PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here play with Leather grips only?

Duzza
05-29-2006, 02:42 AM
And if so, do you like it more than having an overgrip? I started playing without an overgrip last week, i noticed a whole different feel in my racquet, but it was pretty harsh on my hands and fingers.

thomas martinez
05-29-2006, 05:14 AM
I'm one of the few freaks who do. Started years ago when playing on indoor har-tru which was kept in poor conditions, so I was constantly getting this nasty dust on my grips, which would tear my hand to hell(I didn't sweat much in those days), so the only solution I could find at that time was Fairways. Worked a treat and since then I've used pretty much nothing but, except for when I played Prestige Tours, since I didn't want to staple on those handles, I went back to the stand by Hi-Tec and for a breif stint Toalson Bio-Logic grips. You shouldn't get a harsher feel with an overgrip on leather as compared to a full leather job. So not sure hat is up there.

Duzza
05-29-2006, 05:38 PM
no, i get a harsher feel without an overgrip BUT it plays a lot better, eg. swingweight

snoflewis
05-29-2006, 05:44 PM
i used to play w/ just a leather grip. i liked it a lot. only downside is that i cant just apply it to any racket w/o altering swingweight and ballance and static weight.

ShcMad
05-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Leather alone feels very nice when you hit the ball on the sweetspot. The response and feedback that leather gives you makes you feel like the racquet is just another part of your body.

When I first installed the Babolat leather grip on my racquet, it would stick to my hand like crazy, even when my hands were sweating. After a couple hours, the tackiness and stickiness went away, and it started getting slippery whenever my hands would sweat. One hot day, I was practicing serves, and bam! The frame flew out of my hand. Since that day, I have always been using overgrips over leather.

blubber
06-04-2006, 08:54 AM
4 questions:

1) How often do you clean your leather grip? Do you take the grip off when you clean it or do you leave it on? What do you use, soap and water?

2) Which leather are you using. I have one racquet with Babolat leather and one with Wilson. I find the Wilson to be thicker and firmer whereas the Babolat is thinner and softer. I think the Wilson might also be better for bevel feel but that's probably because I wrapped and rewrapped the Wilson several times so now its on tightly. I'm not sure which one I like better. I always wanted to try Volkl leather, I heard it pretty good.

3) I haven't tried going with leather without and overgrip yet, but I'm goinig to soon. I read a previous poster say he had slippage problems. So how do you minimize racquet slippage? Has anyone tried etching the leather?

4)Are there any current pros playing with just leather? I know Gasquet used to. You can check out the Getty images page to verify (i don't know how to link to the pics).

thomas martinez
06-04-2006, 09:38 AM
I don't clean it, I use a Head calfskin, and really do not have slippage problems. If I do, it means it's seriously hot and humid and then I'll break down and stick a tourna on there. Gasquet does when it's not terribly humid, and the others who do, I cannot remember their names off the top of my head.

Ronaldo
06-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Have Head, Babolat, and Fairway grips. Prefer Fairway but only have a pr now. May be easier to condition your hands than the grip. May need to build up your callouses, eh?

slice bh compliment
06-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Honey what are you doing in there?

I'm building up my callouses, Momm, Gosh! So I can use freaking leather!

Oh, is that what they're calling it these days?

Saito
06-04-2006, 01:05 PM

^^:lol:

I actually used to play with only leather... then I got a girlfriend and soon realized she didn't like my hands feeling like concrete. So ya, I have to overgrip just so that my hands aren't as rough (yeah, I still have callouses, but it's not as severe as when I play sans overgrip...)

http://images.putfile.com/smilies/006.gif

Ronaldo
06-04-2006, 03:23 PM

Wait till you get callouses on the base of your hand.

slice bh compliment
06-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Wait till you get callouses on the base of your hand.
Dear Ronaldinho,
I was kidding. I've got 'em too.
Been using leather for thirty fricking yeears. And that is counting a two year dalliance with synthetics.
Although, lately during the warm season I use an overgip.
Later,
--BH

Ronaldo
06-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Dear Ronaldinho,
Been using leather for thirty fricking yeears. And that is counting a two year dalliance with synthetics.
Later,
--BH

29 yrs brah, can stick a needle thru em. But its all good

Viper
06-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Which is the best leather grip? I've been wanting to look into one.

Ronaldo
06-07-2006, 06:07 AM
Fairway or Balmforth grips, may need to salvage one from an old bat from the 80s. Found pr on a Max 200G and Ultra FPK, $10 each.

Lakoste
06-07-2006, 08:43 AM
I play straight leather most of the time, fairway on my main, with other kinds of leather on my other racquets. Sometimes I put on tournagrip during hot days in the summer.

Fairway or Balmforth grips, may need to salvage one from an old bat from the 80s. Found pr on a Max 200G and Ultra FPK, $10 each.

You got a Max 200G for $10 bucks and youre bragging about the leather grip on it, shame on you:)

Ronaldo
06-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Lakoste, gave away the Max 200G after removing the grip. Kept the Ultra FPK

max
06-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Leather doesn't work on very hot days, then you stick a tournagrip on't.

AceYouVeryMuch
06-07-2006, 03:44 PM
I dont play with leather grips.

baselinebrawler
06-07-2006, 07:28 PM
I also play with leather grip most of the time. Only because when my tourna runs out I am too lazy to go buy more...:)

Duzza
06-09-2006, 03:08 AM
they're really nice when you put them as ur base grip with an overgrip. Much better feeling than two synthetic

mowcopian
06-27-2006, 01:03 AM
i am going to play with a leather grip underneath a pro overgrip

mowcopian
06-27-2006, 01:04 AM
but no, i dont play just with a leather grip, because with the sweat from my hand i cannot keep my hand in the right place.

rasajadad
06-28-2006, 04:03 AM
I play with leather as my racquets came with them and they fely great. The first couple of times, my hands got roughed up, but after that I got no incremental callouses. I love the feel. As I change grips on groundstrokes, I like the feeling of knowing eactly where the bevels are on the handle.
My hands don't sweat much, but on hot days I sometimes use a "Tacky Towel" which is a wax infused cloth. I wipe the grip and my hand, then no problems with tack. I also use the towel after I clean the grips. (Lexol leather cleaner + water.) I clean every 6 months.
As far as which I use, I still have the originals that came with the racquets (oldest is 18months.) I bought 4 Babolat leather grips off the "popular auction site" for $5 each, but I haven't put any on yet.

Marat Safinator
07-03-2006, 04:56 PM
too slippery

Ronaldo
07-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Can remember some type of leather grip that felt like it was inside out, suede even. Then again we had terrycloth overgrips, just a freakin washcloth, eh?

dannyjjang
07-03-2006, 07:54 PM
Dear Ronaldinho,
Later,
--BH
ummm how old are you guys?

dannyjjang
07-03-2006, 07:54 PM
I play with leather as my racquets came with them and they fely great. The first couple of times, my hands got roughed up, but after that I got no incremental callouses. I love the feel. As I change grips on groundstrokes, I like the feeling of knowing eactly where the bevels are on the handle.
My hands don't sweat much, but on hot days I sometimes use a "Tacky Towel" which is a wax infused cloth. I wipe the grip and my hand, then no problems with tack. I also use the towel after I clean the grips. (Lexol leather cleaner + water.) I clean every 6 months.
As far as which I use, I still have the originals that came with the racquets (oldest is 18months.) I bought 4 Babolat leather grips off the "popular auction site" for $5 each, but I haven't put any on yet.
i just spit on it every 20min

RRR
07-03-2006, 08:20 PM
I like the feel of leather. but i use gorilla gold ( a commercial wax infused cloth) with it.I find babolat grips last longer than calfskin although the head calfskin is softer. I was weaned on head arthur ashe comp rackets with leather grips of the late 70s and I cant get used to the incessant changing of over grips. I mainly use a pc600 with a babolat leather grip.

Jet Rink
07-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Leather all the way baby. Incomparable feel.

Side note (leather related): A while back somebody asked if Dunlop would make the McEnroe Maxply grips available. Please... let it be so. Those are excellent.

Jet

slice bh compliment
07-04-2006, 12:37 AM

ummm, mid to late thirties.

rasajadad
07-04-2006, 01:51 AM

Ronaldo
07-04-2006, 03:19 AM
99, but who's counting? Btw, tackcloths really work well

La Bomba
07-06-2006, 10:29 PM
I just put a brand new leather grip on my prostaff original and holding it the wilson leather is nice and tacky, but that disapears once you put an overgrip on it.

hgb765
07-08-2006, 04:46 PM
i like leather a lot better

int3rsc0p3
07-08-2006, 05:31 PM
have you guys tried putting it on the pd roddick?

mctennis
07-16-2006, 02:35 PM
I get more racquet feedback and feel with just leather grips.

Lloyd Barcenilla
06-29-2007, 04:40 PM
have you guys tried putting it on the pd roddick?

yeh i did tonight, felt nice, except im not sure leather will be too good with sweat when it is introduced on a hot day

TheMurph
06-29-2007, 06:16 PM
I like the feel of leather grips but I cannot play with them because they tear my hand up.

lilxjohnyy
06-29-2007, 06:20 PM
sorry to take the thread but do leather grips weigh more than synthetic grips... cuz im thinking about replacing my grip

Duzza
06-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah Johnny a fair bit. So it will make it heavier and more HL.

ShiroRm
06-29-2007, 11:17 PM
I've just changed my 4-3/8 RDX500s/AG100s with 4-1/2 new models. I use black vantage leather on Rdx and Gamma leather on Ag100. The bigger grip allows me to hold the racquet more firmly and my fingers have enough room on the grip's sides, so that the grip's edges don't cause blisters just under my phalanxes anymore. So if the weather isn't very hot and humid, I like to play without an overgrip

Lloyd Barcenilla
06-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Does leather absorb sweat? I have a babolat one.

i will use it if it does