PDA

View Full Version : How to enter "the clean-hit-state" faster?

Koaske
05-29-2006, 03:11 AM
Everyone who has played tennis for at least some time has probably noticed that on some days you're hitting the ball cleanly after few minutes but on some days it may even take over an hour! Not hitting with a clean contact in matches can easily make you lose games or even sets, depending on how long it takes to get the strokes going.

So, what I'm asking is, what are the most important factors that affect the duration of this state of hitting badly? How can you get the strokes going faster? I know that if you have a match, it's a good idea to hit with a friend before the match to get the strokes going, but what if it's not an option and you still have to ensure that you'll be capable of hitting cleanly early on that day?

andreh
05-29-2006, 03:24 AM
I don't have any good ideas besides a good warm-up. Perhaps, if it's possible, play some mini-tennis inside the service boxes. The slow tempo and short range might promote warmp-up of your hand-eye coordination quicker than if you start hitting from the baseline.

Duzza
05-29-2006, 03:27 AM
yeah, short ball games are good. its pretty much all warming up you're focus.

D-man
05-29-2006, 06:44 AM
There could be many reasons for this I would suppose, from lack of motivation, to being mentally distracted, to lack of sleep. What I try to do is focus and concentrate as well as try to motivate myself to put more effort into it. Another thing that always helps is to slow down... pretend I'm a beginner... just helps to get in that zone again and stop just flailing at the ball.