpheus
07-04-2004, 08:58 PM
The listed size requirements are always smaller than what they allow. I have seen people carrying rackets on board, so obviously they aren't viewed as something someone might wield as a weapon.

With regard to the six pack, not long ago I saw a family in the Detroit airport and the young girl (maybe 12 or 13) was carrying a Babolat 6 pack on her shoulders. (The tag on her bag said Bolleteiri (sp?).)
She must have carried her bag on as a "carry-on."

Worst case is that they make you gate check your racquets and that's not so bad. You pick them up plane side when you land and they don't go through the baggage handling system.

the stud
07-06-2004, 03:01 PM
i asked around and some of my friends said they took their rackets on without any trouble. i hope they do because my tennis coach didnt carry on his rackets and all three of them cracked in half literally. but once again, thanks for your input.

kooyah
07-06-2004, 03:06 PM
I've seen people bring racquet bags on flights, but never a 12 pack. I think that'd be a bit too big.

perfmode
07-06-2004, 04:37 PM
i brought a super six on my AA flights on sunday and they didnt bother me. i just threw it in the overhead.