PDA

View Full Version : Who are the real Tennis Teachers in the game

BeachTennis
05-29-2006, 11:30 AM
We all no the big names , but you can add them to the list !

Who are the teachers !

I will get it started !

Dennis V

Vic B

Peter B

Harry H

Welby V

Ron H

Robert L

Steve S

Carlos G

Oscar W

Bungalo Bill
05-29-2006, 11:42 AM
We all no the big names , but you can add them to the list !

Who are the teachers !

I will get it started !

Dennis V

Vic B

Peter B

Harry H

Welby V

Ron H

Robert L

Steve S

Carlos G

Oscar W

Well I would have put you (sand face) first! LOL

Can we also mention the countless coaches without the popularity but have also impacted this game with their insight? What about the great college coaches? What about the great junior coaches?

Every coach that takes a child on to the court is a real tennis coach. Eveyr coach that helps a child hold a tennis racquet right is a REAL COACH.

Any coach that is offered lousey pay but loves the game enough to help people learn the game is a REAL COACH.

Who are you man? Who are you to say who the REAL coaches are? The REAL coaches are in the trenches in all mediums man has provided to teach this game. This includes everything, video, court time, internet, DVD's, you name it. The real coaches put their hearts into things, answer questions, demonstrate, present, set goals, attend workshops to improve their skills, etc...

You are one idiotic man to think that the coaches on the high school courts, the public tennis courts, internet sites, junior coaches and the many other coaches that DONT GET A FRICKIN DIME ARE NOT REAL COACHES. You are completely off your rocker to not consider those coaches as REAL coaches.

tonysk83
05-29-2006, 01:04 PM
For sure, takes a lot more to have to take crappy pay and work another part-time job just to teach kids tennis when they won't be a big name player or anything like that.

sureshs
05-29-2006, 01:32 PM
Macci
Lansdorp
Gould
Bollitierri

Bungalo Bill
05-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Macci
Lansdorp
Gould
Bollitierri

What happened to Gilbert? ;) He's pretty good right? :)

sureshs
05-29-2006, 03:25 PM
What happened to Gilbert? ;) He's pretty good right? :)

He came thru for Andre and Andy.

Should not forget about Roche.

Or going much further back, Harry Hopman.

Bungalo Bill
05-29-2006, 03:25 PM

What about Kramer's contributions to the great game of tennis?

BeachTennis
05-29-2006, 03:58 PM
What about Kramer's contributions to the great game of tennis?

And I am not talking about you BB!

what about

Wayne Bryan

Al Secunda

Allen Fox

Paul Xanthos

Bungalo Bill
05-29-2006, 04:01 PM
And I am not talking about you BB!

what about

Wayne Bryan

Al Secunda

Allen Fox

Paul Xanthos

Of course not, that would embarrass you. But I did think about you and mini-tennis? Aren't you the REAL DEAL? ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

Let's see "SAND FACE, the REAL DEAL", LOL

I am glad by the way that you put up Vic's name, I did teach at his college and had a great time, also learned a lot. ;)

Tim Tennis
05-29-2006, 04:10 PM

Brad, give me a break, when he takes a top 100 player and moves him up into the top 10 then I will say he is a great coach. Hell, I could have coached Andre and Andy. Actually I really like Brad a lot now, he does have great incites and truly understands the game. What I like best is when he makes a perdition he will admit when he is wrong. He is usually right on.

I think the best coaches are the ones who can keep their kids interested, motivated and having fun. Sure there is a lot of hard work involved but that is part of the fun.

Bungalo Bill
05-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Brad, give me a break, when he takes a top 100 player and moves him up into the top 10 then I will say he is a great coach. Hell, I could have coached Andre and Andy. Actually I really like Brad a lot now, he does have great incites and truly understands the game. What I like best is when he makes a perdition he will admit when he is wrong. He is usually right on.

I think the best coaches are the ones who can keep their kids interested, motivated and having fun. Sure there is a lot of hard work involved but that is part of the fun.

Maybe so, he took credit. But do you think he lacked insight into Agassi's game and needs when he came back from the grave? Do you really think Agassi would have faired as well without Gilbert?

BeachTennis
05-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Well I would have put you (sand face) first! LOL

Can we also mention the countless coaches without the popularity but have also impacted this game with their insight? What about the great college coaches? What about the great junior coaches?

Every coach that takes a child on to the court is a real tennis coach. Eveyr coach that helps a child hold a tennis racquet right is a REAL COACH.

Any coach that is offered lousey pay but loves the game enough to help people learn the game is a REAL COACH.

Who are you man? Who are you to say who the REAL coaches are? The REAL coaches are in the trenches in all mediums man has provided to teach this game. This includes everything, video, court time, internet, DVD's, you name it. The real coaches put their hearts into things, answer questions, demonstrate, present, set goals, attend workshops to improve their skills, etc...

You are one idiotic man to think that the coaches on the high school courts, the public tennis courts, internet sites, junior coaches and the many other coaches that DONT GET A FRICKIN DIME ARE NOT REAL COACHES. You are completely off your rocker to not consider those coaches as REAL coaches.

There are so many bad coaches out there !

Just do a google serch on tennis coach charged
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tennis+coach+charged

They are everywhere !

Bungalo Bill
05-29-2006, 07:11 PM
There are so many bad coaches out there !

Just do a google serch on tennis coach charged
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tennis+coach+charged

They are everywhere !

Confusious says, there are also a lot of good coaches.

HORNET TENNIS COURTS TO BE DEDICATED ON FRIDAY
Release in pdf format (http://www.emporia.edu/athletics/tennis/04ESUTennisMiltonRelease.pdf)
EMPORIA, KAN. (May 11, 2004)--Emporia State will dedicate their home tennis courts in honor of former tennis coach George Milton on Friday, May 14. The day will begin with a hit around with the current varsity players and alumni at 3:30 p.m. The official dedication of Milton Courts will occur at 5:00 p.m. with a reception to follow at the Emporia Country Club at approximately 5:30 p.m. The event is open to the public.
Milton was head coach of the menís tennis program from 1966-99 and guided the womenís program from 1976-99. He was a five-time NAIA District 10 menís Coach of the Year and two-time womenís Coach of the Year. He guided the menís team to the NAIA National Tournament four times and sent an individual to the NCAA National Tournament once. He led the womenís team to two NAIA National Tournaments. His career dual match record at ESU was 329-170 for the men and 210-133 for the women.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tennis+coach+praised

You are a foolish tennis coach to think there is more bad then good coaches. There are coaches out there that would do anything for their students success. It is ashame that coaches like you like to throw mud at them by using a few bad examples. But this is typical of the Oscarites.

Tim Tennis
05-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Maybe so, he took credit. But do you think he lacked insight into Agassi's game and needs when he came back from the grave? Do you really think Agassi would have faired as well without Gilbert?

Hello BB, good point, who knows on what level he may have helped. You have to admit he was working with one of the greatest talents ever.

Bungalo Bill
05-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Hello BB, good point, who knows on what level he may have helped. You have to admit he was working with one of the greatest talents ever.

Yes, he certainly had talent, talent a coach helped him realize.

Tim Tennis
05-31-2006, 12:31 PM
Yes, he certainly had talent, talent a coach helped him realize.

Now William, you know I am not going to agrue with you, I know when I am out classed.

Bungalo Bill
05-31-2006, 12:32 PM
Now William, you know I am not going to agrue with you, I know when I am out classed.

Hahaha, maybe we can compromise. :)

kevhen
05-31-2006, 12:36 PM
I have learned alot from both Brad Gilbert and Stan Smith's books on tennis.

BeachTennis
05-31-2006, 02:01 PM
Gundars Tilmanis "Til" is an internationally recognized tennis coach, author and lecturer. He graduated from the University of Oregon with a Master's Degree in Physical Education. Til is generally regarded as one of the top teaching clinicians in the world today. Known for his quick wit and extensive teaching background, he is a clinician for both the United States Tennis Association (USTA) and the International Tennis Federation (ITF).

Til is in constant demand as a speaker and has lectured at the USTA Tennis Teacher's Conference in New York, the USPTR International Symposium, and the USPTA International Convention. He has delivered a broad range of tennis related lectures to audiences throughout the world. During the past six years, he has lectured throughout the United States, Japan, Guatemala, Spain, Paraguay, Argentina, Canada and Australia. His innovative, energetic style of coaching has drawn praise throughout the tennis world.

Born in Riga, Latvia, raised in Melbourne, Australia, Til currently resides in Portland, Oregon.

Chris Evert-Awful
05-31-2006, 05:06 PM
I'd say Billie Jean King. There's nobody tennis-smarter. I've learned so, so much just from her match commentary.

Bungalo Bill
05-31-2006, 05:50 PM
I'd say Billie Jean King. There's nobody tennis-smarter. I've learned so, so much just from her match commentary.

Nah, I am for Bobby Riggs, :)

BeachTennis
05-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Nah, I am for Bobby Riggs, :)

But beach has way to much respect for the female athlete

Lost some mixed matches

Hit with the big hitting ladies

Respect:)

Bungalo Bill
05-31-2006, 07:02 PM
But beach has way to much respect for the female athlete

Lost some mixed matches

Hit with the big hitting ladies

Respect:)

Thank goodness you put "hitting" between Big and Ladies.

BeachTennis
05-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Billy Stearns

Billy Stearns is a world class coach. He has developed 24 All-American collegiate athletes, 3 NCAA doubles champions, and 111 State, National, and ITF Junior title holders. Billy has led 6 players to become Top 10 in the ATP and WTA tours, 2 of whom became Wimbledon Champions. Throughout his 25 year coaching career, he has set a pattern of motivating players to achieve their highest potential. He is impressive, creative, committed, demanding, competitive, technical, highly energetic, and intense.

Billy's reputation as a world class coach is built upon his ability to quickly recognize a player's strengths and weaknesses. With his keen eye, he analyzes and breaks down strokes, then rebuilds them until they are technically sound. His one-on-one attention focuses on proper shot selection, technically correct stroke production, balance, match play strategy, a transitional game, confidence and anticipating the ball. Billy is known for his ability to help players exceed their limits to realize their maximum potential. His philosophy is that every individual who gives his or her very best is a winner.

Billy Stearns has been instrumental in helping players attend the following colleges:
American University Penn State University of Michigan
Auburn University Princeton University UNC Chapel Hill
Boston College Purdue University of Pennsylvania
Dartmouth College Samford University University of Texas
Duke University Stanford University University of Virginia
Georgia Institute of Technology Southern Methodist University Vanderbilt University
George Washington University Tufts University Virginia Tech
Georgetown University University of Florida Wake Forest University
Harvard University University of Georgia William and Mary
Louisiana State University University of Illinois Williams College
North Carolina State University of Kentucky Winthrop University
Ohio State University University of Miami Yale University

The list of accomplished players he has coached includes: Goran Ivanisevic, Maria Sharapova, Andrea Jeager, Jeremy Wurtzman, Lilia Osterloh, John Fluerian, Kelley & Yvette Hyndman, Alex Liles, Sunitha Rao, Bonnie Gadusek, Fernando Roasa, Diane Fromholtz Balestrat, Nelson Aerts, Donna Faber, LaVar Harper-Griffith, Jonathan Stokke, Jimmy Brown, Cassio Motto, Betsy Nagelsen, Kathleen Horvath, Bruno Oresar, Cesar Kist, Andreas Bubik, Brandon Wagner, Monte Tucker, Eric Turner, Amanda Granson, Austin Smith, JJ & Brintney Larson, Meg Fanjoy, and Nadja Gilchrist.

BeachTennis
05-31-2006, 08:20 PM
http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=74181&section=sports

OrangeOne
05-31-2006, 08:33 PM

And there's the most understated line in the subject so far - coach of two of the most dominant number 1's ever, and has probably had a hand in shaping the development of every australian player for the last 20+ years!

On the original topic though - I agree with BBill, anyone who has fed a few thousand balls to kids (with the possible exception of pushy parents!) deserves respect.

That said - I think there's nothing sadder to watch than the "wannabe-parent-coach" who *does* stand there for hours, forcing their kids to hit 1000's of balls multiple times a week, but had no idea about technique, thinking repetition alone makes a player great. Such a waste of time for the poor kids. You can see it at any club, depressingly...