PDA

View Full Version : What's with the nutty fashion????

dmastous
05-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Last year we saw Hrbaty's peek-a-boo shirt, this year we have Vince Spadea in his 70's retro burnt orange shorts and blinding striped shirt. Then you have the convict shirts some of the ball kids had yesterday.
Has the tennis community lost it's collective sense of style?

Ripper
05-29-2006, 10:12 AM
Last year we saw Hrbaty's peek-a-boo shirt, this year we have Vince Spadea in his 70's retro burnt orange shorts and blinding striped shirt. Then you have the convict shirts some of the ball kids had yesterday.

Do you prefer this? http://www.vincespadea.com/sitebuilder/images/gladiatorvince-320x200.jpg

Edit: Just took a peek in my crystal ball; you should see what they'll be using in 20 years :eek:

dmastous
05-29-2006, 10:40 AM
Do you prefer this? http://www.vincespadea.com/sitebuilder/images/gladiatorvince-320x200.jpg

Edit: Just took a peek in my crystal ball; you should see what they'll be using in 20 years :eek:

I doubt it's well suited for playing tennis, but it's certainly better than what he brought to the French Open to wear.

pound cat
05-30-2006, 03:31 AM
Spadea designed this himself for his line of clothing, complete with the "S" logo. It's not tennis, just bad taste which a lot of the general population has. At least hVince isn't a one-dimentional player...clothes, comedy.

johnkidd
05-30-2006, 06:29 AM
I wonder if the Spadea shirts are some type of dri-fit material? If they are they are so ugly it's be a cool to have one.

pound cat
05-30-2006, 07:38 AM
I wonder if the Spadea shirts are some type of dri-fit material? If they are they are so ugly it's be a cool to have one.

You'd have to wear sign on it to explain exactly what it is, or you'
d be laughed out of town. LOL

dmastous
06-02-2006, 07:44 AM
You'd have to wear sign on it to explain exactly what it is, or you'
d be laughed out of town. LOL

Put a big -;) - on it

OrangeOne
06-02-2006, 07:51 AM

Style? I ask again style? Since when was tennis stylish? ;) Not in the last few decades....

In the 70s and early 80's we had guys in stupidly tight & short shorts, and women trying to play in dresses. In the late 80s, well there was agassi :). In the 90s there was sampras in the pre-nadal stupidly baggy shorts.

I'm sure there's a million other examples, and I haven't even mentioned serena williams :p. Thesedays, well it's all about marketing and image. You may not like the gear you've mentioned, but you've talked about it. That's all the manufacturers really want, people to talk about it. Because when enough people talk about it, and the pros wear it, people buy it. Irrespective of *how* it looks!